Just a very large "Thank You"

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 Haven2010

Haven2010
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

Picture it Friday night just finished work sun splitting trees , off too Cumbria vrs Wigan few pints deffo get 3 to 4 thousand easy

#22 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

How do you get to DP now town blue? And what do you do for refreshments now?

You might be one of the lucky ones that can just walk to the ground in 5 or 10 minutes but a large majority travel to the ground from further away and whatever refreshments you have now should be easily available in a brand new stadium with the profits staying with the club not an outside body.

Do you know in Brisbane on match days if you have bought your ticket in advance you can just jump on a bus, show your match ticket and get a free ride to the ground or nearby. Surely it is not beyond our abilities to come up with such a scheme from both towns!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#23 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

Just my opinion, can' t see beyond an out of town concrete monstrosity, which will be under used and go belly up like Darlington AFC's new stadium that also lacked the support base. What will it cost to support a new stadium out of town regarding season tickets, admission on top of forking out for travel, refreshment, etc.

its lillyhall not london. Transport links to both towns by road are easily accessible. Large open spaces for a site plus car parking etc . season tickets and refreshments would probably be the same prices as other SL clubs. Park and rides could be an option from each town if fans want to have a drink.

Edited by town4me, 28 April 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#24 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

Stated in my post, jusy my opinion and you never know a deal maybe struck up with the Transport Heritage people to organise cheap transport (lol). All I care about is the here and now and how we will shock Halifax on Sunday. UP THE TOWN.

#25 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 852 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Seems like one more has jumped ship at haven, it says on their site that Chris Smith has had enough, at this rate they wont have a team left, don't do out daft coach Woods, don't let them beat you, you are doing a great job, keep it up :biggrin:

#26 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

All I care about is the here and now and how we will shock Halifax on Sunday. UP THE TOWN.

Sadly too many Town AND Haven fans only think about the here and now and that's why both clubs are dying. You only have to look at the number of Haven fans who spat their dummies out yesterday and won't go back until the chubby one has gone....

We should all wait and see how this new  "report" comes out before condemning it.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#27 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

But at least they are a ever dwindling group,I agree let's see what the review brings to the table before deriding it,most open minded fans realise things cant carry on as they are.

#28 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

The thing is, both camps probably haven't made investigations as to why they are barely getting 1,000 fans between them.
A few opinions on here are a start, but they need the opinions of the hundreds who aren't flocking to DP or the Rec now, even if they don't like the results

#29 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

The thing is, both camps probably haven't made investigations as to why they are barely getting 1,000 fans between them.
A few opinions on here are a start, but they need the opinions of the hundreds who aren't flocking to DP or the Rec now, even if they don't like the results

good points shaun.some of the hundreds and even thousands who turned up for the RLWC games must be some of the stay away fans from both sides. Fans who put the WC attendances down say it was the same people went to both games which I dont think entirely is true. So take the say 7k who allegedly attended both games remove the 1400 that attended the recent derby thats still 5.6k that attended to watch a higher standard of rugby. I am personally not 100% convinced on a merger yet but am willing to let the review bring its findings and see if and whats possible.

#30 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Even with a merger I don't see them giving us a superleague place now that promotion,relegation has been brought back but maybe a competitive championship team with a fully funded youth system,a 5 year plan to help us develop a stadium,sponsorship,lotteries,improve links with the amateur clubs,expand the support base which could then lead us into superleague place might be a better result of the review and would be better for the merged team in the long run as it would then be based on strong foundations.but hey what do I know I'm only a supporter.

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Really fair points . With the franchise system out for promotion and relegation, parachuting a new franchise in would go against the new grain ... And they're reducing numbers , so to put Cumbria in will take a hell of a lot of negotiation and persuasion , and if numbers are set then someone has to vote themselves out! Do you want a merger with the lure of SL only maybe down the line ? Building a strong base first seems sensible , but not being in SL will make it a harder sell , and Cumbria being in the championship would pretty much put the kibosh on any future for the separate clubs . For such a big change I'd want a SL place as part of the bargain .I agree that it's yet to be fully convincing , but looking into everything is fair enough . There is an awful lot to look into though the more you look at it !!

Edited by DavidM, 29 April 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#32 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Even with a merger I don't see them giving us a superleague place now that promotion,relegation has been brought back but maybe a competitive championship team with a fully funded youth system,a 5 year plan to help us develop a stadium,sponsorship,lotteries,improve links with the amateur clubs,expand the support base which could then lead us into superleague place might be a better result of the review and would be better for the merged team in the long run as it would then be based on strong foundations.but hey what do I know I'm only a supporter.

Davo5, that is more or less how I have always envisaged it. We could become a very strong force in the Championship and building towards SL. The stadium has always been the stumbling block but I'm sure ways could be found to get one built mid-way between the two towns but in the meantime use both grounds for the first and Under 20's teams alternating. I do believe that the tide is turning in favour of one team despite what one or two at each club shout. Players, current and past, coaches, current and past, supporters mainly past all see it as the way forward so why are we being held back by a noisy minority?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#33 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm not sure we could sell a merger to watch what we're already watching . If the will is there locally and the snowball grows , we need the RFL and SL to join the party and provide the incentive . A county side would enhance their comp . Everyone needs to pull for us . With SL funds we could get one competitive squad of ex - pat Cumbrians , overseas , British players and the cream of the club and local talent .

Edited by DavidM, 29 April 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#34 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

I think a merger would be better than a new seperate team as I couldn't see familys or even single attending fans going to watch a seperate club and then haven or town on the sunday due to cost. The thing with a competitive championship side is would the required standard of player move up here or commute to play RL alongside our better locals.

#35 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

This is all good craic . There's no right or wrong . We're talking about it , and that shows the way the wind is blowing . No doubt all these things and many more will get discussed behind the scenes if the scene is set ... More to the point in the short term ,can we win some matches please this year and give us some hope with the set up we have now !!!! And hopefully we'll hear some news about town again sometime soon ...

Edited by DavidM, 29 April 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#36 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

They also serve who stand and wait ................

#37 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Milton ... Knew his rugby that lad

Edited by DavidM, 29 April 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#38 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

This is all good craic . There's no right or wrong . We're talking about it , and that shows the way the wind is blowing . No doubt all these things and many more will get discussed behind the scenes if the scene is set ... More to the point in the short term ,can we win some matches please this year and give us some hope with the set up we have now !!!! And hopefully we'll hear some news about town again sometime soon ...

Sounds like the game is more important to you all than the club.

#39 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Sounds like the game is more important to you all than the club.

the club is important but no one can deny there real problems with semi pro RL at the moment. Need I mention the last home attendance and really everyone should welcome a review of whats going on. I would be more worried about the club if the RFL sat back and watched the decline going on and did nothing.

#40 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

451 watched us play the double league champions ... 451 . I think that's chilling . We'd be struggling to have a club if things slide on like that . No one is saying jump in feet first - but it costs little to explore avenues and take soundings , and maybe save rugby here rather than see it disappear into the lowest rugby anonymity if struggles continue ? It's worth having a debate , if you didn't care about the club you wouldn't be bothered .

Edited by DavidM, 30 April 2014 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users