Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Commonwealth Games Rugby League 9s

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Thought the welsh looked decent in parts, a bit lacking in attack but certainly game in defence. The lad on the wing, can't recall his name but anyone who saw the highlights will know who I'm referring to, looked like he could develop into something special. Would be interesting to see how he develops over the next season or two.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#102 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

I wouldn't say they particularly made up their own rules, they followed the current rules in place, although I agree that they are a joke and not in the spirit of things.

The selection policies were the one disappointment of this tournament, as much as I enjoyed the two days, surely it could have been used as a development tool for some of the RL playing nations.

The Aussies picked half a squad of Kiwis.
The Canadians picked all RU players.
The Jamaicans picked half a squad of RU players from the UK.
The English picked a squad of amateurs out of their depth.

Everybody who was there tried hard and they deserve credit, but the organisers overall didn't seem to care in the slightest who was playing. Like most other things, it was extremely half-hearted.

Just think how good things like this could be with a bit of effort!

Edited by Davo5, 07 July 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#103 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Unlike the negative rubbish posted above,I thought it was an entertaining 2 days of rugby with on the whole closely fought games played in a great spirit by talented young players,well done to all the organisers.

#104 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Thought the welsh looked decent in parts, a bit lacking in attack but certainly game in defence. The lad on the wing, can't recall his name but anyone who saw the highlights will know who I'm referring to, looked like he could develop into something special. Would be interesting to see how he develops over the next season or two.

James Taylor is his name.

Just one of several real gems that we have down here.

#105 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

James Taylor is his name.
Just one of several real gems that we have down here.

Looks an absolute star in the making, if he stays in league I'm sure we'll be hearing about him and seeing him in super league in the next couple of years.

#106 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Unlike the negative rubbish posted above,I thought it was an entertaining 2 days of rugby with on the whole closely fought games played in a great spirit by talented young players,well done to all the organisers.

Look back over this  thread and you'll see I loved the event, my last post may have been negative, but it certainly wasn't rubbish.

The organisers put on a decent two days events logistically, but that does not change any of my points about selection - which bits do you disagree with? Every player individually deserves applauding, they all put their bodies on the line and played good stuff.

The issue I have is that all the organisers did (and I am not talking about the people organising the actual days - although they are not without criticism) was get any 15 bodies representing 8 teams. Players who do not and have never played the sport of Rugby League were playing - some playing well it should be noted, but what exactly is that doing for development of these RL nations?

The two days were great on the field, but then this is RL, pick any random 26 players (or 18 for 9's) and it will be entertaining. Why would a Rugby League tournament presumably organised by the RLIF or RLEF have no criteria for player selection? All of the points I made about selection are right, do you genuinely think that is the best we could do?

It's no coincidence that the ones who took it relatively seriously did well. 

I genuinely loved the two days, but I've come away feeling well, that it was all a bit hollow, it was just a rented pitch with 8 random teams playing each other - it isn't a step forward for International RL at all. TBH, it is pretty much as hollow as the rest of the International RL game.

#107 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

The Welsh looked decent from the start, their Semi against PNG was a great battle, one of the highlights, two teams who took it relatively seriously.

#108 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

http://www.theguardi...-london-broncos

The above article highlights Canada's remarkable achievement ,given for most of them their short introduction to the sport.

And what a dream holiday that would be to see the USA vs Samoa Test in Hawaii.

Edited by Trojan horse, 09 July 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#109 GeordieGiant

GeordieGiant
  • Twitter
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Excellent piece here http://the18thman.co...onwealth-games/

#110 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

I don't understand why this 9s thing in Scotland was believed to be promoting the game of rugby league. The Australian side were the Roosters and the Canadians were Union players on a jolly. The Kiwis didn't bother. International Rugby League is run by Idiots. League has the potential to be a huge International sport but its controlled by Incompetence and fantasy.

#111 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

I don't understand why this 9s thing in Scotland was believed to be promoting the game of rugby league. The Australian side were the Roosters and the Canadians were Union players on a jolly. The Kiwis didn't bother. International Rugby League is run by Idiots. League has the potential to be a huge International sport but its controlled by Incompetence and fantasy.

Sad but true, if you didn't know any better you'd think that the people that "run" international rugby league were actually Union fans/officials.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users