Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Commonwealth Games Rugby League 9s

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

The lead up to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow will feature rugby league as an exhibition sport, with an U19s 9s Championship involving five of the six Commonwealth Regions.

The Rugby League Commonwealth Championship 2014 will be contested by South Africa, Canada, Jamaica, England, Scotland, Wales, Australia and Papua New Guinea, with the teams split into two groups.

The matches will take place over the 27-28th June as the 9s format looks to continue to spread the sport on the international stage.

The Rugby League International Federation presented to the Commonwealth Games Sports Review Committee in Kuala Lumpur in May 2011 and their decision to accept rugby league as a category three sport was ratified by the CG General Assembly in November that year.

The matches will take place at the Broadwood Stadium, North Lanarkshire and Mike Hooper, CGF Chief Executive Officer, commented: "The Commonwealth Games Federation wishes all participants every success, the advent of these Championships is a true demonstration of the RLIF's commitment to further developing the sport across the Commonwealth."

RLIF Chairman Scott Carter added: "Since becoming a member of the CGF in 2011, rugby league has remained true to the message that shaped our application, that it is truly a sport of the Commonwealth".

"We are committed to working to develop the sport in these regions. Our grassroots work continues at a steady pace in Africa, for example, and it was important for the RLIF to bring together teams from all corners of the Commonwealth in what promises to be a true celebration of rugby league."

The next Commonwealth Games in 2018 will be held on Australia's Gold Coast - a stronghold of the sport - where the plan is to again run a pre-Games exhibition, most likely at U23 level, with a view to 9s becoming a category two sport and eligible for full inclusion in the Commonwealth Games thereafter.

Rugby League Commonwealth Championship 2014 - Format

Pool A: Australia (ranked 1), Wales (6), Scotland (11), Jamaica (23)

Pool B: England (3), PNG (7), Canada (16), South Africa (25)

Day 1 (27th June) - Pool games
Day 2 (28th June) - Semis and Finals (5 matches per nation total)

Does anyone have information regards the above? Theres nothing on the games website or the RFL. Hoping to attend if it goes ahead.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

That post of yours the most information I've seen to date. It should certainly be worth watching if you can get there.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

We volunteered to help out on the day. They didn't seem interested despite advertising for help, so we have given up trying.

#4 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

That post of yours the most information I've seen to date. It should certainly be worth watching if you can get there.

I have to admit I cut and pasted it from the Rhinos page on here. I,m 15 miles from Broadwood and keen to attend. I,ve e-mailed the RFL requesting details and did not get a reply.

If it goes ahead and programmes are produced, if anyone wants a copy send me a PM.

#5 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Does RL 7s exist only on paper now?

#6 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I have to admit I cut and pasted it from the Rhinos page on here. I,m 15 miles from Broadwood and keen to attend. I,ve e-mailed the RFL requesting details and did not get a reply.

If it goes ahead and programmes are produced, if anyone wants a copy send me a PM.

I'm hoping to get along too, again, if there are actually any plans in the public domain.

#7 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

It is the Rugby League International Federation which is running the event, not the RFL. There will be a wave of announcements starting very shortly, but you can start to get involved by following on Twitter @RLCommChamp

Squads will start to be announced about a month out from the tournament, with plenty of other news starting shortly.

#8 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

It is the Rugby League International Federation which is running the event, not the RFL. There will be a wave of announcements starting very shortly, but you can start to get involved by following on Twitter @RLCommChamp

Squads will start to be announced about a month out from the tournament, with plenty of other news starting shortly.

Thanks for the info. I e-mailed the RLIF on Wednesday. No reply yet. I,ll log ont Twitter.

#9 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

[quote name="robins up north" post="2925834" timestamp="1399461960"]
The lead up to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow will feature rugby league as an exhibition sport, with an U19s 9s Championship involving five of the six Commonwealth Regions.

This sounds great and exactly the sort of thing which might help spread the international game. Be nice if there was a bit of television coverage

Edited by westlondonfan, 12 May 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Does anyone have information regards the above? Theres nothing on the games website or the RFL. Hoping to attend if it goes ahead.

I don't think there will be anything on the Games' website as it isn't an official pre-games event (The Commonwealth Games doesn't have exhibition games like the Olympics). This is the RLIF using its initiative for once and tagging on to a major event, as other sports are doing. I took part in a pre-Commonwealth Games orienteering event yesterday in Glasgow - it had absolutely nothing to do with the games.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

The England squad had its first training session on Monday 5th may with a 2nd session on the next bank holiday Monday after which a final 15 man squad will be named.Admission to the games is free,so it should be a good 2 days of rugby.

#12 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Received info back from Scotland RL, stating that tickets will be free of charge at the gate and the times are being finalised. Also stated a programme will be available.

#13 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Why haven't NZ got a team entered?

#14 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Why haven't NZ got a team entered?

They didn't want to. Anyway it's supposed to showcase the spread of the sport in the Commonwealth, not just focus on Oceania and GB. I'd have preferred to see Ghana over South Africa, but either of them is great. 

#15 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

Facebook group launched today.

#16 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Gold Coast Titans young prop James Iodice is in the Canada squad. He's born in Canada

#17 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hi reply I received from the R.L.I.F.

Sir,

I was passed your email. The competition is an official event of Homecoming Scotland but not part of the Games (it is an official Commonwealth Championship though).

It is free entry on both days, 27 and 28 June. https://www.facebook.com/pages/2014-Rugby-League-Commonwealth-Championships/486447188151452

If you require any further information please let me know.

Regs,

Danny Kazandjian

General Manager

The Rugby League European Federation

First floor, Whittington House, 19-30 Alfred Place, London WC1E 7EA

#18 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Only 6 Scottish born lads in the Scotland squad,surely it can't be right to use the grand parents qualification rule at U19 level.

#19 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

I hope the event is well supported and grows.

#20 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

Only 6 Scottish born lads in the Scotland squad,surely it can't be right to use the grand parents qualification rule at U19 level.

Better that they have enough scots born to be credible but are competitive on home soil
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users