Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford sign 4 more!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

And as I said,will Salford be able to produce any such players?

Ratchford, Turner, Sneyd, Fages, Walton, Walne and Walne all playing regular Super League right now.

#42 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

Ratchford, Turner, Sneyd, Fages, Walton, Walne and Walne all playing regular Super League right now.

I know that and thanks, however how many play in the Salford Jersey??

#43 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

theo fages is a catalalns product not salford 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#44 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

theo fages is a catalalns product not salford 

I'm sure you will find that there is a familial dislike of Catalan and that your post is incorrect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/14067589

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'm sure you will find that there is a familial dislike of Catalan and that your post is incorrect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/14067589

he did however play for Catalan u20s iirc versus Crusaders - from an article online, so there were obviously some links.

#46 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Dave T and Viking Warrior share an unerring knack for shifting the goalposts in order to suit their strange brand of logic.

One of you (I can't remember which one, but who cares?) made a comment about Salford not producing any SL players. I named half a dozen or so current SL players and you both started moving the goalposts.

So predictable it's boring!

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Dave T and Viking Warrior share an unerring knack for shifting the goalposts in order to suit their strange brand of logic.

One of you (I can't remember which one, but who cares?) made a comment about Salford not producing any SL players. I named half a dozen or so current SL players and you both started moving the goalposts.

Dunno what you are on about, my only contribution to this thread is that Fages has played for Catalan youth team.

http://www.walesonli...ge-over-1908903

Think you are confusing me with PMJ Wires.

Edited by Dave T, 10 May 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#48 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

You read all the posts and tell me your issue with my posting.

The doc is buying left, right and centre..... Wires were mentioned as a similar club, that ain't true.... We had players coming through the ranks aswell.... Hence my response!

So in two or three years will a Salford junior or trained player be winning trophies??

Simple really, and Dave T and VW are right, you can't claim theo

So buying everyone and anyone is his only route, TBF you ain't really improved, top 8 no chance

#49 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

Apologies for mixing anyone up. It's churlish to say that Fages isn't a product of Salford's academy, given the age he was recruited at. Anyway, bored now.

#50 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

Apologies for mixing anyone up. It's churlish to say that Fages isn't a product of Salford's academy, given the age he was recruited at. Anyway, bored now.

Boo, I was starting to enjoy it..... Whatever peoples thoughts, issues, jealousy etc etc
You've got an owner who will spend money, enjoy it and I really do hope Salford have some success, I really do.

I've said this many times, I only want to win one grand final and I'd die happy as a wire, will it happen, I don't know..... Three CCups has been great.

Enjoy it while it's exciting - few years off IMHO

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

My view on all this is that the locally developed player thing is overstated. 

I was reading the stuff about the FA Premier League and the fact that they currently have around 66 starting players a week from England. In Super League we have probably not far off double that for a game which is played in quite a condensed area, we haven't done bad to find that many athletes who put on great entertainment every week.

Of course it would be great if we could all field rucks of players from our own Academy, but in reality, this is pretty rare in any sport anywhere in the world. We should be looking all over the country (and Europe) for talent.

I couldn't care less whether Fages was developed by Salford, Catalan, Pia or whoever (the only reason I responded was because there was a suggestion that his family had real issues with Catalan). 

The amount of British talent running round in SL putting on great entertainment each week is good for me, and I think we are overly harsh expecting clubs to recruit from an area just a few miles squared.

#52 WSCR

WSCR
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

Viking Warrior also offered to run naked up Deansgate if our stadium was ever completed

#53 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Of course it would be great if we could all field rucks of players from our own Academy, We should be looking all over the country (and Europe) for talent.

The amount of British talent running round in SL putting on great entertainment each week is good for me, and I think we are overly harsh expecting clubs to recruit from an area just a few miles squared.

Indeed clubs should to recruit from  all over the country and Europe to get the best team they can, even if that meant not a single squad player was born within 20 miles of the club.

Problem is vast swathes of England let alone Europe don't produce quality RL players, the majority of quality European Rugby League talent comes from pockets of central west Yorkshire, Humberside and East Lancashire,So the reality is clubs fight over each others players.

I agree that despite the shortage of quality players and the drain of the best senior and junior players to Australia, we still have great games to watch, but I put that down to the game itself. RL is a fantastic sport because two evenly matched teams at any level - even under 10's - can for me produce great entertainment.

Ultimately if there was no salary cap Mr. Koukash could buy up all the best Wigan produce and win trophies, would Salford then become a junior RL hotbed? Would Wigan's junior game go on attracting the kids shorn of success?

I think it matters that we have a lot more talent, the manifestation of the lack of it is the same two or three clubs winning everything and the regression back to a 12 team, or arguably an 8 team competition.......

