Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

04/05/14 - Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

Sweaty craiq out of all the players you named Rowe and Briscoe weren't good enough for the Championship, Bullock is good at times but vastly in experienced. The only good player we got was Mick Govin but he will be going back to you when match fit. In return you got our second best player for the whole season.

Leigh were probably laughing when we agreed to the deal and rightly so.

#42 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

marklaspalmas - I have just re-read the Featherstone match programme versus North Wales Crusaders and you are correct. I apologise for my inaccurate comment. I should have made sure of my facts before posting. In the coach's comments John Bastian says "You have to give credit to Swinton who, as we expected, were full of dual registered players from Warrington Wolves. It was Tim Spears who said "Credit also has to go to SWINTON WOLVES for having a real crack at us.

#43 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

I didn't state that Hornets were half St Helens because I didn't know that. I merely posed the question and you have answered it.
Swinton are doing the same thing and are equally as guilty if not more so than Hornets.

It seems that Hornets are doing the right thing with their minimal use of Saints players but I personally don';t like this system an its a recipe for abuse and unfair ringers at some point.

We play Workington on Sunday. In last week's draw with Halifax they played four Wigan DRs - a fifth was injured so didn't play.

They're still 11th in the league, so the DRs are hardly having a marked effect.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#44 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

We play Workington on Sunday. In last week's draw with Halifax they played four Wigan DRs - a fifth was injured so didn't play.

I guess you can make the point that Town would maybe rock bottom without the DR players.

So Towm have Wigan players and SW Scorpions and previously Leigh were in a link up with Wigan. This is all well and good for Wigan but it can't be good fo the overall health of the Championships. I don't like this DR stuff at all.

What's the deal with Hunslet. They are running away with CC1. Are they playing many Leeds players.

Long live the independents, I say.

#45 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Because of injuries we also only had 3 on the bench, we've had major injury problems to our better players.

#46 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

Because of injuries we also only had 3 on the bench, we've had major injury problems to our better players.

I don't have an issue - I watch a lot of NSW Cup in Oz - 'partnership' set-ups are common (Newtown, Mounties, Wenty, Cutters, Norths etc). Lads have to play somewhere - no real difference to loan players if used to backfill.

(I did notice that one of your subs was 'unused' which I thought was unusual)

Edited by Hornetto, 07 May 2014 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#47 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

I don't have an issue - I watch a lot of NSW Cup in Oz - 'partnership' set-ups are common (Newtown, Mounties, Wenty, Cutters, Norths etc). Lads have to play somewhere - no real difference to loan players if used to backfill.

There is no p and r in Australia. If DR's skew a result in their minor leagues it doesn't matter a jot in the big scheme of things. In our leagues in the UK even one result skewed by DR players can have a huge impact on the very future of clubs.

#48 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

People tend to look at the numbers rather than the reasons. Town have 2 of our regular 3/4's out injured (Elliott Miller and Andy Morris) and these were replaced by Manfredi and Murphy. Our regular starting half-back Callum Phillips is on the injury list, he was replaced by Powell. The only one of the 4 Wigan lads who you could argue wasn't filling in for our own injured players was Connor Farrell.

My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#49 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

What did they do when players were injured before the dual reg farce was introduced? oh thats right they could afford to run a reserve team or give a local amateur a trial.