Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

club statement

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

I noticed Brierley kept himself  well away from the action today until Leigh got on top. I also noticed that when he eventually scored, he didn't throw the ball into the crowd as he says on Twitter is his habit.

Fev's game plan involved getting in his face, which created space around him, a case in point was the ball to Haggerty which led to the McNally try which imo won the game. Great head to pop over the DG and mean the bonus point was dead too. Then you have his instinct and pace for his try.

You targeted him in defence and he stood up brilliantly, a quiet word in his hear about his responsibilities probably stopped him throwing the ball as he normally does - he will carry on when its to the Leigh fans though.

You put a lot of pressure on your players with the alleged £750 win bonus yesterday, was that a reaction to someone on here saying there was a poor bonus on offer for the CC game?

#42 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

sweaty.... Brierley is great at backing up and being on someones shoulder....he is not creative in any way, his passing is poor,(probably because he rarely passes the ball) his defence is also poor and that is why he is not playing SL.....If you lost ridyard & Beswick for any period of time you would rudderless and be in real trouble if you were relying on brierley.

I think Brierley would have more of a chance of playing in SL as a full back but not HB.

I remember all the hype about another skinny little runt of a 'half back' playing for whitehaven a few years ago, who scored a hat trick on debut on sky and all of a sudden every SL club wanted to sign him.....huddersfield won the race and signed him.
They soon realised that he was nowhere near a SL quality half back and he played for their academy for 3 seasons.....he then moved to Leigh - as a full back.

#43 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

Opinions are great, we all have them.

#44 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

..........................and Featherstone have Gareth Moore.

#45 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Brierley is a good player, full stop

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#46 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

I noticed Brierley kept himself  well away from the action today until Leigh got on top. I also noticed that when he eventually scored, he didn't throw the ball into the crowd as he says on Twitter is his habit.

I have to respectfully disagree there. His 40-20 came at a crucial stage in the game and his defence (an issue in the past) was outstanding. I'm confused by all the negativity towards him as I can honestly say he is one of the nicest lads you will ever meet.

#47 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

I have to respectfully disagree there. His 40-20 came at a crucial stage in the game and his defence (an issue in the past) was outstanding. I'm confused by all the negativity towards him as I can honestly say he is one of the nicest lads you will ever meet.

I agree with you G.O. Ryan is a very nice, level-headed, humble guy. Like all youngsters, he will make mistakes, but he will also learn from them. By his own admission, he has a lot to learn about the sport, but he's also got many outstanding attributes. I wonder if there's a club in the Championship who wouldn't like to have him? ;)

#48 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

Besides his try, drop goal, and 40-20, Brierley also created the space for Pitman to score, and wasn't he the one who darted into the line on his own 20 to release Haggerty on his 40m run to put McNally in? He was much more than a finisher on Sunday. 

#49 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

Besides his try, drop goal, and 40-20, Brierley also created the space for Pitman to score, and wasn't he the one who darted into the line on his own 20 to release Haggerty on his 40m run to put McNally in? He was much more than a finisher on Sunday.

Spot on Steve, you guys have a great squad and after your efforts in recent years deserve to be in the two, it's all to play for still but I still can't get my head around losing Powell last year