• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Good game in prospect this weekend.

Two sides in Fiji and Samoa with lots of talent and potential face each other

The headlines this morning are concerning Paul Kent (Australian RL Talk Show presenter).

His views have been branded racist.

Not sure that's the case, but there again I may not have read or heard all he's said and twittered.

He appears to have treated the Fiji/Samoa game with disrespect.

He reckons it's not a game that makes up for losing a full round of NRL.

The point he seems to have wanted to put over is that the NRL season had just gathered momentum with a couple of massive crowd rounds for it all to come to a grinding halt for this rep weekend.

Now I'm sure he could have made his point on straightforward grounds.

Instead, to back his views he's cited the City vs Country and Fiji vs Samoa as games not as worthy of  attention.

He's had a dig at these two rep games while appearing to leave the Aus v NZ ANZAC Test alone.

Some of his views:

“We put a halt on things for rep weekend.

“I couldn’t care two hoots about Samoa and Fiji. Who wants to really sit down and watch that game?”

“I was asked about the Fiji-Samoa Test, and I don’t really care for this game. There’s been a backlash, people have said I’m racist because I don’t like Samoa and Fiji, which is complete rubbish.

“My point is this. I don’t want to have to stop watching NRL and be told I have to watch this game - this Fiji-Samoa Test.

“Of the 34 players who will run around, on Saturday evening, 11 of them - just one third of them - played NRL last week.

“All the rest are either playing NSW Cup or got pulled out of even lower than that. It’s not a high quality football game.

...But there are 34 players in this Test and of those only 11 of them were considered good enough by their NRL coaches to be picked in their NRL team the week before.

“My whole point’s the scheduling. I don’t think the NRL should have to halt its competition to have to put on a rep weekend.

If his whole point had been scheduling - maybe he should have stuck to that. There is a point there for discussion. He ought not to seem to be undermining the efforts and dignity of people playing, watching and organising rep footy that's not just Australia and their opponents.

Edited by G Las D, 01 May 2014 - 08:46 AM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

The biggest momentum killer in the NRL season is State of Origin. Every year the crowds fall away, players are missing and everything takes a back seat to the Origin series. And it goes on for a couple of months. One weekend in May is hardly going to derail the season. And I bet the crowd on Saturday night will be bigger than some of the recent games in Sydney - was it 6000 at Campbelltown a few weeks back?

Having said all that, I really don't see what purpose the City v Country game serves anymore. If it's supposed to be a trial for the NSW team, it's a pretty poor one. 

Edited by thirteenthman, 01 May 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

If the crazy state or origin rules re having to declare for Australia as your national team were canned, the Fiji v Samoa gam would have had a lot more NRL players suiting up. Milford, for instance, played brilliantly for Samoa in the WC and now he's an u 20 rep and has to nail his colours to the Australian mast.

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Origin does break the season up, though some would say it is worth it.

The other thing that breaks momentum is the bye weekends. There's usually a string of them stretching through the middle of the season that disrupts the 'flow'.

In June and July you hardly know where you stand as to clubs playing and resting.

Still that's consequence of the number of clubs and the structure of the league and fixtures decided upon.

#5 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Origin does break the season up, though some would say it is worth it.

The other thing that breaks momentum is the bye weekends. There's usually a string of them stretching through the middle of the season that disrupts the 'flow'.

In June and July you hardly know where you stand as to clubs playing and resting.

Still that's consequence of the number of clubs and the structure of the league and fixtures decided upon.

But the byes are now generally placed around the Origin series, so as to lessen the effect of having the top players missing from their teams. Again, it's a consequence of Origin and it lasts for weeks. 

I'm not saying that Origin should be moved or anything, it's merely in response to Paul Kent's assertion that the Rep Weekend interrupts the flow of the NRL season. Origin has a much bigger affect on the league season. 

#6 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Origin selection and the resting of Origin players also adds that lottery element to results when one team is more depleted than their opponents.

#7 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Paul Kents ignorant.

But I do enjoy listening to him in small doses, because 360 is one of few shows left that discusses serious issues without homo erotic camp skits by former Rugby league players.

Nothing in those comments he made are racist. He's just pig ignorant voicing a widely held poorly thought out point of view.

NRL fans can cope with one weekend off a year. Big deal.

The reason the NRL is being seen to support more international football has arisen out of a political climate of unrest over the go it alone attitude that pervades the State of Origin.

Last year the UK game and NZ were tiring of being step siblings....and a tour of NZ during Origin was touted by English officials.

That got the attention of the NRL.....there has been a shift to hosting Pacific cup games amongst rumblings of discontent.

Good.

The inaugural Pacific cup saw Samoa play Tonga....in what turned out to be the greatest game of Rugby league I have ever seen ( and that was without a proliferation of play for pay NRL stars ).

That Game between two nobody teams went into overtime twice.

They played till they dropped....biggest hits.....amazing skill......you wouldn't believe.

Consider Fiji gave Aussie a good run in the first quarter of their test till the Refs got stuck into Fiji.

Samoa with a better start could have beaten NZ........

I can't wait to see how they go round this weekend and it holds more interest than an NRL game....and is likely to be more of a contest than the ANZAC game.

I'm backing FIJI.

Where Paul Kent is naughty....is that he knew full well his comments would be offensive......and really when you consider the contributions of those country's players to the State of Origin....the NRL......and the Anzac games......it's a disgrace to the likes of Petro and other legends to denigrate the meaning of the contest.

Tacky cheap thrills journalism.

#8 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Agree Mt Smart as the likes of the Johns Brothers, Mark Geyer, Beau Ryan are so far up themselves that they are clueless on the game and try and make out they are funny. As for Paul Kent he is a typical Journo who has no respect for people outside his NRL world. I would say there is really the odd couple of Journos like Steve Mascord who actually understand and respect the game outside of its NRL and SL bubble.

I have stated a few times that SoO is more trouble than its worth. The game has moved on from NSW v QLD but the ARLC and NRL has not and is clueless to what the game needs for me. Its a moneyspinner but it damages the NRL season and International scene in how it operates. City v Country needs to go. This weekend should have been only International Weekend with Aus v NZ, PNG v Fiji, Tonga v Samoa, Cook Islands v NZ Maoris, France v England, Scotland v Wales, Ireland v Italy, Netherlands v Germany etc. Kent should know that the Fiji game is a game that helps decide who competes in the 4 nations comp at the end of the season. The RL Media in Aus often do far more damage than good

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

So the winner of this game will get a place in the 4 Nations tournament. After their performances in the World Cup both teams will have developed a taste for the big time.

Expect a good game with lots to play for whatever anybody else says.

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

Game in progress. Plenty of points flying about!

#11 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Lively vocal crowd. 5 mins to go. It'll be Samoa to play England in their first game in the 4 Nations tournament. Hectic all action game.Tonamapea over but no try. He's had a good game. Tagataesi headbutting.Sent off. Cut his own brow doing it.

#12 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

End to end stuff leading to the end of the game. Fiji wrapped up by Samoa in the second half. Never heard so much crowd noise. Fantastic atmosphere. Well done Samoa winning this Pacific Test.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Paul Kent's comments are depressing.

FFS its Fiji v Samoa! Entertainment pretty much 100% guaranteed. I'd even watch these two countries play each other at Rugby Union.

But some myopic windbag on the TV tells the public that it's a total waste of time, because he can't see the worth of making Rugby League a bigger and better sport. 

By a long way, the biggest stick any critic can beat RL with is its relatively small international scene. Kent's vision for the future of the code is to make that scene even smaller.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users