Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Challenge cup

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

I've just watched Ralf Rimmer discussing the challenge cup and how it needs a 'shot in the arm'. What would be he best way to generate more interest in the cup and give it more prestige? Is it simply a case of better marketing and raising awareness or is a change in format needed? Would including French clubs and other European teams in the earlier rounds be a good idea? Would giving more importance to the competition work, such as the winners being included in an expanded world club challenge?

#2 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Non SL clubs at home to SL clubs

#3 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 626 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

Magic weekend to become the CC 5th Round, with SL teams entering at this stage as opposed to round 4.

#4 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

A more compact CC programme with the finals being played late May rather than August BH.

#5 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:33 PM

Fans attending games and enjoying the "Road to Wembley!"

#6 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:18 AM

Fans attending games and enjoying the "Road to Wembley!"

If only. I love knockout trophies but given the way the soccer cups have also seen a decline in interest I have to wonder whether the Challenge Cup has a future.

#7 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

A more compact CC programme with the finals being played late May rather than August BH.

That appeared to be the main argument being put forward on Boots N All. I don't quite understand how moving the date of the final is going to encourage more people to want to watch the early rounds though. And wasn't the Cup Final moved to August because it was being seen increasingly as just a pre season competition? Surely the same thing will happen again. 

#8 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

That appeared to be the main argument being put forward on Boots N All. I don't quite understand how moving the date of the final is going to encourage more people to want to watch the early rounds though. And wasn't the Cup Final moved to August because it was being seen increasingly as just a pre season competition? Surely the same thing will happen again. 

I've heard a rumour it is happening next year as part of the league restructure. It seems the lessons learned from the previous era have been forgotten again... if the Challenge Cup is to reinvigorated, simply changing the timing won't achieve that...!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

I've heard a rumour it is happening next year as part of the league restructure. It seems the lessons learned from the previous era have been forgotten again... if the Challenge Cup is to reinvigorated, simply changing the timing won't achieve that...!

Exactly. I was watching the discussion last night thinking I must have missed something. If there's one match in the Cup that we don't have a problem selling tickets for, it's the final. And yet all of a sudden, it's the final that appears to be getting moved. Give it a couple of years and there'll be a clamour to move it back to August.

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

Fix it so Hull FC win at Wembley.

That's what everyone's waiting for isn't it?

Once that's done, we can all relax and enjoy life.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#11 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

If you condense the tournament and then your S.L club gets knocked out in the first 'proper' round - sorry,lost track of the number - then that club could easily find itself with say 3 blank rounds out of six weekends.i.e this time round Salford,London,Hull and Hull KR would be without games.Throw in the Magic weekend and the scheduling of games and a club could easily find itself without a home game for 6/7 weeks.

#12 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

Pre-season friendlies seem to get good gates-probably due to no games over the winter months.These will surely be increased with something at stake.With say 3 rounds in successive weeks before the season starts it gives some momentum to the competition.We can.t give up on the 118 years of history and as it on the BBC the final has the biggest national exposure of the year.
Don.t know what the BBC would say and their influence as it would probably clash with the 6 nations.

#13 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

Shorter programme with the final on the Saturday of the first weekend in June.

5th round magic weekend (replacing the normal magic) at the start of April

semi final double header at a neutral venue

#14 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

I think this is the way to go.  Let the league season get underway, and then play the rounds of the CC in April and May, so that interest is sustained.  There is still interest in this comp. - 13k at Headingley even though it was live on TV. Nearly 4K at LSV for a non- Superleague clash.  Let's see how this compares with the ~Championship fixture at P O Road on Sunday

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#15 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

I don't understand what the problem is with the final being in August. Surely the problem is the uneven spacing between rounds

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#16 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

Pre-season friendlies seem to get good gates-probably due to no games over the winter months.These will surely be increased with something at stake.With say 3 rounds in successive weeks before the season starts it gives some momentum to the competition.We can.t give up on the 118 years of history and as it on the BBC the final has the biggest national exposure of the year.
Don.t know what the BBC would say and their influence as it would probably clash with the 6 nations.

When SL first came in, this is essentially what happened, for a few seasons at least – SL teams play two rounds before the league season kicks off – people are more interested because they get a competitive Rugby fix for the first time in yonks, big teams haven’t hit the ground running, and if you move the final back to May you get momentum in the comp which I think is the main problem, more than anything else.

I’d try this before bringing in the top flight clubs a round later – personally I think that would devalue the comp even further and make it just another glorified Super League contest. Yes a top flight club is always going to win it in this day and age, but the competition is supposed to be about the game as a whole isn’t it?

Plus there is the whole “season ticket” culture, which is probably an even bigger problem. The playoffs which are essentially seeded (like some people claim the cup should be) can draw some naff crowds because of this, don’t think this would help the cup much.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I don't understand what the problem is with the final being in August. Surely the problem is the uneven spacing between rounds

Yes, this really. Originally shifted back because of the BBC's commitment to other sports, RL was pretty much the runt of the litter. Now most Saturday and Sundays, the BBC daytime schedule is almost identical to that of a working day - Bargain Hunt and all that rubbish - so I don't really see the problem of the earlier rounds being closer together now

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#18 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

I thought there was already some provisional agreement that from 2016 the format would change. The clubs who finished in the SL top 8 in 2015 would enter the CC a round later along side the remaining other 8 clubs ?

#19 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

I just don't see what significant impact there would be in moving the dates of when the rounds and final happen. Of course it seems sensible to have them happen in a more compact period and the final closer to when the rounds happen but whatever part of the season I don't see how it will suddenly increase interest from fans attending the games.  

Nor do I see what significant impact it will have in bringing in SL teams later into the competition with regard to fans attending the games.  Personally I think that would further devalue the competition as per comments above but whether it happens or not it won't significantly change the interest in earlier rounds at SL clubs.  Lets not forget that even the semi finals when two of the bigger superleague teams are contesting struggles to fill our smaller grounds - I don't remember a sell out at any of the grounds recently even at the relative smaller capacity of 12K to 15k.   Nor does the final get close to sell out...whenever I go to the final the top tiers are empty.

I don't see the above changing with moving dates or bringing in SL clubs later.

Someone mentioned Headingley having a good crowd of 13k - well that was down to lower prices and giving free tickets to junior season tickets holders as well as junior tickets for £5 to other season ticket holders.  They priced it to try and get larger crowds to look better on TV.  This together with the season ticket culture mentioned in other comments plus marketing and promotion is where changes needs to focus. Otherwise its just tinkering.

#20 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Aren't the Football play off finals at the end of May?

Wembly wouldn't be available if they are.

Some of the problem of cup games is the cost (looking at the moaning on Salford's media sites)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users