TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

This Weekends Results - 3rd/4th May

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Why don't the Chargers merge with the Hillsborough Hawks, this has to be better than rebuilding every other year?

As a former Chargers player, coach and club founder, I'm probably in a good position to answer this.....

There'd be absolutely NOTHING to be gained from what you suggest and almost everything to lose.

Hawks are centrally located in Sheffield and have a large population to draw upon. I hope they can make this work from again.

Chargers are based in a very different location and, being based near the M1, can draw players from an area spanning south Sheffield, Chesterfield, NE Derbys and Mansfield. This has worked really well with the juniors, particularly since the decision was made to move some teams into the Yorkshire league.

At open age level the Challenges are different. The travel in Midlands Prem was certainly an issue last year and I was surprised to find several North Derbyshire based lads being 'bussed in' by one club we played at but c'est la vie....

There are things that could perhaps make life easier for the open age team but merging with an inner city team based 15 miles away isn't one of them.

As for the kids, maybe one or two would commute to Hillsborough but the rest would be lost to the game.

The big thing that I suspect would help both clubs would be for the RFL to take a much stricter line on granting academy/scholarship licenses.....
  • SPM likes this

#22 ItstheRLthatcounts

ItstheRLthatcounts
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

As far as I can tell, Hawks are not greatly more stable or successful than the Chargers. It's way too far for people to travel to Hillsborough from somewhere like Alfreton, especially for training getting through Sheffield - I know, I tried it. If the Chargers didn't exist the players are more likely to go South to Nottingham or Derby.

It's quite disappointing as a long time supporter of RL in Sheffield that after 25 years there is only one amateur club in the city with only 1 Open Age side. I know "football is king" in the city but with that size of population and the community work by the Eagles over the years you'd expect a much more vibrant amateur scene.

Really? National Conference? NL3 champions? Pennine League Premier through Pennine division 4 Champions? South Yorkshire Champions? Pennine Cup winners? Very good youth system and set up? 7 teams currently running? Over 40 players currently in The Sheffield Eagles youth set up, academy, Hallam Eagles and 1st team. I'd say that was pretty stable and successful fella.

However, my point was that The Chargers are rebuilding and the Hawks have a young side, but still to gain quite a few players and both sets of players together could make a real good team -  A Team that could probably compete higher than both clubs are currently playing. Alfreton to Nottingham or Alfreton to Derby isn't that much nearer than Sheffield Tim, probably around 10 minutes. It wouldn't be the worse thing that could happen.  

In a city like Sheffield, we should have so many more players but for some reason, we cant seem to expand our beautiful game! I know The Eagles swallow up a lot of the good players but I still cant see any reason why we could have more teams within the City, but it does need addressing otherwise amateur RL in Sheffield will be short lived.

#23 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

A more logical merger would be Sheffield Hallam Eagles and Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks. But needs a change in NCL rules on dual registration before they can rejoin.

#24 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Really? National Conference? NL3 champions? Pennine League Premier through Pennine division 4 Champions? South Yorkshire Champions? Pennine Cup winners? Very good youth system and set up? 7 teams currently running? Over 40 players currently in The Sheffield Eagles youth set up, academy, Hallam Eagles and 1st team. I'd say that was pretty stable and successful fella.

NL3 and top of the Pennine was a long time ago and it's not that long ago that the mens' team couldn't fulfil its fixtures. If anything the historical success points to a gradual decline. The junior setup is good and should be generating enough players by now to have 2 sides - actually the fact that so many Hawks players are in the Eagles setup could be related to the strength of Hawks Open Age - it seems that quite a lot of players enter the pro ladder (not just Sheffield, everywhere) and get spat out and lost to the game. Flor me there should be no need to have a separate Hallam Eagles side. It should be part of a seamless transition for Hawks players to go from junior to Open Age, playing either at National level (if they are good enough) or in a second team playing regionally and most importantly stay connected with their community club.

As Rob said, sending your players to play in any team 20 miles away is not a real solution.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#25 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

The fact that so many Hawks players are signed by the Eagles probably says more about the Eagles than it does about the Hawks. It probably also explains why such a long-established club seems so unstable.

It's odd that in one sentence you argue for the development of more clubs in Sheffield and in the next you're advocating a merger with the only club within 15 miles of the Hawks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users