Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

04/05/14 - Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Leigh battered Fev today, and I didn't expect that. The next few weeks Leigh play Dewsbury and Sheffield away, Fax and Donny at home - the CC QF is a distraction we dont need with the importance of top 2. After those 4 games we could be back in the pack or romping away with it. 

Big noisy support for Leigh as well today, that snowball is well and truly rolling

#22 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Surprised by fax, pretty average with very little creativity. Towns much smaller pack contained them very well and our back line created quite a few chances. Faxs kicking game was also very poor, didn't really make use of the wind in the 2nd half at all. Town were much better a round after 2 weeks training with vievers, much quicker line speed and more use of the back line.

#23 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Cracking result for Keighley ,the dream lives on
K

#24 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

Cracking local derby at Spotland yesterday as Hornets hoisted themselves to 9th in the Championship.

Fanblog match report here http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#25 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Cracking local derby at Spotland yesterday as Hornets hoisted themselves to 9th in the Championship.

Fanblog match report here http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Thought Rochdale were doomed after the first few games but they are really growing now. Would be awesome for them to make next year's Championship.

#26 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Cracking result for Keighley ,the dream lives on
K

We played really well in the first half. Dews were shell shocked.

#27 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Sheffield were faster and much, much stronger. I think something is not right at Crusaders as well, but they are my team and I will stick with them. Are you a Crusaders fan Chronicler of Chiswick and what point are you trying to make in pointing out that the pitch upgrade will be , apparently, part funded by the RFL?

Pitch upgrade, no point - just a comment. I'm more an exiled Broncos supporter getting my live fix at the Racecourse, which perhaps makes me a more dispassionate observer, also, having seen the unfolding long term disaster that's been my team for a number of years (it started LONG before David Hughes) I'd hate to see it repeated with a potentially good club like the Cru. The reason I want to seee the back of the current coaching team was laid bare yesterday where poor Rob Massam spent the game exposed on the right side of the defence with no support, just look where most of Sheffield's attacks were targetted. Either the rest of the side weren't told to tighten up in that area or they weren't taking any notice - which would suggest that Clive's 'lost the dressing room', as the saying goes. 

#28 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Thought Rochdale were doomed after the first few games but they are really growing now. Would be awesome for them to make next year's Championship.

Are the Hornets still in a DR deal with Saints and playing many Saints players in their team ? If so, it's not a level playing field and they are distorting the legitimancy of the Championship. If they have their own team and are not half St Helens playefs, then good on them.

#29 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

Are the Hornets still in a DR deal with Saints and playing many Saints players in their team ? If so, it's not a level playing field and they are distorting the legitimancy of the Championship. If they have their own team and are not half St Helens playefs, then good on them.

Hornets still in DR with St Helens but the side is definitely not stuffed with their players. Think only Anthony Walker from there played yesterday. Team is built around a solid core of their own players with the odd Saint helping out/filling in.

I've seen Gary Wheeler and Mark Flanagan turn out for Hornets this year plus the odd youth team player from down the East Lancs but I don't think they are much more guilty than Salford, my other team, where they have brought in Manfredi, Tomkins & Eden when needs must.

I'd never seen Rochdale play before this season apart from the CC1 Grand Final last year but I have to say I've been very impressed with the standard of play and the amount of improvement shown by the team which I don't think you'd get if it was being chopped and changed with imports from another team constantly.

I think Rochdale seem to be using DR pretty well this year and in the spirit that it is supposed to be used, ie not as a springboard for a SL club's players coming back from injury/loss of form but as a means of plugging gaps when the squad is stretched thin (not just when it suits Saints). As the team with, I'm presuming, the smallest budget in the league I think they've been pretty honest this year with regards to this. If they'd just been bringing in the best 5 Saints players not to make the squad each week, I doubt I'd keep turning up for more.

#30 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

We are in a DR relationship, but using it to back-fill for injuries rather than importing half a squad wholesale. On sunday we had one Saints DR in + a lad on loan from Dewsbury. The other 15 were all ours. Clubs will always borrow players from other sides to fill 'holes'. Swinton had four from Warrington and one loanee from Leigh - does that mean they are 'distorting the legitimancy of the Championship' more or less than us?

Half St Helens players - sheesh...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!

#31 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hornets still in DR with St Helens but the side is definitely not stuffed with their players. Think only Anthony Walker from there played yesterday. Team is built around a solid core of their own players with the odd Saint helping out/filling in.

