Commonwealth Games Rugby League 9s

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#141 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

But the next one is in Australia. we should have a good chance RL will be included  because the Aussies are good at it.

The sports have already been decided.  RL is not an option therefore it has not been chosen.  The Aussies did look at putting in cricket but the ICC declined the invitation.

The Olympics had softball and baseball because softball was the women's version of baseball.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#142 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

To be fair to the Commonwealth committee, why should it be included when we don't even run 9s tournaments ourselves at the top levels.

We've had a grand total of one Auckland 9s down under and pretty much nothing at a professional level up here in recent times. Once/If we start putting on tournaments and showing that they can be successful and RL takes it reasonably serious, only then should they be considered.

Putting it straight into the Commonwealth Games feels a little bit cart before the horse.

#143 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

The sports have already been decided.  RL is not an option therefore it has not been chosen.  The Aussies did look at putting in cricket but the ICC declined the invitation.

The Olympics had softball and baseball because softball was the women's version of baseball.

So there could be another event like this year's, officially permitted to use the Commonwealth Games name, but prior to the actual event.

If the Auckland Nines carry on being as popular as the first tournament was, then you could expect a decent attendance, with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands and New Zealand added to most of this years' teams.

Edited by Futtocks, 07 August 2014 - 09:13 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#144 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

So there could be another event like this year's, officially permitted to use the Commonwealth Games name, but prior to the actual event.

If the Auckland Nines carry on being as popular as the first tournament was, then you could expect a decent attendance, with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands and New Zealand added to most of this years' teams.

Four years off.  The Auckland 9s will have been and gone by then.

- Severus, July 2012

#145 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

So, technically why couldn't they do the same for RL?

#146 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

And that's a fair enough point, but to compare RL to caber tossing is out of order, especially from somebody who posts so much on the RU parts of this forum (and somebody who I have a lot of time for to be fair).

RL is played in a decent amount of Commonwealth countries, and would have a tournament not dis-similar to RU.

I wasn't intending to compare RL to caber tossing, rather to parody the thought that because a sport is popular in a country where the games are held will have a significant effect on the sports selected.

My view without the flippancy is that RU sevens are well established with regular international and local competitions and offer a chance to countries other than the home nations NZ and Aus to have a medal chance, RL would realistically only offer 3 teams the chance of a medal, two of which are consistently among the top medal winners.

The IRB have done a commendable job for their sport in getting both commonwealth and Olympic recognition but this has been on the back of a regular international calendar. What RL should do (in my view) is ignore the Olympics and Commonwealth games and if they are serious about growing 9s organise regular competitions, and keep at it until the competition gains a critical mass and becomes profitable, high profile and most importantly popular enough that the IOC or Commonwealth equivalent cannot ignore them.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#147 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

Technically they probably could, however I'd suggest they didn't partly because RU sevens is in already and partly because the likely medal winners would only come from NZ, England and Australia. There's not enough international depth to make a tournament worthwhile and it's not the Commonwealth or Olympic games job to act as a development path for Rugby League.

Edited by Shadow, 09 August 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#148 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I wasn't intending to compare RL to caber tossing, rather to parody the thought that because a sport is popular in a country where the games are held will have a significant effect on the sports selected.

My view without the flippancy is that RU sevens are well established with regular international and local competitions and offer a chance to countries other than the home nations NZ and Aus to have a medal chance, RL would realistically only offer 3 teams the chance of a medal, two of which are consistently among the top medal winners.
The IRB have done a commendable job for their sport in getting both commonwealth and Olympic recognition but this has been on the back of a regular international calendar. What RL should do (in my view) is ignore the Olympics and Commonwealth games and if they are serious about growing 9s organise regular competitions, and keep at it until the competition gains a critical mass and becomes profitable, high profile and most importantly popular enough that the IOC or Commonwealth equivalent cannot ignore them.

fair enough, agree with all of that

#149 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Technically they probably could, however I'd suggest they didn't partly because RU sevens is in already and partly because the likely medal winners would only come from NZ, England and Australia. There's not enough international depth to make a tournament worthwhile and it's not the Commonwealth or Olympic games job to act as a development path for Rugby League.

