Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

France's player pool

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

I noticed from the line-up today that around 10 out of the starting 15 for Toulon were non-French players. If that is happening across the board (Top 14) then it must be hitting the French player pool quite dramatically?

I know France haven't had the best year but it looks like the overseas splurge on players is going to continue. Is it the same situation in French RU as exists in the Premier League where the big club bosses have little or no interest in the development of the national team?

Money talks and that is where everyone seems to be heading no matter which country or which competition you play in.

#2 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

I noticed from the line-up today that around 10 out of the starting 15 for Toulon were non-French players. If that is happening across the board (Top 14) then it must be hitting the French player pool quite dramatically?

I know France haven't had the best year but it looks like the overseas splurge on players is going to continue. Is it the same situation in French RU as exists in the Premier League where the big club bosses have little or no interest in the development of the national team?

Money talks and that is where everyone seems to be heading no matter which country or which competition you play in.

They benefit from playing in a strong league. Otherwise it'd be like transferring the best French players into the ProD2. Other teams have more French players.

#3 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

I was curious to know which of the two finalists, Saracens or Toulon, would field the most English players.

Everybody's favourite rugby player, Chris Ashton, had quite a game for Sarries in the semi-final setting a new tournament try scoring record.

28m391z.jpg

#4 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

8 Kicks at Goal.................Does n't matter what nationality you are...the sport is garbage
[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#5 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

8 Kicks at Goal.................Does n't matter what nationality you are...the sport is garbage

There were over 60,000 at the two semi-finals, so many people don't agree with you.

I wish RL had the number of teams to have a European competition.The Heineken Cup or it's successor is a great competition.I have enjoyed many trips to the continent to see games .

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

What the scoreboard says does not reflect the quality of the game or what happened on the field.  I thought that game was a rare professional union game that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Compare that with the Saracens game on Saturday that bored me witless but had plenty of tries.  Tries do not necessarily make a game exciting.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 Vambo

Vambo
  • Coach
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed the Toulon v Munster game. When Toulon 'click' they're a magnificent rugby team. Habana was really starting to cause Munster all sorts of problems before being subbed. I presume he came off injured or as a precaution?

Posted Image

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed the Toulon v Munster game. When Toulon 'click' they're a magnificent rugby team. Habana was really starting to cause Munster all sorts of problems before being subbed. I presume he came off injured or as a precaution?

He seems to burn himself out quite quickly these days and doesn't seem to have the stamina to last a full game.  He can be a bit of a liability in defence when he's tiring so probably a coach knowing his player and eliminating defensive risks.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#9 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Tries do not necessarily make a game exciting.

Heresy!

I watched both the semi-finals, and the Leeds v Saints game, and the only one that I ever really got caught up in was the Toulon v Munster game. And I can't be doing with Munster. Or Toulon for that matter.

#10 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

What the scoreboard says does not reflect the quality of the game or what happened on the field.  I thought that game was a rare professional union game that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Compare that with the Saracens game on Saturday that bored me witless but had plenty of tries.  Tries do not necessarily make a game exciting.

Got to agree with this. I am quick to get on here and have a chuckle at a 27-21 without a try being scored. But to me the only entertaining Union games I have enjoyed has been where there is genuine attacking intent from both sides. Sometimes, sadly, the rules and 30 bodies on the pitch prohibit tries being scored and while ever you can reward a team with 3 points for a penalty or dg then teams will continue to take them. 

Edited by Scubby, 28 April 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

There were over 60,000 at the two semi-finals, so many people don't agree with you.

I wish RL had the number of teams to have a European competition.The Heineken Cup or it's successor is a great competition.I have enjoyed many trips to the continent to see games .

I'll bet if the 70,000 who attended the RLWC final between Eng and NZ had attended they would have walked before half time or torn down the goal posts to put a stop to the kickathon.

#12 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

I'll bet if the 70,000 who attended the RLWC final between Eng and NZ had attended they would have walked before half time or torn down the goal posts to put a stop to the kickathon.

did you actually watch the game ?

#13 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Which mythical RLWC final was this?

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Again, it's not the number of trys but the ratio of trys scored that I don't like. If there is one try in a game, that's fine but it should be the team that scores it who win the match, not the team who know how to get penalties more effectively.

#15 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Again, it's not the number of trys but the ratio of trys scored that I don't like. If there is one try in a game, that's fine but it should be the team that scores it who win the match, not the team who know how to get penalties more effectively.

What if they stopped by the opposition from scoring tries illegally. What should happen then?

#16 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,345 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

The attendance at Twikkers was heavily criticised (25000) in one of the Sunday papers with photos of vast arrays of green seats.

I was staying in the same hotel as Clermont-Auvergne and speaking to one of their coaching staff on Saturday morning it struck me that they weren't that confident, and so it proved.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

What if they stopped by the opposition from scoring tries illegally. What should happen then?

Change the rules to discourage such negative play.

#18 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

A quick squiz at the USAP squad seems to show that around half of the first team squad are overseas players.

I think that if you look at the spread of the players they are in what are key positions:  props, stand off, goal kicker, Full back, 2nd rowers and centres.

They are about to be relegated to ProD2 unless miracles happen on the last day of the season.  

I will lose some rather good customers…..

Edited by timtum, 28 April 2014 - 05:08 PM.

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#19 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

It's always good to get an informed expert opinion. So which of these two won to be crowned RLWC champions....?

28m391z.jpg

#20 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:17 AM

It's always good to get an informed expert opinion. So which of these two won to be crowned RLWC champions....?

So you spotted a typo omission. Have a gold star. I believe there was one penalty goal in the final. damn poor eh.