Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rochdale game!

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#81 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Leagues really condensing below top 3 . What a dogfight !! Fascinating and unpredictable . Crusaders get touched up by Rochadale ... Crusaders win at Halifax ... We win at Rochdale etc etc . Haven get nilled then win twice etc etc .Premier Sports hang your head ( if you've come out of your sulk )...

Edited by DavidM, 11 May 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#82 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

The game changer for me was having both Matty and Lupton on the field together, best rugby I've seen from Lupton this season. We got some good chances down our left side and could have ran away with it, credit to Rochdale, that team is full of heart.
It might not be coming off yet but there's definitely a structure building in our attack.
Another good show from forber today, viewers is bringing the best out of him.

#83 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Really happy with today's performance all 17 lads put in a shift today!! Matty bossed the game for us directing us around the park shacks, coward and mcavoy made the yards, our make shift props Rooney and olstrum made more yards, big Callum had a great stint attracting 4 or 5 and Brett and Stacky scared them senseless!! That's just the forwards!! Great win! Also some nice Rochdale people made us feel very welcome also!! Up the town,

#84 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Ameliasdaddy i often feel that's a good way for us . We're struggling to go round teams and we have good dummy half threats like Matty , Callum , Karl , Lupton , even Carter can scoot , so let's use them . Speed up the ruck and get darting up the guts and play the link play off that . You can definitely see the work done on the training paddock seeping through . PV knows what's what and has got a grasp of things .

Edited by DavidM, 11 May 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#85 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

He said our kicking game had improved from Forber, Lupton and Callum. He also said that it would be a difficult game for us next week at Fev because their new coach will want to bring new ideas in, etc. He was pleased with our defence although he said it should have been nil to them as he didn't think their try was a try.

our kicking game since the Derby has really picked up and we have landed 5 points! Big phil must have read the forum after the haven game.

#86 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

He'll read it after every game ... Notepad in hand . Maybe ...

#87 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

Ha yeah he will read it when he needs a laugh as I'm sure the players do.
A fantastic win on the road yesterday, a BP at least against Fev is achievable with the right attitude and we have def turned a corner now. Carl is playing very well these last few games which is credit to him and PV for seeing it in him. If Peter can get his consistency sorted we won't need any Wigan half backs.
Up the Town.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#88 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

On field communication looks to be much improved, team spirit never seemed in doubt to me but looks especially good, our defence was brutal at times yesterday and the fitness seems to have improved.

Was Calum injured as I dont remember seeing him in the second half, thought he might have been brought on to spell Matty.

Difference for me with forber is hes a better 7 than he is a 6, but with Calum playing half, forber always seems to be at 6.

I had a good laugh with some Rochdale fans but my god they want everything, we were always offside, every pass was forward, always lying on, referee gave us everything. They never put a foot wrong do they, even when they took Calum out off the ball which was so late it was nearly next week he was playacting acording to them, should rename them Rochdale Angels.

#89 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

On field communication looks to be much improved, team spirit never seemed in doubt to me but looks especially good, our defence was brutal at times yesterday and the fitness seems to have improved.

Was Calum injured as I dont remember seeing him in the second half, thought he might have been brought on to spell Matty.

Difference for me with forber is hes a better 7 than he is a 6, but with Calum playing half, forber always seems to be at 6.

I had a good laugh with some Rochdale fans but my god they want everything, we were always offside, every pass was forward, always lying on, referee gave us everything. They never put a foot wrong do they, even when they took Calum out off the ball which was so late it was nearly next week he was playacting acording to them, should rename them Rochdale Angels.

come on, that's all you here at every rugby ground. Town fans are terrible for the offside and forward pass shouts. From the odd comment about the game on the Rochdale forum they seem a gracious bunch and actually give town a lot of credit
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#90 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

come on, that's all you here at every rugby ground. Town fans are terrible for the offside and forward pass shouts. From the odd comment about the game on the Rochdale forum they seem a gracious bunch and actually give town a lot of credit

Where did I say anything about them not being gracious, the group I sat with were spot on, but were crying for everything, and I mean everything, to the point they were starting to find it funny. Of course you hear it at every ground, that was bordering on the ridiculous yesterday though.

#91 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Yeah I've gotta say it gets boring listening to it at DP sometimes. The ref is either gonna give off sides or he is gonna let it go unless somebody is way off but we get the repeated " off side" shouts every time we are under pressure and the we have the ball.
I think if Rochdale were winning the shouts would have stopped as they would at DP. It is always funny when we play Haven because it is more intense both sets of fans shout for anything, although it's probably easier to hear at the wreck as they are so quiet!!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#92 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Yeah I've gotta say it gets boring listening to it at DP sometimes. The ref is either gonna give off sides or he is gonna let it go unless somebody is way off but we get the repeated " off side" shouts every time we are under pressure and the we have the ball.
I think if Rochdale were winning the shouts would have stopped as they would at DP. It is always funny when we play Haven because it is more intense both sets of fans shout for anything, although it's probably easier to hear at the wreck as they are so quiet!!!

yeah it's getting very tedious. Every single play the ball is offside for the away team, but apparently town haven't been offside for about 7 years now. Lol. Ameliasdaddy I never meant anything by it, I was just making the point that we are as bad as any for it

#93 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Pretty sad then if they're all just having a laugh at us . Get a good mood of the core fans here and there's plenty of informed opinion around .

Edited by DavidM, 12 May 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#94 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

Callum got a knock to the neck but PV said he would be alright next week. I see the penalty count yesterday was 5 - 2 in Rochdale's favour so maybe they are angels on the field!!!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#95 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

See the bit about Fev linking up with Wakefield on DR ... They're you go

#96 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

I commented yesterday on this thread about us having the worst attack record in the league table but the other side of that particular coin is the fact that we have the 4th best defensive record which has brought us bonus points for narrow defeats.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#97 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

I commented yesterday on this thread about us having the worst attack record in the league table but the other side of that particular coin is the fact that we have the 4th best defensive record which has brought us bonus points for narrow defeats.

i find our defence very odd, we're really solid facing strong attacks and set plays, then go and let a daft one in. But it is something that we've had for a few years and it's kicked on again this year.

#98 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Very rare we get split in open play . Often just scrappy ones off kicks or just muscle on the line . I like it that PV constantly mentions the ratio of opportunities and territory we have to tries scored .He's aware and no doubt drilling it a lot . Next week will be an acid test for both sides of our game - defence against a top side , and scoring tries , seeing we dominated a lower end team and scored 10 points . However well we did yesterday I think we need some Wigan firepower back for this to compete

Edited by DavidM, 12 May 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#99 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I don't often agree with Mark Aston , but I'm with him here ... 'I thought the referee was very poor, there's no doubt about that . He shouldn't be refereeing at this level ' . Yes , that's Mr Cobb .

#100 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Talking about referees Mr sweet at haven yesterday was the worst I've ever seen he was giving penalties for nothing at times it seemed like every time donny attacked they where getting penalties but saying that we had a few aswell he must have awarded over 30 penalties in the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users