Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Just a very large "Thank You"

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#81 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

IT as got to the stage where PV as to come up with either some  signings, or get the loans or    DR from WIGAN that we need ,other wise it is going to be to late to make it work as we thought it was going to,WE NEED THOSE PLAYERS NOW NOT IN TWO OR THREE WEEKS TIME, LETS HOPE IT STARTS THIS WEEK.

#82 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

IT as got to the stage where PV as to come up with either some signings, or get the loans or DR from WIGAN that we need ,other wise it is going to be to late to make it work as we thought it was going to,WE NEED THOSE PLAYERS NOW NOT IN TWO OR THREE WEEKS TIME, LETS HOPE IT STARTS THIS WEEK.

agreed. Games are coming and going and we need these key positions adressed NOW.

#83 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

It's got to the stage where someone at the club has to tell the fans what the situation is!!! Today's local rag is a regurgitation of two pieces that were in the League Weekly on Monday morning, which I mentioned on Monday morning on this forum. Then on our own website the Kingstone Championship Team News gives every other games news except Town. Our own newspaper the T & S didn't even have more than a couple of inches or so about Town last week and not much more the week before that. Come on Town the fans deserve better than this!! Do we want to promote the club to the public or just expect them to come along to matches?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#84 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Abu , town for me , Keith ... Spot on . It's been 8 months of frustrations and teasing possibilities and craic ... And we have what we already had and Mcavoy for all that . If we've put all our eggs in the DR basket , or that's all there is to help as of now , it's got to have a major , ready to go , impact as of now . Our recruitment has been lighter than anyone in the league - and those two blokes we got aren't here any more ! Why it was so difficult for us to strengthen is still the big unanswered question to be answered sometime . As of now , we have to quickly do whatever we can to boost our strength and compete in this make or break next period . If we don't we've no chance against these teams awaiting us ... Then it'll be to late

Edited by DavidM, 01 May 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#85 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

It's got to the stage where someone at the club has to tell the fans what the situation is!!! Today's local rag is a regurgitation of two pieces that were in the League Weekly on Monday morning, which I mentioned on Monday morning on this forum. Then on our own website the Kingstone Championship Team News gives every other games news except Town. Our own newspaper the T & S didn't even have more than a couple of inches or so about Town last week and not much more the week before that. Come on Town the fans deserve better than this!! Do we want to promote the club to the public or just expect them to come along to matches?

They don't come anyway. People can say what they want about promotion but if the product isn't of interest to enough people it's pointless the club blowing their money on something that isn't going to being people in and putting team news on the Town site certainly won't as it's only town fans that look at it!

Nobody knew who was going to be in the Chelsea team until 1pm last Sunday but nobody rambled on about that and it certainly wouldn't have affected the gate at Anfield because the product was such it could've been sold 10 times over.

Just hope we have more of a go at entertaining than Chelsea do!!

#86 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Abu , town for me , Keith ... Spot on . It's been 8 months of frustrations and teasing possibilities and craic ... And we have what we already had and Mcavoy for all that . If we've put all our eggs in the DR basket , or that's all there is to help as of now , it's got to have a major , ready to go , impact as of now . Our recruitment has been lighter than anyone in the league - and those two blokes we got aren't here any more ! Why it was so difficult for us to strengthen is still the big unanswered question to be answered sometime . As of now , we have to quickly do whatever we can to boost our strength and compete in this make or break next period . If we don't we've no chance against these teams awaiting us ... Then it'll be to late

Or the club could put in the paper that they have nobody so won't be signing anyone, I bet that wouldn't half boost the crowd!!

The majority of people in West Cumbria will know Town are at home on Sunday but attendance, other than die hards (and a few who may attend if Wigan send some big names), will be solely dependant of the team winning so if they aren't winning people aren't going to attend regardless of what's in the paper, on the website or anywhere else for that matter

#87 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Didn't you say you were in marketing, Geordie Townie? I have to differ from you because I quite often get asked if Town have a match this week. Of course the big soccer matches sell themselves, that's a poor comparison to use. The Comets are showing increased attendances this season, I believe, simply through better PR and publicity in the local newspapers, etc,. It is early in their season so no-one knows if this years team is better than last years but they are selling their product to the public. Yes, a winning team will bring in the crowds but if your not winning then that is the time for more PR and publicity surely? It does help to know who is going to be playing, maybe not for your Liverpool's or Chelsea's because they are nearly all international players but at our level it does help if you know that we are capable of putting out a competitive team before paying out the £15 entrance fee.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#88 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Just don,t know how you come to think that the majority of people in west cumbria will know town are at home to FAX this Sunday, i would say the majority would,nt know where the ground is?????

