TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sixty Year Anniversary of Rugby League in Serbia Celebrated with Repeat Fixture

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

Sixty years ago in Paracin, at the FK Jedinstvo stadium, Partizan defeated Radnicki 21-11 in the first game of rugby league in Serbia.

Seven of the players who faced each other on 25th April 1954 were present and guests of honour when the sides met again this weekend at the same venue.  Skoknic Miodrag, Arsenijevic Vlasta, Conkić Predrag represented Partisan that day and Tomanovic Budimir Tambe, Petar Marjanovic, Jovicic Djordje and Puzic Stevan, wore the kit of Radnicki. 

Then they travelled by train and after the match a dance was organized in a high school.

This time the match up, watched by over 500 fans, saw over 30 children from the youth section of the OFK Paracin club put on a pre-match demonstration and then Partisan repeated their inaugural success, this time 32-20.  The sides were level 10-all at the break, Radniki’s tries from Trifunovic and Jovanovic, Zogovic with a goal; Partizan replying through Stanisic and Cirković, Jasari with the extras.  Jankovic and Cirković with his second extended the Partizan lead before the hour, Djuric replying; Jankovic with his double and Ilic for the victors sandwiching a Radniki touchdown from Kostandinovic.

After the game, which was broadcast via livestream on the internet, the players of both sides were presented to the delighted veterans.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

I wonder how many of us knew that Rugby League has been being played in Serbia for 60 years?  I didn't.  The common assumption seeems to be that the game in Europe is a relatively new, development initiative.

Or maybe I have just not been lucky enough to hear or read of anyone talking about it.

Anyway, a sixty years anniversary seemed to merit more than just posting on the international forum so here it is.

Congratulations Serbia ................. :curtsey:   :yahoo: 

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

It hasn't been played there for 60 years - there was a long period where RL was dormant in Serbis, before being revived. 

But still, a great anniversary to celebrate.

Edited by Futtocks, 29 April 2014 - 09:24 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Kurt Angle

Kurt Angle
  • Coach
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

It's absolutely wonderful they went to the trouble of finding these old guy.

Paying tribute to their history, for such a small organisation shows they hold the game in some esteem

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

And some resent any money spent on foreign development. These kind of stories rekindle my enthusiasm for the game.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Serbia are quietly becoming one of the success stories of international expansion.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,859 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

And some resent any money spent on foreign development. These kind of stories rekindle my enthusiasm for the game.

Hang on, you wanted the Frogs out yesterday as they don't have the same draw as Leigh or Featherstone.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hang on, you wanted the Frogs out yesterday as they don't have the same draw as Leigh or Featherstone.

1. I didn't say I wanted them out. I just don't think they are a drawing card here in England. The best bet would be to have half a dozen French SL teams operating in a French Conference playing English teams only once a season, the rest of their fixtures being against fellow French teams.

2. France is not a development area. They have been around since the 1930's, have their own ruling body and have been to the World Cup final twice and beaten the Aussies in a test series in Australia.

3. This thread and my comments are about fledgling international development for RL.

#9 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Serbia does appear to be one of the quiet success stories.Realistically,I believe rl should concentrate it's limited resources on a few countries,where there is proof of local,genuine interest/support,rather than trying to pretend we will dominate the world with Australians with two passports.Pacific Islands and the American/Canada/Jamaica area to me are areas to support/concentrate on.

#10 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

When I was there last April there were two games of RL taking place on pitches below the castle.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Given the right support; a country like Serbia could become a reasonable contender in 10-15 years. They should be given as much support as is available. Hopefully the will is there to help such genuine development.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

It's a young nation, bursting with the desire to prove itself on the national stage, whether that's sport or Eurovision or whatever. Okay, some of that national pride is rooted in the blood and slaughter of the Nineties, but we must move forward and look to a happier future.

It also seems that the two Ruby codes are coexisting quite comfortably at the moment in Serbia.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

It's a young nation, bursting with the desire to prove itself on the national stage, whether that's sport or Eurovision or whatever. Okay, some of that national pride is rooted in the blood and slaughter of the Nineties, but we must move forward and look to a happier future.

It also seems that the two Ruby codes are coexisting quite comfortably at the moment in Serbia.

RL needs to ensure Serbian RL is not subsumed and relegated to second fiddle as happened in Georgia where we went from being the pre eminent Rugby code to nothing in quick order.

Co existence and RU are an explosive mixture that needs to be kept a wary eye on.

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

RL needs to ensure Serbian RL is not subsumed and relegated to second fiddle as happened in Georgia where we went from being the pre eminent Rugby code to nothing in quick order.

Co existence and RU are an explosive mixture that needs to be kept a wary eye on.

That's probably going to depend on whether RU starts pumping money into the country's RU setup to nullify any perceived threat.

#15 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

Given the right support; a country like Serbia could become a reasonable contender in 10-15 years. They should be given as much support as is available. Hopefully the will is there to help such genuine development.

Definitely, Serbia has far more potential than countries like Ireland and those tiny Pacific islands. We should be helping them as much as possible, with equipment, coaching or whatever they need, we should not waste or ignore their development. The only problem is they're not in the EU, otherwise we could see floods of Serbians playing in the lower leagues. However, I think within 5 years, they could have a semi-pro top league the way things are going. 

#16 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

Their biggest problem in having any sort of paid league is income. The famous Red Star Belgrade FC have an average crowd of about 6000 and average ticket price is under 4 quid. Given the history and interest in soccer they are really struggling so hard to see how any other sport could raise enough income to pay any sort of salary

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

Their biggest problem in having any sort of paid league is income. The famous Red Star Belgrade FC have an average crowd of about 6000 and average ticket price is under 4 quid. Given the history and interest in soccer they are really struggling so hard to see how any other sport could raise enough income to pay any sort of salary

Wow didn't realise that. But still, I wouldn't expect them to be world beaters anytime soon but it would be great to have a 'new' face on the block and they could give some of the 'lesser' RL countries a game given time.

After all, RU did fine by not paying players. ;)

#18 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

http://www.european-....co.uk/attn.htm

19,382. Most Balkan country crowds are poor since the break up of Yugoslavia and their old league, and with the attraction of the bigger Euro leagues, its hard to draw fans unless its for European games. In saying that, Red Star have bucked the trend in recent years as that link shows. 

All this talk about Serbia fails to take into account that its a poor, rapidly ageing nation. That has never been a recipe for international success in any sport. The ex-Yugo countries time as big players in football and basketball is, and has been, coming to an end for some time. Their best bet is to produce players for bigger leagues, which is what they continue to do well. That would be the best path for developing a competitive international team. Stay amateur, and when the talent shows up, ship them over. Someone said they're not in the EU, but they will be in the next 3-4 years. 

Edited by Mr Wind Up, 01 May 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

If Serbia is a poor country then that is probably in RLs favour.

#20 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

If Serbia is a poor country then that is probably in RLs favour.

How? Especially when you're dominated by football/basketball, which as two of the biggest and most accessible sports in the world is probably the one duo you don't want to be going up against in trying to break through. When I say poor I mean relative to British standards , not sub-Saharan African. 

Edited by Mr Wind Up, 01 May 2014 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users