Well PNG won the trial tournament this year, so other teams are capable of winning. The Commonwealth 7s was dominated entirely by NZ until SA beat them in the final this year, but no one seems to have a problem with that. 

#150 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Haven't NZ won 11 of the 14 world sevens series ?? Think that's what I would call predictable.

#151 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

At one point the Olympcis had softball and baseball. Two sports equally as close as RU and RL 

Partner sports at the Olympics, baseball for men and softball for women. For a Commonwealth equivalent think rugby (sic)  and netball.

#152 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Technically they could back in 1998 which was when team sports were admitted following a Commonweallth Prime Ministers meeting where the games came up and the Asian ones in particular requested it (the next Games were to be in Malaysia). Cricket was an obvious one and was provisionally included. None of the test playing nations showed any interest and it lapsed. Since then the idea of core sports has become constitutionally enshrined and changing the constitution basically needs to be approved by all CG national Committees. Do the maths.

#153 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

Well PNG won the trial tournament this year, so other teams are capable of winning. The Commonwealth 7s was dominated entirely by NZ until SA beat them in the final this year, but no one seems to have a problem with that. 

Many people more knowledgeable on RL matters than me have commented on this board about the standard of competition at this years 9s event, I'm led to believe the Aussies treated it with their normal level of respect for international RL and New Zealand didn't send a team. If I'm wrong I will stand to be corrected.

#154 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

Haven't NZ won 11 of the 14 world sevens series ?? Think that's what I would call predictable.

But the point of wider medal opportunities being that New Zealand come around 9th or 10th in the medal table and it seems according to a quick Wikipedia search that a 7s bronze is the only medal Fiji have won. England have only won a single 7s medal, that was a silver.

#155 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Many people more knowledgeable on RL matters than me have commented on this board about the standard of competition at this years 9s event, I'm led to believe the Aussies treated it with their normal level of respect for international RL and New Zealand didn't send a team. If I'm wrong I will stand to be corrected.

The Australia team was the Sydney Roosters u18s who won the SG Ball and most of whom, will be NRL regulars. The PNG team were all from the local competitions and just shows how the jump from youth RL to senior squad is huge and somewhere along the line, players start to decline. The Hunters set up is hoping to address that. NZ weren't represented as the officials wanted to get a spread of the Commonwealth and PNG and Australia were already representing that part of the world. I have no problem with that. 

#156 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

Best Knock the RLWC o the head then if that's your criteria for predictable. 

Sevens has a world Series that runs annually with teams from 15 nations in it's "core" and other countries that can win promotion who occasionally field sides..a total of 37 countries have competed over the 14 years to date. Then there's the matter of players actually being born in the country they represent.....yes, this does mean that the smaller nations get hammered and end up in the shield/plate comps, but they still turn up. Then there's the venues across the globe with attendances that are quite impressive.

As for the commonwealth games and NZ dominating......I'd suggest the Olympics kick basketball out of the games if that's your criteria....the USA won the first 7.

The Auckland 9's is brilliant......but as usual, RL Fans get carried away with plans for expansion........it took an organisation as powerful as the IRB decades to get sevens recognised....does anyone here really believe the RLIF have a snowballs? 

#157 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

Partner sports at the Olympics, baseball for men and softball for women. For a Commonwealth equivalent think rugby (sic)  and netball.

Women's rugby 7s is an option sport, I believe.

- Severus, July 2012

#158 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Trying for 2022 http://m.nrl.com/nin...19/default.aspx

#159 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Trying for 2022 http://m.nrl.com/nin...19/default.aspx

it sums up where we are when it's the nrl website announcing this. Is it on the rlif site? Nope http://www.rlif.com is it tweeted to the 35.k followers they have? Nope. Do they have a functioning office? Ownership of international events and the income? Ownership and control of the rules of the game? A worked out international schedule over the next four years? Until these things are sorted it's all pipe dreams
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users