Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford sign 4 more!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 736 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

According to the Doctor................

@worley_2011 Mate, we have finalised deals on 4 players and will be announced in the near future.

#2 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

He did say at the start of the year that this season was a year too early. It'll be interesting to see who these 4 are. Depth is a major problem for them at the moment but it will be good to see them do a "Warrington" and enter the picture over the coming seasons. The more good teams the better. We have 5 real contenders (6 if you count Cas) so if we can make it so the whole 8 are near each others standard it can only bode well for British RL.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#3 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

if at first you don't succeed throw more money down the drain 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#4 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

He did say at the start of the year that this season was a year too early. It'll be interesting to see who these 4 are. Depth is a major problem for them at the moment but it will be good to see them do a "Warrington" and enter the picture over the coming seasons. The more good teams the better. We have 5 real contenders (6 if you count Cas) so if we can make it so the whole 8 are near each others standard it can only bode well for British RL.

Do a Warrington??

Would you like to explain what you mean??

#5 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

Be yet another head coach there next season, it takes time, someone needs to tell him.

#6 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Viking Warrior how is he throwing money down the drain. Watch Salfords crowds and league position rise above Widnes' next year.

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

mate by keep throwing money at a team and keep sacking coaches is a recipe for disaster............as a barrow fan you should know that from dessies time in charge 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#8 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

Do a Warrington??

A reasonable chunk of investment, and plenty of hard work, put Wire at the top table. I assume he means Salford can do the same.
People called Romans they go the house

#9 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

Do a Warrington??

Do a Warrington??

Think he means wire were nowhere to be seen earlier in SL then new stadium/owner and they arrived,won a few CC

Suprisingly though having had the best squad on paper at least for the last couple of years the big prize the GF has alluded them,and know having lost a couple of leaders(not world class Dave T)are going to struggle to make the top 4

#10 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

if at first you don't succeed throw more money down the drain

Your fixation is becoming a little pathetic.

#11 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

Do a Warrington??

Yeah, pretty much what the two posters above said. It wasn't a slur on Warrington. It just has the potential to be a similar situation. New owner, new stadium, money invested, better players signed, no hopers (as you were in the 90s/early2000's) to title contenders. The more the merrier. I have no problem with it. The stronger the comp is the better IMO.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#12 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:35 PM

I'm looking forward to hearing if any of that Four are NRL players. 

#13 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Hauraki will be one of them
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

i'd hazard a guess at Hauraki, Blake Green, Logan Tomkins.. and i  guess if rumour is to be believed possibly Joel Tomkins.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Do a Warrington??

Over the next 2-3 years buy a completely new team in the hope of winning a trophy.

The vast majority of the Warrington team of the last few years were bought and not developed by the club and this tactic managed to get them a few CC wins and a few grand final appearances. I guess Salford will be aiming to emulate this.

#16 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

I hope one of them is Joel Tomkins, shame they didn't get Eastmond as well.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#17 7723

• Coach
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

i'd hazard a guess at Hauraki, Blake Green, Logan Tomkins.. and i  guess if rumour is to be believed possibly Joel Tomkins.

Blake Green is in contract talks with Wigan over a new deal.

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Over the next 2-3 years buy a completely new team in the hope of winning a trophy.

The vast majority of the Warrington team of the last few years were bought and not developed by the club and this tactic managed to get them a few CC wins and a few grand final appearances. I guess Salford will be aiming to emulate this.

I guess you are right, but Warringtons gentle slide down the league has seen big names leave, and some locally developed players come in which is good stuff. The question I have is why is Mr. Moran no longer seemingly pursuing the "buy buy buy" policy?

#19 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

I guess you are right, but Warringtons gentle slide down the league has seen big names leave, and some locally developed players come in which is good stuff. The question I have is why is Mr. Moran no longer seemingly pursuing the "buy buy buy" policy?

I'd suggest that the big signings have stopped because the quality of player available to buy isn't much better than what is already at the club. 

#20 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, pretty much what the two posters above said. It wasn't a slur on Warrington. It just has the potential to be a similar situation. New owner, new stadium, money invested, better players signed, no hopers (as you were in the 90s/early2000's) to title contenders. The more the merrier. I have no problem with it. The stronger the comp is the better IMO.

Going a bit OT here, but it's a bit of an exaggeration to call the Warrington sides of the 90s and early 2000s as 'no hopers'. Admittedly they had 2 bad years (98 and 02) finishing third from bottom, but the other years were spent largely mid table. Even under Van de Velde there were a couple of CC Semi Finals. The biggest problem was the complete lack of consistency. Poorly run - at times, flirting with relegation - once, but not no hopers. The other thing with Warrington is that the changes happened over a long period of time, many years in fact. Salford, or their owner at least, appear to be looking for rapid change. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users