Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Match Report Centurions vs Rovers CC

Featherstone Rovers Leigh Centurions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

A game that provided a great spectacle until the final ten minutes, when it became hard to watch. Rovers matched the hosts in dominance, but were unable to match their execution. They will have the chance to take revenge when the sides in the league next week, meanwhile here is a report to help you relive the painful experience.Attached File  Match Report Centurions v Rovers CC.doc   37KB   47 downloads

#2 Wireagle

Wireagle
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

I posted previously that I was going to attend the game instead of Warrington's, and I'm pleased I did. It was an outstanding contest and thoroughly deserved to have had due recognition from the BBC of being televised. They let Rugby League down there.

I thought Feathersone were excellent, but I have one observation. Leigh tackled much better. I didn't think they showed any fundemental structural defensive shortcoming, while there were one or two areas where I thought Fev were leaky on too many occasions. With the amount of ball and territory Fev enjoyed, if the tackling had matched Leigh's, the result would have been different.

I thought Fev's support was excellent. I hope the morons who threw stuff on the pitch at Leigh's first try get identified and banned. That's the only way to get rid of these people The rest of the support don't deserve the stain they (and others like them at most clubs) represent.

#3 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

A very good and fair report, Joseph - thank you.

One small point though. You rightly mention injuries to key forwards, but Leigh also lost the services of two players - Sam Hopkins and the hugely influential Martyn Ridyard. Hopefully they, along with Jamie Acton (a late cry-off) and your injured forwards, recover in time for what is sure to be another close, hard-fought encounter next week. In the overall scheme of things, victory next week, could be far more important than yesterday's match.

Here's to another cracker!

#4 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

Wireagle..thanks for that; Like you I thought the game would have come across as one to enjoy by a neutral; As a Fev fan I noticed from start to finish that our defence was always in panic mode; As for the morons..the club are dealing with it;

#5 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

A very good and fair report, Joseph - thank you.

One small point though. You rightly mention injuries to key forwards, but Leigh also lost the services of two players - Sam Hopkins and the hugely influential Martyn Ridyard. Hopefully they, along with Jamie Acton (a late cry-off) and your injured forwards, recover in time for what is sure to be another close, hard-fought encounter next week. In the overall scheme of things, victory next week, could be far more important than yesterday's match.

Here's to another cracker!

Thank you. This report is posted on our website, therefore I focus on the Featherstone team as their fans are the key target audience. Readers from other clubs are always appreciated and I always attempt to commend attractive rugby from our opposition. Your lads certainly showed us how to be clinical yesterday and whilst I fear it will not be the case, I hope both sides are at full strength for next week. If this is the case we're in for another thriller (different result ofcourse.)

#6 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Leigh tackled much better. I didn't think they showed any fundemental structural defensive shortcoming,

Agreed, there was often a lot of pressure on the pivots. In particular Andy Kain struggled to get clean passes away all game. This cut out the supply to our outside backs, who given the opportunity will reap havoc upon any defence. You could see this by Ian Hardman's positive performance, as being fullback he receives it with more time.

#7 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

correct...leigh's tactics were to try and suffocate kain and Moore which they did whilst we give their halves all the time in the world....all in all I dont think we were that far away and we had enough chances to win the game. losing the two forwards had a major impact on the final 20 mins and when you look at the bombed chance by cording, moore held up just short, hurst just stopped short, Ellis try chalked off, flanagan went himself instead of passing when we had a 3 on 1 overlap, and the missed kicks the result could have been completely different. One of the leigh tries came from a ball to ground by Kain when if it hits mendeika we score again going four tries to one up.....a dodgy call for Leighs last try to award them the scrum in our twenty....I am sure we will have them at our place at the weekend that really is the important game....we were never going to win the challenge cup.

#8 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Comparing half-backs; Andy Kain has become more creative since Liam Finn left, and his tactical kicking has improved immensely, but because of this he is not getting into the positions where he can cut through defences like Ryan Brierley did yesterday. Brierley is very much like Andy Kain used to be (and we miss that) but he is not a great creative player yet, if he was he would be world class.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Featherstone Rovers, Leigh Centurions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users