TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The European Parliamentary Elections thread

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

Poll: How will you vote in the Euro Election? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How will you vote in the Euro Election?

1. BNP (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

2. Conservative (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Green (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Labour (11 votes [26.19%])

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

5. Liberal Democrat (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

6. UKIP (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

7. Other (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

8. Not eligible to vote (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

9. Will not vote (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

Because we never get the straight story from our media. Only stuff about straight cucumbers and metric weights.  Politicians are no better.  Anything unpopular that comes from Europe they blame "them," neglecting to say that most of the unpopular policies, laws, customs etc are trade-offs, if you want such and such, I'll have to have so and so.  That's how politics works.  But catch politicians saying it?

Because we never get the straight story from our media.

I din't think that's quite right, is it, though. The liberal left dominated BBC News and Current affairs teams have seen to that, with Ian Katz,  ex-Guardian editor running Newsnight, and Labour's very own placewoman  Kirsty Warke fronting it.

In any case . are you saying that  such august mass-circulation printed organs as The Daily Mirror, The Morning Star, The Guardian, The Independent, Tribune, The  New Statesman, The Daily Herald, The Teacher ,  etc plus all the unions that have active news sections in their web sites, are telling porkies about the EU? Really? 

#242 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

Because we never get the straight story from our media.

I din't think that's quite right, is it, though. The liberal left dominated BBC News and Current affairs teams have seen to that, with Ian Katz,  ex-Guardian editor running Newsnight, and Labour's very own placewoman  Kirsty Warke fronting it.

In any case . are you saying that  such august mass-circulation printed organs as The Daily Mirror, The Morning Star, The Guardian, The Independent, Tribune, The  New Statesman, The Daily Herald, The Teacher ,  etc plus all the unions that have active news sections in their web sites, are telling porkies about the EU? Really? 

For every "Labour" person in the Beeb there's and equivalent "Tory" person - Nick Robinson, so obviously a Tory I'm surprised he doesn't wear a blue rosette on TV. Martha Kearney and Sean Ley on WatO are clearly both Tories, plus of course there's the overwhelming right wing, anti European bias in the press.  The Daily Mail calls the BBC left wing, but then compared to the Daily Mail, Adolph Hitler was left wing.  To call the Morning Star mass circulation is taking Daily Mail paranoia to extremes.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#243 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

unusual to get a bite this early.

The point is, of course that the left wing view is very very well represented in the media, whether it be print, broadcast or on-line, so introducing the obsolete left-wing ritual prayer of "the Murdoch press" is totally irrelevant. In any case, when Murdoch WAS in charge, he was a big mate of your role model Tony Blair.

#244 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

If you think Tony Blair is left wing there's no hope for you! :O
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#245 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

The point is, of course that the left wing view is very very well represented in the media, whether it be print, broadcast or on-line, so introducing the obsolete left-wing ritual prayer of "the Murdoch press" is totally irrelevant. In any case, when Murdoch WAS in charge, he was a big mate of your role model Tony Blair.

Oh, I don't know. Many fishermen set out very early in the morning. You're just fishing for different fish with different bait.

There is a problem when referencing the media (print, TV, radio or internet). Most people, imo, don't read widely to get alternative perspectives on the news. They tend to stick to one organ and get one particular viewpoint. We need also to remember that the press is very self-interested and will push their own agenda mercilessly while pretending to be 'balanced'. They aren't. We need to read between the lines and it's not always that easy.

There you are John! You just got another bite. :)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#246 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'm sure you are right. I think people also choose a paper that agrees with their views.  The point  was hoping to make was that with print, broadcast and on-line media, the idea of media domination by rich right-wing grandees is not valid ( if it ever was.)

#247 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

A grand total of about 10% of the population voted for anti-EU parties last week.

However, when that argument has been raised on here about unrepresentative union strike votes, the forum  political monitors have ruled it invalid.

Difficult to argue with your point. People who don't vote are either effectively allowing the status quo to continue (e.g. stay in the EU) or potentially allowing a vocal minority to get their way (strike action / UKIP).

I would personally make voting in key elections compulsory, with an option on each ballot to register a "no-vote". You will have democracy, whether you want it or NOT!
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#248 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

However, when that argument has been raised on here about unrepresentative union strike votes, the forum  political monitors have ruled it invalid.

Difficult to argue with your point. People who don't vote are either effectively allowing the status quo to continue (e.g. stay in the EU) or potentially allowing a vocal minority to get their way (strike action / UKIP).

I would personally make voting in key elections compulsory, with an option on each ballot to register a "no-vote". You will have democracy, whether you want it or NOT!

Although I generally agree with you, sometimes I want to go harder and have compulsory voting but you're not allowed a ballot paper unless you answer a simple question first.  I'd be generous and allow them one pass.  Here's the type of question I'm thinking of:

For general elections:  Name either your current MP or the name of one of the candidates.

For council elections:  Name your current councillor, the party controlling the council or one of the candidates.

For EU elections:  Name one MEP for this region or one candidate for any party.

If you fail, then you get rejected.  You can bypass this and simply ask for a blank paper vote where you're allowed to write whatever you want on a blank bit of paper and have it counted as "spoiled".

(Note, I'm not really being serious here but it definitely is something the less tolerant part of my mind would love to see imposed)

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#249 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

I listened to Martha Kearney interview Kris Hopkins today Tory housing minister.. He was allowed to put the straight Tory line, with all the usual spurious assertions about the last government, totally uninterrupted by Kearney with no right of reply from a Labour spokesman.  BBC left wing? Don't make me laugh!

#250 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Tired old ground, I know, but there is endless evidence, admission and proof that BBC News and Current affairs is left leaning. I don't intended to go through it again, just as I don't intend to prove once again that the earth revolves on its axis and orbits the sun, or that the pope is a catholic, or that bears defecate in the woods.

#251 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Tired old ground, I know, but there is endless evidence, admission and proof that BBC News and Current affairs is left leaning.

Is there?

Or just some old quotes from Marr and Dyke.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#252 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

denialism.jpg

#253 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

denialism.jpg

Yes, well done.  Brilliant work.

I'd agree that the BBC certainly was mostly leftish-leaning until a few years ago.  That certainly doesn't seem to be the case any more.  

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#254 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

denialism.jpg

Dr Goebbels would be proud of you John! You can't think of an argument so use a slogan.

#255 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

Dr Goebbels would be proud of you John! You can't think of an argument so use a slogan.

It's not an issue of argument, it is  a fundamental truth.  Stalin Scargill would be proud of you!

Edited by JohnM, 31 May 2014 - 06:13 AM.

#256 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

My experience of working at the BBC for a good number of years was that it was largely populated by liberal, metropolitan, trendy young things, with a higher than average % of homosexuals and ethnic minorities. Certainly TV Centre and White City fitted this description anyway.

Some people might confuse that with being left wing but I wouldn't. I can only recall a handful of people with genuinely left wing views.

I'd also suggest that a small majority of youngsters these days are slightly right of centre, politically, and this would be reflected at the BBC via their recruitment bias towards young people.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users