League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

That hybrid game England vs Wallabies - December 6?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

Interesting days ahead ....

http://www.triplem.c...on-hybrid-game/

#2 Southern Tiger

Southern Tiger
  • Coach
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

How about one against the soccer team too, another stupid idea but at least it would generate money!
If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

Posted Image

#3 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

I'm so sick of hearing about this ######.

#4 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:22 AM

ARU just want a free feed, let them die.

#5 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

How about one against the soccer team too, another stupid idea but at least it would generate money!

Now I would pay good money to watch that, seeing John Terry, and Stevie Gerrad, tough guys getting smacked

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

same story from 6months ago

http://www.espn.co.u...ory/208329.html

got shot down then too

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

Slow news day.. again.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#8 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

As I stated on the previous thread about this proposal, I wrote to the RFL in February asking them to re-think this folly of a cross code match.  Particularly one that provides the union team with a massive advantage.  I received the following response:

"Sorry but we are not sure where you got this information from"

Presumably, this means that they were / are not aware of any proposed game and are not currently intending to enter into any agreement to play such a game.  At least that is my interpretation of the response.  .Alternatively, it could mean, keep your nose out, this should not yet be in the public domain!  I hope the former interpretation is correct

#9 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

"December 6 has been set for the date for the League Union hybrid game at Wembley Stadium in London," said Supergrass, on Triple M's Grill Team."

I have just checked Wembley's event calendar for this year and they don't seem to be aware that they will be hosting this event

#10 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

As I stated on the previous thread about this proposal, I wrote to the RFL in February asking them to re-think this folly of a cross code match.  Particularly one that provides the union team with a massive advantage.  I received the following response:

"Sorry but we are not sure where you got this information from"

Presumably, this means that they were / are not aware of any proposed game and are not currently intending to enter into any agreement to play such a game.  At least that is my interpretation of the response.  .Alternatively, it could mean, keep your nose out, this should not yet be in the public domain!  I hope the former interpretation is correct

Come on, we all know the RFL couldn't find their own backside with both hands and a map......  ;)

28m391z.jpg

#11 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Come on, we all know the RFL couldn't find their own backside with both hands and a map......  ;)

Let's just hope that on this occasion they see sense and tell the Aussie union bods to shove it where the sun don't shine

#12 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Let's just hope that on this occasion they see sense and tell the Aussie union bods to shove it where the sun don't shine

I appreciate that this is a money earner for the Wabbalies but do you really think that the RFL will get nothing out of this?

28m391z.jpg

#13 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

I appreciate that this is a money earner for the Wabbalies but do you really think that the RFL will get nothing out of this?

I am sure they will financially but I think a hybrid game, as suggested, provides a massive advantage to the union team and I would also hate to think that British RL was bailing out Aussie union justy a few short years after their president publicly proclaimed his ambition to see RL dead within 5 years. 

#14 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

I am sure they will financially but I think a hybrid game, as suggested, provides a massive advantage to the union team and I would also hate to think that British RL was bailing out Aussie union justy a few short years after their president publicly proclaimed his ambition to see RL dead within 5 years. 

Fair enough, that comment by O'Neil was well out of order and in hindsight has come back to bite him. It's idiots like him who help keep the two codes apart. 

Now if GB RL won, it would be a whole different story and make for some very positive press releases.

28m391z.jpg

#15 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

Fair enough, that comment by O'Neil was well out of order and in hindsight has come back to bite him. It's idiots like him who help keep the two codes apart. 

Now if GB RL won, it would be a whole different story and make for some very positive press releases.

Yes, but any game that retains rucks, mauls and competetive scrums and / or line outs is massively weighted against a RL win. 

#16 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Yes, but any game that retains rucks, mauls and competetive scrums and / or line outs is massively weighted against a RL win. 

Must admit I didn't read the full set of rules that this game would be played under. I can see how that would be too much of a challenge for the RL side and offer an unfair advantage to the RU side.

28m391z.jpg

#17 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

I would image that on December 6, the entire England RL team will be on a beach somewhere.

#18 Lionheart_merged

Lionheart_merged
  • Coach
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

As a keen follower of England and GB rugby league I would not be the slightest bit interested in this novelty game. I would sooner spend my hard earned money going to Oz and New Zealand to watch a proper game so no thanks.

#19 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Must admit I didn't read the full set of rules that this game would be played under. I can see how that would be too much of a challenge for the RL side and offer an unfair advantage to the RU side.

That's right - it would be a challenge for any sports team to play an elite international team at that team's sport.  Basically, just changing the term union rules to hybrid rules is hardly a concession by the union side.  In fact, adopting RL rules and calling it hybrid rules would still not be that great a concession because the union team are not being required to learn any new core skills.     Any hybrid game, short of playing RL, is a disadvantage to League players and a clear advantage to union players..

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,912 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

The crass code forum is the right place for this crock o ######.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users