Edited by The Parksider, 11 May 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#54 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Academy is vital for Salford's progress as if we're going to have a number of big names playing for the Reds, cap space for the rest of the squad will be limited meaning we'll need a steady flow of hungry young kids to fill in the gaps. That's where the big clubs (ie Saints, Wigan, Leeds) have a big advantage right now. I'd say Wigan are particularly adept at this.

Obviously we're not going to throwing up players left, right and centre just yet though as the investment from the Doc into the youth scheme has only recently begun and will take quite a few years to mature. It was nice to hear a shout out to the local teams like Bury Broncos, Eccles, Folly Lane & Mancunians at last night's game though. Hopefully that's a sign that Salford are linking up well with the local teams we have out there.

#55 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

Academy is vital for Salford's progress as if we're going to have a number of big names playing for the Reds, cap space for the rest of the squad will be limited meaning we'll need a steady flow of hungry young kids to fill in the gaps. That's where the big clubs (ie Saints, Wigan, Leeds) have a big advantage right now. I'd say Wigan are particularly adept at this.

Obviously we're not going to throwing up players left, right and centre just yet though as the investment from the Doc into the youth scheme has only recently begun and will take quite a few years to mature. It was nice to hear a shout out to the local teams like Bury Broncos, Eccles, Folly Lane & Mancunians at last night's game though. Hopefully that's a sign that Salford are linking up well with the local teams we have out there.

Couldn't agree more that salfords academy is vital for the red devils in the long term and that it's going to take at least a decade of investment and building before the red devils will start to get a return from this. I'm no expert on grassroots development and can appreciate that you just can't magic up amateur teams in places like Hulme, moss side, Trafford etc of the likes of amateur teams like kells, Wigan st.pats, west hull etc but I do hope that new clubs in those areas mentioned and others in and around Manchester spring up, more kids playing RL increases the talent pool not only for Salford but other super league clubs and championship clubs.

Edited by walter sobchak, 11 May 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#56 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Viking Warrior also offered to run naked up Deansgate if our stadium was ever completed

I remember that very well. He never gives up hating us does he?

#57 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

I remember that very well. He never gives up hating us does he?

Well you can't expect the dwindling bunch of Swinton fans to carry that burden by themselves.

#58 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Pottsy - And Owen & Evalds SHOULD be.

#59 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Mo Lyndsay identified the need for adequate "resources" if the game was to keep it's strength and grow. Fans are such a resource, and if not present in enough numbers private money can make up for that. Dr. Koukash can leave £20 in the till for every seat unoccupied at each salford home game.

But the resource of players is something you cannot always buy, as it's like the limited bread available in the wartime bakery. There's a queue, and as much money as you may personally have you are rationed. Dr..K. will spend up to his ration of £1.65M and will have to take a couple of stale loaves as that is all that is "on the shelves".

I think it's vital the game develops it's own players. I just don't see a world out there where you can just reach out into and bring professional players in without having to bother to do anything yourself. Blimey, it's not as if the likes of  locals Swinton, Oldham or Rochdale are nurturing Superleague material for Dr. K to pick off as they mature to professional level. If the professional game needs to develop players because they ain't available from elsewhere in any great number, then it's the professional clubs that need to do it.

It's doable, and as you say it takes time. What it also takes is a local junior game to provide the players to develop and it sounds good that the club intend to bolster their fledgling local amateur junior clubs in and around salford/manchester.

What I would fear is a salford academy in which the scouts solely go round the established junior clubs in Wigan, Warrington, Leigh, Oldham and St. Helens and identify players the Doctor can try to entice to Salford. That would be simply allocating the same limited resources to a different SL club rather than growing the resources base, a trick Mr. Davey I believe was criticised for as regards the Huddersfield academy. 

Edited by The Parksider, 12 May 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#60 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

What I would fear is a salford academy in which the scouts solely go round the established junior clubs in Wigan, Warrington, Leigh, Oldham and St. Helens and identify players the Doctor can try to entice to Salford. That would be simply allocating the same limited resources to a different SL club rather than growing the resources base, a trick Mr. Davey I believe was criticised for as regards the Huddersfield academy. 

I'd expect there to be some poaching of talent for the academy to go on. Dr K wants success now so I'd expect someone must be looking at targeting what talent is out there currently to try and bring Salford's standards up at that level. I'd be disappointed if there wasn't but equally disappointed if that's the only tactic for fresh talent. There are supposed to be links with new clubs and school programs going on but we'll not find out how successful that is for years. From the noises we hear from the club, things are moving in the right direction.

Incidentally. watched the year 9/10 final before the Rochdale game yesterday playing nines (I've no idea what age year 9/10 is but presume they were around 14-16) and there was a couple of class acts on show in what were terrible conditions. There's talent around but I wonder how many of these lads are contacted let alone trialled by the likes of Salford. Hopefully most are but my knowledge of academy and below is pretty much non-existent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users