Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Liam Mcavoy

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

Liam has made the team of the week!

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Well done Liam, I'm surprised that one or two others aren't joining you as well.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Well done Liam, well deserved. Karl Harrison said it was because of the Wigan lads that we drew with them, seems this proves otherwise.....
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Well done . The way our 17 is set up he's a central part of our pack . Plays way above his size and has no fear . Leading by example

Edited by DavidM, 06 May 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#5 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Well done Liam, well deserved. Karl Harrison said it was because of the Wigan lads that we drew with them, seems this proves otherwise.....

Karl Harrison wants to have a look at his non existent half backs before he's bothering about the town team.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#6 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Karl Harrison wants to have a look at his non existent half backs before he's bothering about the town team.

He set his excuse up before the game and used it. Surely all coaches aren't as bothered about the opposition and concentrate how they play.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

It was the ' impressive Paul Mennell ' in the RLE . One of us is watching a different game . We slate our blokes for that dinner - suit stuff , and we aren't eyeing up trophies . Can't blame the pack they're playing off . I hope we get Powell for a good spell to bed in to the halves . As we seen , he is an individual threat - yes it didn't always come off , but he's trying and thinking - but he sparks those around and outside as well . Perfect scenario would be him linking up with Manfredi and Gelling outside , and playing off two big Wigan props inside .

Edited by DavidM, 06 May 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#8 Aubrey Boyce

Aubrey Boyce
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Well he will get that when he's back at Wigan next

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

One of you're better ones , Boycey . I'll give that sunshine .

#10 Kick

Kick
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Mcavoy has been outstanding this year reminds me of billy McInty well done thoroughly deserved

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

I don't see that one !

#12 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

I don't see that one !

nah me neither, for one Liam can run.

#13 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

These lads look good doing a job in an all star or top team ... But take them out of it and expect them to be the main man in a lesser team and they're exposed . I'm sure you lads can think of other examples of those we've had in the last 20 years ..,

Edited by DavidM, 06 May 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#14 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

Rubbish!  Manfredi scored a good try and that was it and  Farrell and Murphy didn't stand out . Was Powell better than Callum or Carl?

#15 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Rubbish! Manfredi scored a good try and that was it and Farrell and Murphy didn't stand out . Was Powell better than Callum or Carl?

yeah he was mate. His kicking game was the big difference in the game. Maybe not as good at running at players like Callum but he certainly improved our team. Plus that was forbers best game in ages, and that was really down to Sam controlling the game and taking pressure off him.

Edited by wonky, 07 May 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#16 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

yeah he was mate. His kicking game was the big difference in the game. Maybe not as good at running at players like Callum but he certainly improved our team. Plus that was forbers best game in ages, and that was really down to Sam controlling the game and taking pressure off him.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him to play again, I thought he fitted in well but no way were the Wigan players our best.  Booting it dead was a good tactic even though it's the worst rule in RL but it doesn't take any skill.

#17 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him to play again, I thought he fitted in well but no way were the Wigan players our best. Booting it dead was a good tactic even though it's the worst rule in RL but it doesn't take any skill.

i don't think forber could kick it dead from his own half. Personally thought Brett Phillips and shacks were the best 2 players on the pitch, but Powell was up there.

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

We want top blokes from Wigan ... Manfredi and Powell are top blokes from Wigan . Then we pick them apart when they get here . There's the Farrells and Levers , and then there's the Powells and Manfredis who we'd die for - and got .You can't win then. Manfredi just scored a try ( that no one else on our side would have ) and Powell isn't better than Forber . Please give me these blokes and three like them every week to gladly criticise . When Powell is leading Wigan to super league titles we'll see how good he is .

Edited by DavidM, 07 May 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#19 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

We want top blokes from Wigan ... Manfredi and Powell are top blokes from Wigan . Then we pick them apart when they get here . There's the Farrells and Levers , and then there's the Powells and Manfredis who we'd die for - and got .You can't win then. Manfredi just scored a try ( that no one else on our side would have ) and Powell isn't better than Forber . Please give me these blokes and three like them every week to gladly criticise . When Powell is leading Wigan to super league titles we'll see how good he is .

Hang on...I'm not "pulling them apart". Harrison said the Wigan players were our best on the day , IMO Manfredi as I said scored a great try but to say he was one of our best players doesn't give credit to the other guys who did much more. Like with Powell I'd have him back cos that ability to finish a move is what we've lacked.

So Farrell and Murphy were better than McAvoy, Phillips and Forber? If you like .

#20 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

No , but you can only compare position for position. It's the Manfredis and Powells and Gellings and James that we need in our predicament , where we are weakest .Players who will stand above what we have .That's the level we want , when we get it then it's all good , what they're capable of giving you far outweighs any downside and what our own can do - ie Powell and Forber . Trouble is getting them . I think Murphy is getting much better and did stand out .Couple of ricks but good on Sunday .Got MOM in the paper. I've made me views known on Farrell . If you're taking someone who isn't better in a set position than what you have then you're just doing it for the sake of doing it . I don't disagree with your main point. Our guys were good . But they're all our guys out there trying to win a game for us .

Edited by DavidM, 07 May 2014 - 03:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users