I've seen Gary Wheeler and Mark Flanagan turn out for Hornets this year plus the odd youth team player from down the East Lancs but I don't think they are much more guilty than Salford, my other team, where they have brought in Manfredi, Tomkins & Eden when needs must.

I'd never seen Rochdale play before this season apart from the CC1 Grand Final last year but I have to say I've been very impressed with the standard of play and the amount of improvement shown by the team which I don't think you'd get if it was being chopped and changed with imports from another team constantly.

I think Rochdale seem to be using DR pretty well this year and in the spirit that it is supposed to be used, ie not as a springboard for a SL club's players coming back from injury/loss of form but as a means of plugging gaps when the squad is stretched thin (not just when it suits Saints). As the team with, I'm presuming, the smallest budget in the league I think they've been pretty honest this year with regards to this. If they'd just been bringing in the best 5 Saints players not to make the squad each week, I doubt I'd keep turning up for more.

What he said...

Posted Image

#32 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

We are in a DR relationship, but using it to back-fill for injuries rather than importing half a squad wholesale. On sunday we had one Saints DR in + a lad on loan from Dewsbury. The other 15 were all ours. Clubs will always borrow players from other sides to fill 'holes'. Swinton had four from Warrington and one loanee from Leigh - does that mean they are 'distorting the legitimancy of the Championship' more or less than us?

Barrow have loads on loan from Leigh, but seemingly that's OK in his world because its not DR. Do Keighley have players on loan?

#33 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

Barrow have loads on loan from Leigh, but seemingly that's OK in his world because its not DR. Do Keighley have players on loan?

Keighley are not doing it this season

#34 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

I didn't state that Hornets were half St Helens because I didn't know that. I merely posed the question and you have answered it.
Swinton are doing the same thing and are equally as guilty if not more so than Hornets.

It seems that Hornets are doing the right thing with their minimal use of Saints players but I personally don';t like this system an its a recipe for abuse and unfair ringers at some point.

#35 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Fair enough C of C, you are entitled to your opinion. I just thought you were trying to be a little mischievous. You seem to know a few things that are not in the general domain. I have my own opinions about what is going wrong at Crusaders lately but I am not going to point the finger at individuals just yet.
With regard to Dual reg - its making a mockery of the game. I said last season that it would probably be my last due to this farce, because it riles me so much, but after talking to Crusaders chairman I decided to give it another season although I didn't get a season ticket this time. I am pretty certain now though that I will just be sticking to the amateur game on a Saturday next season. It is causing divisions between clubs as well. Since you mentioned Swinton, my most local championship club, I have lots of friends there and wish them well. Its up to them to run the club as they feel is best, but I went to Featherstone the week after Swinton played there. The Fev programme is full of snipes at the dual reg system in every section and the coach's notes go so far as to call them Swinton Wolves - a slip of the tongue obviously?

#36 welshwire13

welshwire13
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

I thought Sheffield were very clinical against Crusaders. Their forwards ran hard and gave the backs good field position to play with. Clay and Reardon were exposed on the right hand side by Yere and Turner and Brambani controlled things from the halves. Mark Aston said a performance like this had been coming for a while and, unfortunately, it was Crusaders on the other end of it.

It was always going to be a tough season for the Crusaders and they're really struggling to find consistency. I'm a bit mystified by some of Clive's decision's though, Moulsdale is cleary playing with an injury and it's showing when they come up against quality opposition.

#37 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Eagles were very good and gave us a harsh lesson. Unfortunately Crusaders are very up and down at the moment and it may be our undoing this season. This team is better than this and I hope they settle down and play as they can.

#38 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

The loads DKW refers to was actually 2 at Doncaster, one of these was a swap with Leigh for Haggerty, who was championship player of the week, I think Leigh got the best of the deal.

#39 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Leigh have provided Barrow Bullock, Briscoe, Govin, Lowe and maybe one other so far this season - if they get injured playing it doesn't change the fact, the same could happen with Haggerty who is now match fit at last and looking very good - Haggerty was previously Leighs academy captain btw

#40 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,417 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

I went to Featherstone the week after Swinton played there. The Fev programme is full of snipes at the dual reg system in every section and the coach's notes go so far as to call them Swinton Wolves - a slip of the tongue obviously?

Ive re-read it, and that's not true.

A Fev Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users