Just a very large "Thank You"

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Well as I sit on my DFS sofa eating a large bowl of Tripe, I have a very large smile on my face, wonder who said something along them lines not to long ago!!

Haven only beat us last week as we where rubbish, we are both set for the drop and the sooner folk realise that the better!! todays crowd 621 this after beating us and playing great rugby ;)  and signing the great Brett Seymour !!! what does that tell the RFL. Cumbrian sport has never been as good, CUFC about to drop down, Reds down, Barrrrra  Town , and the Shaven at the foot of the table, plenty for our young fans to be proud off!!!!!

Hope you enjoy your day Mrs R.

#2 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Nilled at home? Surely this can't be true can it?
We were all bitter last week when we were saying we were two bad teams.
I text a lad who I work with today to ask how the new messiah played and his reply was " he's a good tackler". So not all bad then!

I will be honest and say I expected Haven to win at home. Woods must surely be nearing the exit door as I was told today that they were absolutely shocking and some players didn't try or even bother looking like they were having a go. If you can't motivate your team as a coach then you ain't doing your job. Anyone care to summarise what are they saying on deludedfans.com??

I still think we can turn it around if a couple of players come our way but they have rolled their dice now Seymour is in, and there is an awful lot of pressure on the poor lads shoulders to carry the team through. Especially if Woods isn't doing his job.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#3 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

The silly old bat! lol. Just goes to show you can always tell an American, but you can't tell em much!

So, Cumbria Super League team......is it on or is everyone just going to sit and watch the area sink further into the pit of ###### it's currently in?

#4 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

Trouble is a merged west Cumbrian team would have to earn promotion to superleague and at present if you had the choice of both sets of players they would still fall a long way short of that level.

#5 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

The silly old bat! lol. Just goes to show you can always tell an American, but you can't tell em much!

So, Cumbria Super League team......is it on or is everyone just going to sit and watch the area sink further into the pit of ###### it's currently in?

There's  only one answer to that Monkeydo, and that's merger and sooner the better, both teams are a shower of _hite,

#6 Spacecake

Spacecake
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Noo happy to battle on keep your sl

#7 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

When will haven fans waken up.

#8 Billy Bob

Billy Bob
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

"Super League"  who is going to put up the money ? 600 spectators at Haven 400 at Town you certainly can't run a S/L set up on that support, the RLFC will not throw away good money investing in low supported clubs.

World cup games were only well supported due to majority of people getting free or discounted cheap prices, also Allerdale B.C marketed the games really well, with events and entertainment prior and after the games. 

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

No , I'm sorry , the WC games were well attended because it was a once in a decade ( at least ) chance to see top quality rugby and top notch NRL talent . It was a WC in our own town on our own pitch . I'd have paid top whack to watch that whole experience , and so would many others . I didn't hear many say they went because it was on the cheap ... Some Haven fans need to get over their bitterness on the subject . The games , the occasions and players on show sold themselves . I must have missed out on all those free tickets about ?

Edited by DavidM, 28 April 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#10 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Well I got my 2 tickets for half price so they where on the cheap well mine where anyhow

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

The use of the term ' only well supported ' due to folk getting handouts and deals was ridiculous . The matches never got a mention . People will watch good quality rugby with good backing and promotion - especially in an area starved of it for far to long . I think there's only one avenue towards getting there nowadays . The clubs are treading water and to much of that leads to sinking

Edited by DavidM, 28 April 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#12 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

to be fair i couldn,t believe the amount that went to the 2 games i thought 4-5 thousand at the most i remember going to a world cup game i think it was 2000 tonga where playing at DP and the crowd was nowhere near this years figures

#13 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

"Super League" who is going to put up the money ? 600 spectators at Haven 400 at Town you certainly can't run a S/L set up on that support, the RLFC will not throw away good money investing in low supported clubs.

World cup games were only well supported due to majority of people getting free or discounted cheap prices, also Allerdale B.C marketed the games really well, with events and entertainment prior and after the games.

Granted it was marketed well but the rest is a load of rubbish. There'd be far more than 1,000 IF the team was competitive, there'd be more RFL money, more sponsorship and less cost, and to say the RLFC whoever they are assuming you mean the RFL won't throw money away look to london, wales and France for the answer to that!

#14 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Well I got my 2 tickets for half price so they where on the cheap well mine where anyhow

Wasn't it buy one ticket and get the second one at half price? I'm sure that is what is was when I bought mine.

Who in their right mind thinks that a SL team in west Cumbria would only get the crowd that goes to both clubs now? We currently have 2 very poor Championship clubs that people can't see progressing under their own steam to the top of the Championship let alone SL and they have voted with their feet. Both clubs are trying to finish in the top 9 to get around £150k next season instead of £75k in the lower league but a team in SL1 will be looking at about £1.7 million from central funds. Now in anybody's language that's a tidy sum to build a team with!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#15 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Granted it was marketed well but the rest is a load of rubbish. There'd be far more than 1,000 IF the team was competitive, there'd be more RFL money, more sponsorship and less cost, and to say the RLFC whoever they are assuming you mean the RFL won't throw money away look to london, wales and France for the answer to that!

You don't need to go that far just look who holds the lease to the Rec!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#16 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

If/ when SL Cumbria goes belly up, what will we be left with - amateur rugby and you never know the main teams could be the likes of Wath Brow, Egremont, etc who are well run teams and not a million miles away regarding support. If the merger goes ahead the stadium has to be based in a town and not a white elephant at Lillyhall.

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

I would think the planning would include a feasibility study into maintaining the clubs as part of the franchise . You need a structure for players and development . A SL team would be an elite . There'd be many players left , and what an incentive having a SL team on your doorstep and being in that system . Adding an elite tier shouldn't automatically mean ripping up everything that exists if the player pool is here But we're way down the line ! It's hard to envisage anything happening anytime soon .

Edited by DavidM, 28 April 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#18 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

If/ when SL Cumbria goes belly up, what will we be left with - amateur rugby and you never know the main teams could be the likes of Wath Brow, Egremont, etc who are well run teams and not a million miles away regarding support. If the merger goes ahead the stadium has to be based in a town and not a white elephant at Lillyhall.

neither set of fans will support a SL team in the oppisite town and DP and the rec aren't SL standard.to be successful the team needs the support of BOTH towns fan bases.Why do you say a stadium at lillyhall would be a white elephant???

#19 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

neither set of fans will support a SL team in the oppisite town and DP and the rec aren't SL standard.to be successful the team needs the support of BOTH towns fan bases.Why do you say a stadium at lillyhall would be a white elephant???

#20 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Just my opinion, can' t see beyond an out of town concrete monstrosity, which will be under used and go belly up like Darlington AFC's new stadium that also lacked the support base. What will it cost to support a new stadium out of town regarding season tickets, admission on top of forking out for travel, refreshment, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users