Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Huge Investment at Fev, Club Statement

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
287 replies to this topic

#21 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Feisal Nahaboo said 

"There are no egos at Featherstone Rovers..."

OK then.

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

These announcements were already planned to be announced several weeks ago, so before the Leigh games and before John Bastian was released. I would like to thank John for all his hard work, unfortunately he wasnt the man to take us forwards. Even on Sunday he refused an offer for Richard Moore to come on loan and thats after telling Liam Finn he wasnt wanted and look how Liam has excelled at Castleford.

Onwards and upwards , hopefully we can share some great memories and eventually visit our old friends at SL clubs

Don't take this the wrong way, as I think its great that the club is sticking it's head over the parapet in this way. really motivates the fans , who love to see column-inches about their club.

But.....announcements were already planned to be announced several weeks ago.. people will be looking for something  more tangible than an announcement about an announcement. 

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

Good to see any investment at any level, but haven't we already heard this?

I though Fev were investing millions already and aiming for SL.

#24 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I had a good laugh reading the press release, but this sort of stuff makes it all quite interesting so why not. They've set their ambitions pretty high now and let's see how they get on.

The line about 'It seems we won the league 4 years on a trot in vein (sic)' was a belter.

Edited by Just Browny, 06 May 2014 - 10:58 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#25 Viking Ste

Viking Ste
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

How sustainable is this though? I hope it is not 'built on sand'

#26 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

My favourite line in the statement is :-

In addition, we ask all leading agents to come forward with players available who have substantial ambition.

Or, in other words, we aren't going to tap players up because that's against the rules, but if any agents out there would like to tap up or unsettle players at other clubs then........

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#27 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

That press release is priceless. You can take it apart, line by line, and there is a gem in each of them. Are we sure it's not a spoof?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#28 Colly

Colly
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

Top 4 of Fev, Salford, Cas and Leeds how times are changing.

Flat cappers loving it!

Edited by Colly, 06 May 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#29 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

"A number of millions."  Two is a number of millions, so is 746.

Even one million is a substantial investment. There are no investors who want to take a chance on a non SL club. This is true because I read it many times on this forum.

How you can mock this news because the specific number of millions is not itemised is a little churlish.

#30 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

It's good press overall and something the fans can believe in and really get behind. To think that all this started in 2012 when Fev publicly announced they were aiming  for a SuperLeague licence, too. 

How is millions of investment meaningless

​Because its only  in a press release, the "investors" are anonymous, because it is clearly not a done deal.

Neither you nor I can know that.

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

It is refreshing to know that there will be no egos at Featherstone though isn't it?

I suspect that a psychologist might disagree however.

Just like there are no egos at Wigan, Salford, Hull and others. Perhaps the statement re egos means that there is a team of investors involved for the good of the club rather than one individual money man running the organisation on a personal basis.

Don't Leigh have a similar set up and it seems to be doing them no harm

#32 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Top 4 of Fev, Salford, Cas and Leeds how times are changing.

Flat cappers loving it!

If it happens it will be great for SL. You know very well Wigan, Leeds, Warrington will be pulling out all the stops to return to the status quo ante. A top division with all teams competitive with the others is any Leagues, including the premier league in soccer, dream scenario.

#33 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

it will be interesting to see which players have suddenly become spare to requirements and who will be replacing them the agents will be rubbing their hands with glee at all the big contracts up for grabs. I know who should be coaching Featherstone  and he's the man in my icon picture but alas he also was spare to requirements.

chappy

#34 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

Just like there are no egos at Wigan, Salford, Hull and others. Perhaps the statement re egos means that there is a team of investors involved for the good of the club rather than one individual money man running the organisation on a personal basis.

Don't Leigh have a similar set up and it seems to be doing them no harm

We do Keighley but it didn't happen mid season when the structures are in place and the budget spent. Fev may be issuing a statement that tells us that they will be FT next season on full cap irrespective but the cash needed would be more if outside top 2?

Who knows? As long as the assets are ring fenced then let them go for it, within the laws/cap of course

#35 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

We do Keighley but it didn't happen mid season when the structures are in place and the budget spent. Fev may be issuing a statement that tells us that they will be FT next season on full cap irrespective but the cash needed would be more if outside top 2?
Who knows? As long as the assets are ring fenced then let them go for it, within the laws/cap of course

I agree the timing is not ideal and you might be right about the plans being for next season. This would actually make more sense as they can then get into the middle eight and make a serious push for promotion as the lack of resources that will plague most Championship teams trying to make the jump will not apply to Fev.

In any event, I don't think a pro RL club would make an announcement such as this if there wasn't at least some modicum of truth behind it. They would look unprofessional and be a laughing stock if this were all fluff.

I am willing to bet that this will make the national sporting press so they had better be ready for some scrutiny.

Looking at Rovers when they were at death's door in CC1 just a few years ago and looking at them now, it is a really inspiring renaissance. Are you watching this Cougars directors.

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,110 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

I am willing to bet that this will make the national sporting press 

Seriously?

Not a criticism of Fev but given how little RL makes the national press a release saying "Come back in four weeks" wouldn't be top of my list of things to get out there.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#37 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Of course you can bet your house on the fact the RFL will never let Fev into Super League, win the league and play offs all they want, the RFL will simply change the goal posts

#38 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Seriously?

Not a criticism of Fev but given how little RL makes the national press a release saying "Come back in four weeks" wouldn't be top of my list of things to get out there.

You might be right but the press are notorious for their curiousity . An announcement that a small RL club with the smallest population to support a pro team in England now has access to multi millions of investment and will challenge for it's sports top four is bound to spark some press activity, I would have thought. There will be some serious digging going on to ferret out the truth of the press release and or the names of the rumoured investors. Or , at least, I would have thought so.

We shall see.

If Accrington Stanley announced they were to challenge Man U for supremacy, the press would be world wide. RL is not soccer for sure, but I would have thought this would peak some interest at least within the UK press.

#39 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Of course you can bet your house on the fact the RFL will never let Fev into Super League, win the league and play offs all they want, the RFL will simply change the goal posts

I'm a Keighley supporter. You don't have to tell me but I live in hope that the past will not be repeated.

#40 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

Stop winding him up!!!  :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users