• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

don't let RSN see that he reckons widnes have no academy players coming through

No I stated you don't produce any who are good enough to play fot England. Show me any this century who have come from Widnes who have played for England.

#82 Steve Fox

Steve Fox
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

No I stated you don't produce any who are good enough to play fot England. Show me any this century who have come from Widnes who have played for England.

think there's only Ritchie Myler from the Widnes Academy.

#83 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

This century is only fourteen years old ... just over one generation of players. For most of that time the club wasn't in Superleague so you can't expect it to develop top notch teenage players when those boys also have St Helens and Warrington on their doorstep.

Anyone over fifty will remember Reggie Bowden, Tony Myler, David Hulme, Paul Hulme, Mick Adams, Stuart Wright, Andy Currier, Keith Elwell, Joe Lydon  etc.  All played for Great Britain via Widnes.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#84 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

Ritchie Myler - England RL
Steven Myler - England RU
(Not related)

#85 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

This century is only fourteen years old ... just over one generation of players. For most of that time the club wasn't in Superleague so you can't expect it to develop top notch teenage players when those boys also have St Helens and Warrington on their doorstep.

Anyone over fifty will remember Reggie Bowden, Tony Myler, David Hulme, Paul Hulme, Mick Adams, Stuart Wright, Andy Currier, Keith Elwell, Joe Lydon etc. All played for Great Britain via Widnes.

32 years off 50 so I'm going to struggle.

Every club has produced top drawer players. Widnes proclaim they have a top drawer youth system yet but no international players have been produced.

In 2017 I still don't think Widnes will have any of their products playing for England.

#86 Steve Fox

Steve Fox
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Every club has produced top drawer players. Widnes proclaim they have a top drawer youth system yet but no international players have been produced.

In 2017 I still don't think Widnes will have any of their products playing for England.

Alex Gerrard is looking the best bet at the moment (not Widnes-born but came through the Academy there). 

#87 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Anyone over fifty will remember Reggie Bowden, Tony Myler, David Hulme, Paul Hulme, Mick Adams, Stuart Wright, Andy Currier, Keith Elwell, Joe Lydon  etc.  All played for Great Britain via Widnes.

In the 1980's and 1990's Widnes had a long run as a top club, in the "noughties" they got back to superleague for a couple of seasons.

The list of Internationals is impressive and the town is a Rugby league town so why exactly did the junior game seemingly die a bit of a death. It would be interesting to know.

It's not as if the club were that bad outside of Superleague? It seems on the face of it the local kids maybe aren't as interested when their club isn't in Superleague. Whatever happened to Widnes Tigers?? 

#88 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

Money talks and often lads sign for the highest bidder. Mark Percival at Saints for instance is from the well known RL playing Widnes family.

#89 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

richie myler i rest my case you know sweet FA about what you are talking about 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#90 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

if you knew what the ###### you were talking about then you would know that on the current academy gradings that widnes were graded in the top six academies in the country. just keep spouting ###### 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#91 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

richie myler i rest my case you know sweet FA about what you are talking about 

Richie Myler slipped my mind probably due to him only playing for Widnes first team twice and making the majority of his younger first team appearances for Salford.

#92 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

if you knew what the ###### you were talking about then you would know that on the current academy gradings that widnes were graded in the top six academies in the country. just keep spouting ###### 

My point is about producing international players not super league ones. The RFL grade the academies on lots of things, not entirely on whether international players are produced. I'm not sure how the grade is relevant to counter arguing the point I made. You can have a top graded academy but that doesn't mean you have produced international players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users