Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Denis Betts - Well Done Sir

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

I remember Betts getting a lot of stick when he joined Widnes in the Championship - people saying he had lost touch with the game having been in RU and was the wrong choice to take them into SL.

I am no Widnes fan but this club has steadily improved year on year with a 7-3 win ratio this year and fifth place. I look at the Widnes squad on paper and is definitely should not be above the likes of Hull, Warrington, Salford, Huddersfield etc. and Betts needs to get some credit for his work there.

Ironically, Widnes personify the now defunct licence system. Had he been building the club now he would have probably got the sack. He is the example that patience with a coach can pay off.

#2 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

One thing no owner or CEO should do... is listen to fans with regard to coaches.  We are a fickle lot with Leeds being a prime example of many clubs fans... I can still remember many fans booing McDermott and wanting him replaced... yet now its a different view from those same many.... I noted the ovation he got the other day against Wigan and contrasted that with his earlier receptions early on in his Leeds  coaching career....

So yep hats off to Betts for proving he is a good coach and for doing a great job at Widnes with the club sticking by him through more difficult times. No doubt in the process ignoring some fans when it wasn't so rosy.

Edited by redjonn, 06 May 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

I remember Betts getting a lot of stick when he joined Widnes in the Championship - people saying he had lost touch with the game having been in RU and was the wrong choice to take them into SL.

I am no Widnes fan but this club has steadily improved year on year with a 7-3 win ratio this year and fifth place. I look at the Widnes squad on paper and is definitely should not be above the likes of Hull, Warrington, Salford, Huddersfield etc. and Betts needs to get some credit for his work there.

Ironically, Widnes personify the now defunct licence system. Had he been building the club now he would have probably got the sack. He is the example that patience with a coach can pay off.

To be honest, he was getting stick for much longer than that - Widnes' first SL season, for instance, saw plenty of people claiming he was out of his depth.

Patience has paid off.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

i hold my hand up and say i was wrong about denis he is creating a rally professional and efficient team built around the wonderful skill of the halves. my hat off to him for persevering and proving me and a lot of widnes fans wrong

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

But Widnes finished 6th in the Championship and didn't deserve their SL place etc. etc. .....

Patience can be a virtue. Money also helps.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

go back to sleep soft lad we met the license criteria and that was it we had more than a team we have a club that is financially stable and building all the time 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#7 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

One thing no owner or CEO should do... is listen to fans with regard to coaches.  

Well, Adam Pearson certainly hasn't.

I wonder how long it'll be before we have a "Well done Lee Radford" thread.

I suspect I know the answer.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#8 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

go back to sleep soft lad we met the license criteria and that was it we had more than a team we have a club that is financially stable and building all the time

Whoooshhhh

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

I saw the thread title and thought Betts had got his knighthood!

Anyway, he's done a super job and Widnes play a decent brand of rugby with what I imagine is a relatively cheap squad. Well done to them.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Well, Adam Pearson certainly hasn't.

I wonder how long it'll be before we have a "Well done Lee Radford" thread.

I suspect I know the answer.

Radford's appointment was a really puzzling one - he seemed far from ready. If they were going down a former player route they could have done a lot worse than appoint someone like Karl Harrison.

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

I saw the thread title and thought Betts had got his knighthood!

Anyway, he's done a super job and Widnes play a decent brand of rugby with what I imagine is a relatively cheap squad. Well done to them.

The rabble will be calling for his head on a platter when the mighty Cougars beat the Vikings on their march to Wembley !!!!

#12 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

The rabble will be calling for his head on a platter when the mighty Cougars beat the Vikings on their march to Wembley !!!!

Glad it's on Sky so we can all witness this historic occasion.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Glad it's on Sky so we can all witness this historic occasion.

yes, I must admit the words "snowball" :chance" and "hell" spring into my mind for some obscure reason.

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

i hold my hand up and say i was wrong about denis he is creating a rally professional and efficient team built around the wonderful skill of the halves. my hat off to him for persevering and proving me and a lot of widnes fans wrong

Most of the time, admitting to being wrong is a pain in the neck and requires firmly gritted teeth. Just occasionally, it's a pleasure!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

I'll happily admit I was wrong. Whilst I was mainly arguing that it was a risk placing our Super League place in the hands of an inexperienced coach that was the problem, I also thought that he wasn't going to come good regardless of time. He'd not only made a poor effort in creating a squad for Super League, he'd done a pretty poor job in the Championship too. It's similar to how people viewed David Moyes, there is a presumption that with time things will come good but as with Moyes I didn't think they would.

Whilst Widnes should be applauded for sticking with him, they didn't handle the situation perfectly. They basically admitted in that first season that they'd tried to get somebody in over him (Tim Sheens) and when they failed extended his contract. Also, I still think that we over-respected Super League and that we could have done much better in that first year.

We've been rewarded for persistance and it is perhaps a lesson for not just Widnes fans. We haven't exactly signed our way out of trouble, 12 of the 17 that played on that first game in 2012 are still playing now. We have clearly benefited from the familiarity and stability.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 06 May 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

Without licensing, Betts and patience Widnes would either be in the Championship, broke or both.

I still can't believe with the Widnes model having shown the way we are still wanting to go back to the stone age.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

Without licensing, Betts and patience Widnes would either be in the Championship, broke or both.

I still can't believe with the Widnes model having shown the way we are still wanting to go back to the stone age.

Absolutely and you can add London, Salford, Crusaders, Wakefield (twice) and Bradford ( twice ) as further examples of why we shouldn't change the licencing system.

#18 Karl Carpenter

Karl Carpenter
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

#19 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Absolutely and you can add London, Salford, Crusaders, Wakefield (twice) and Bradford ( twice ) as further examples of why we shouldn't change the licencing system.

Licensing encourages good practice, it doesn't stop people being idiots. Had licensing continued, I think London and Wakefield would have been under severe pressure from Leigh and Featherstone. Both of these clubs, IMO, would have been better off achieving promotion on the 3 year cycle than under 3x8, but we'll never know if that's true.

#20 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

but widnes did it proper from the start ...............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users