Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dr's for rest of season

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

At the player launch we were given a team numbers list with 5 DR's. We know that Mullaley has gone to Bulls, Johnson is currently getting selected at Giants, Aspinall had gone out on loan to somebody else (strange that, seeing as he was Dr'd to us!!), we have at different times played Blackmore, Mason, Connor, Fairbank (that's 7 DR names so far), plus we have brought in on loan Trout, Brown and Brown, signed Griffin and Martin. Just who are our current DR players? If a team starts with a permitted number, is it the number that's important or the names of those registered? It must be the number for the numerical reason given above, so just who is available to us, and are Giants keeping our options open by offering other players? Also, due to the link up, is Black being treated under their medical auspices? I must admit to being DR's most violent opponent last year as I felt that it was keeping out our own good players, but I must also admit to being its' greatest advocate this season as we need something from somewhere for this season's important push. Am I being paranoid? Is our season about to burst out (we hope for this every game) and ride us on the crest of a wave to victory after victory and will all our concerns simply fade away?

#2 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

am told we have a couple out with knocks too from dews game, like you say aspinall to eagles when he were our dr dident make sense but to be fair he were papola same as conner, doubt we will get fairbank again and we could a done with him for dews game thats that now. if likes been said nobody else is coming in then were stuffed simple as that, i think out of what we have left we have 9 good players and rest simply aint up to this level. they say build it and they will come well batleys teams been torn to shreds. :(

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

All of the Giants squad could be registered as DR's with you provided that no more than five are active at any one time, I believe. Hence the list that was announced at the start of the season quickly becomes an irrelevance.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Yesterday’s Whitehaven result against NWC got me to thinking about how this division is panning out. Up to now, only Leigh have shown any consistency, with many other teams having a roller coaster of a season, and very few supporters of any of the teams seem to be entirely satisfied with their teams performances.

Despite the fact that we have appeared to be awful, and posters on here have been bagging and naming payers for their dire performances, we still sit in 7th place. We could be doing even better if we had not succumbed to Rochdale in such abject manner. Doncaster are proving to be more than formidable opponents not just for us but for everyone else this season. The Leigh match, in hindsight was one we were woefully underprepared for and in an awful lot of turmoil due to betting gate.

I suppose all my ramblings are saying that all is not yet lost. Yes we need to pick up and improve, but so do a number of other teams around us and nothing is settled as far as form is concerned.

At the risk of being accused of whatever I will be accused of, I do see talent in our team, and am still hopeful of the team gelling and becoming stronger.

If I had to make two criticisms it would be;

1. The obvious one that we are clearly under strength from a numbers point of view, particularly now that Scott is a long term absentee, and
  2. That perhaps our aspirations were raised a little too high at the beginning of the season, with talk of being in the hunt for silverware. Clearly it is a difficult task to replace almost a whole successful team from last year. Maybe it would have been better to describe us as a team who had expectations of a decent play-off place, but still being in transition.

Anyway, that’s my lunchtime gone so I will lie back and look towards Whitehaven at home(still with some trepidation!)

#5 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think our next couple of games against Whitehaven at home and Barrow away should bag us 6 points. If it doesn't then we are relegation candidates. If we do then a top 7 finish should be for us 

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#6 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

Fair and sensible comment Distantdog and BSJ, would just be nice for lub to let us know where they all are and who we could possibly get.

#7 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

See that Fairbank has gone to Wakefield and Mason to Oldham on loan, so of the original 7, only Blackmore is likely to be available to us at the weekend assuming Connor has gone back to the Giants under 19s. (Aspinall at Sheffield and Mullally and Johnson in the Giants match day squads). DR not really working this year unlike last when Mullally, Johnson and Fairbank were regulars.

#8 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

I'm not having a go but jk might not want to us them unlike blackmore he is trying to settle his squad

#9 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

Kear's stated intention at the beginning of the season was to rely more on his DR's, that's why we went with a small squad. \now we have a small squad and little in the way of DR as well. Are the club in contact with Giants to pick up replacements? Obviously the chairman reads the forum as he has posted on it himself, so please KN let us know of anything in the pipeline.

#10 vile rodders

vile rodders
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hudds. treat us just like kirklees treat Batley an Dewsbury with utter contempt,

they would be the last side i would have paired up with.But this situation just

shows how pathetic the DR system is,if we get relegated we only have ourselves 

to blame, our squad is paper thin.

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Maybe, but do you think that any other SL club have the interests of their Championship "partners" in their hearts?

DR is designed to benefit SL clubs first and foremost, and the sooner that all clubs realise this the better.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

And this is why i've against DR from the very start, i can see why we went down that road due to economics bust still a ###### system

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#13 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Maybe, but do you think that any other SL club have the interests of their Championship "partners" in their hearts?

DR is designed to benefit SL clubs first and foremost, and the sooner that all clubs realise this the better.

Couldn't agree more, but why restrict the observation to DR?   Since the day Sky stepped in and the super league set up took over, not a single decision has been reached that benefitted anyone except the Super league clubs - and no-one should be more aware of that than Batley.  The Turkeys have the vote, why expect Christmas to continue. Self-preservation is the strongest animal instinct.

#14 Haven2010

Haven2010
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

We have 16 fit players today topped up by 1 duel reg, DR is rubbish and will kill clubs like us off for good.

#15 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

We have 16 fit players today topped up by 1 duel reg, DR is rubbish and will kill clubs like us off for good.

You only need 17! If there was no DR you wouldn't have a team so surely it's helping you today.

#16 Haven2010

Haven2010
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Yeh but in long run its scaring off all the amateur s from wath brow, Kells and egremont because they know they will not play because off dr

#17 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

Since the day Sky stepped in and the super league set up took over, not a single decision has been reached that benefitted anyone except the Super league clubs - and no-one should be more aware of that than Batley.  The Turkeys have the vote, why expect Christmas to continue. Self-preservation is the strongest animal instinct.

But why would you even expect anything else, it is what it is, Super League.

#18 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Yeh but in long run its scaring off all the amateur s from wath brow, Kells and egremont because they know they will not play because off dr

Thats 100% fact, there are dozens of amateurs who could be plying their trade in the Championship but Championship clubs themselves are strangling the amateurs from stepping up a grade because they see it as easier and cheaper to bring in the DR players, as a short term fix it might work but in the long term all it does is disrupt the whole squad,(look at us now) the sooner the Championship clubs very own chairmen open their eyes and look at the bigger picture the better off the Championship will be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users