#89 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

New signings and better players may make it possible to win more games ... To get more fans ? We're not winning because we didn't strengthen or have a successful offseason . Crusaders and Rochdale came up and strengthened , including some real quality . We were in a better position than quite a few clubs , but got left behind . And if no one would come up here ... We got Calders , Thacks etc , so there must be more to it than that . The off season is biting us now , as we knew it would

Edited by DavidM, 01 May 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#90 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

I live away and come over for games regularly but all my mates and all of the people know Town are at home, has does my family so they can't be in the minority as it's usually on the Border News and it's also in the Times & Star and also the News & Star.

The Premiership is the perfect comparison as it's top quality and that what's generates demand and just like every other industry Rugby League is about supply and demand.

Regarding recruitment the amount of money needing to be spent to ensure regular wins would comfortably outweigh any additional gate revenue as we saw last season where we had a better team than the year before but lost more games so the average gate went down.

From a financial point of view marketing is only worthwhile if it generates more than it costs and the product we currently have compared to a World Cup game for example couldn't recoup the initial capital expenditure. Therefore from a financial pint of view the club would then need to use money that could be spent on players without a net gain at the end deeming it unwise in my opinion.

But it's all about opinions I suppose.

#91 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

We lost more games but were in a harder league. We may enjoy watching us win in champ one , and a few more may turn up ...But that's only a small part of the overall argument . From a financial , status , recruitment , player retention , viability etc standpoint , it's imperative we cling on in this league . They outweigh the pleasure of watching us stuff Hemel and Oxford . We have to give our best shot from now . No ifs or buts if it goes belly up . We've been cautious and not spent much , but within reason we need to go for it now to get the spot that's there for someone to take . We need max from DR and hopefully some new blood . Otherwise we're going with a whimper and other stronger sides will push us aside and get the rewards for what they put in

Edited by DavidM, 01 May 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#92 Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hello to Mr Keith T.

You mentioned on this string that the Town club do not communicate with their fans enough.

I remember you saying exactly the same thing 10 yrs(+) ago, and thinking then how right you were.

So why has nothing improved down the years with the clubs stance toward the local media?

I, like you, do have some feelings/opinions as to why WTRLFC seem less than enthusiastic to provide 'club news' for us all, but what can be done to remedy

the attitude prevalent at DP by outside influences like us?  I remember doing a voluntary job for quite a while at DP, and pulling my hair out with frustration.

To be honest I can't see West Cumbria ever getting a SL franchise  - unless both clubs wise up and really 'sell the great game' to the local public.

A public who incidentally were aroused by the world cup games. Never mind ticket discounts and all that tosh mentioned by some - the crowds flocked to DP because of the publicity given to the events, and it paid off handsomely.

#93 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

Wasn't the publicity mate, although that did increase the attendance, it was the quality of the product. I've never saw any stats but I'd bet my life the majority of the floating fans purchased tickets AFTER it was revealed there'd be NRL players and SL players on display. That and giving tickets away in schools for next to nothing and they'd only have taken them as it would've been marketed as a once in a lifetime event for the pupils I'd imagine. And before anyone suggests Town try that one they did last year and it failed if my memory serves me right. But again that's down to the product.

People picking up the paper couldn't care less if one of the players have had a haircut and how often the clubs are mentioned they just need to know that it's Town v Fax and not Town (or West Cumbria) v Wigan and that's what they'll make the decision whether they attend on.

#94 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Hi Chrome Dome, the reason it hasn't improved, in my opinion, is that the number of directors hasn't grown and therefore there is less people to speak to the press/media. However, if prepared statements were made then anyone at the club could give it to the media, it doesn't always have to be a director.

There are many ways that you can get publicity without it costing a fortune.

#95 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:13 PM

I agree about the WC games . It was a once in a lifetime chance to see such players and such occasions . Awesome stuff . I still remember seeing Henry Perenara standing on the pitch an hour before kick off taking endless photos . The quality and the WC coming to our back garden was attraction number one

#96 Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

"Wasn't the publicity mate, although that did increase the attendance, it was the quality of the product. I've never saw any stats but I'd bet my life the majority of the floating fans purchased tickets AFTER it was revealed there'd be NRL players and SL players on display".....

...here, here...so then Geordie Townie - wasn't that good 'publicity' courting fans prior to match.... mate?

KT.........................energy/drive needed to do such tasks, I'll say no more.

#97 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

three lads at training from Wigan tonight MURPHY, FARRELL ,MaNFREDI.

#98 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

That's not good

#99 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

That's not good

Doesn't mean that's all we will get, Wigan play Friday so we could get other players.

#100 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

Good point . I guess there'll have an extended squad to trim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users