Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

That hybrid game England vs Wallabies - December 6?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Both Wigan and Bath were a long way off the full time environment and professionalism that they exhibit now. However, Wigan had more years as proper semi-pro footballers i.e a bit more than a few laps round the pitch and a bit of tig and pass as training.

What was interesting about Wigan v Bath is that Wigan most of the time went around Bath rather than through them. It was Bath's inability to have a co-ordinated defensive line - probably as a result of the 8m gap (as it was then). In addition, Wigans ability to pass with speed and accuracy very close to the advantage line was important as was Bath's inability to dominate in the tackle.

Bath primarily reverted to direct gaining of ground through rucks, mauls and scrummaging in the return leg, which was much less pleasing on the eye as a game of rugby.
Wigan and Bradford have both shown that once you take away a lot of rucks, mauls and scrums then the core skills are more important and they can compete - a la Sevens

TT - hope you are trolling, but there is no stoppage at the play-the-ball. The clock does not stop. Both sides can be penalised at any point within the phase of play that is the PTB. Its a different phase thats all not a stoppage, virtually all players are in motion during the play the ball phase.

#42 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

Wasn't this 'exclusively' revealed by Phil Rothfield and yet we heard nothing since? I'd await for a 'journalist' with more credibility to confirm that this is actually even being thought up, let alone happening. This isn't happening, Wembley doesn't hold 92,000 and there's nothing booked on the 6th December. 

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,456 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

Wasn't this 'exclusively' revealed by Phil Rothfield and yet we heard nothing since? I'd await for a 'journalist' with more credibility to confirm that this is actually even being thought up, let alone happening. This isn't happening, Wembley doesn't hold 92,000 and there's nothing booked on the 6th December. 

This would be the same Phil Rothfield who declared that the RWC was rubbish despite proudly admitting to not watching any of it? I think he may be Paul Kent's role model...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Both Wigan and Bath were a long way off the full time environment and professionalism that they exhibit now. However, Wigan had more years as proper semi-pro footballers i.e a bit more than a few laps round the pitch and a bit of tig and pass as training.

What was interesting about Wigan v Bath is that Wigan most of the time went around Bath rather than through them. It was Bath's inability to have a co-ordinated defensive line - probably as a result of the 8m gap (as it was then). In addition, Wigans ability to pass with speed and accuracy very close to the advantage line was important as was Bath's inability to dominate in the tackle.

Bath primarily reverted to direct gaining of ground through rucks, mauls and scrummaging in the return leg, which was much less pleasing on the eye as a game of rugby.
Wigan and Bradford have both shown that once you take away a lot of rucks, mauls and scrums then the core skills are more important and they can compete - a la Sevens

TT - hope you are trolling, but there is no stoppage at the play-the-ball. The clock does not stop. Both sides can be penalised at any point within the phase of play that is the PTB. Its a different phase thats all not a stoppage, virtually all players are in motion during the play the ball phase.

I remember Brian Ashton's (Bath's coach at the time) comment after the League game.  He said that when the two teams emerged from the tunnel at Maine Road, his Bath players looked like a rugby team.  Wigan, though, looked like athletes. That was the difference at the time, which is where ckn is coming from.  Union teams in the first few years of honest taxable payments were playing at professionalism, whereas Wigan were professional. 

#45 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,141 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

This would be the same Phil Rothfield who declared that the RWC was rubbish despite proudly admitting to not watching any of it? 

Possibly he resented the All Blacks winning the competition.

28m391z.jpg

#46 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

I disagree with some of what you said there, fundamentally I agree that the whole idea is a waste of time that will prove nothing however....

I was in Dublin a few years ago and caught the International Rules match between Australia and Ireland, as an outsider whose only experience of either Gaelic Football or Aussie rules was once going to see the Sydney Swans play when I was in Australia in 1983 I thought it was brilliant, a punch up started between the two teams as they walked out from the dressing rooms, they had "Siobhan, will you marry Declan" on the big TV screen before the game started and "Yes I will" at half time and best of all a Dog ran on the pitch and took half the players to catch it. And the Aussies lost. I had tried an awful lot of Guinness by the time the match finished mind you.

That said I see no benefit at all in repeating the exercise.

Give the stout a miss in the future - stick to the whiskey... you'll see more of the action. You'll notice how the players are in a really fit state, unlike a fair number of the crowd.

The hurling/shinty challenge matches of long standing make a bit more sense, as do the camogie/shinty games of more recent vintage, but these are subjects for another forum...

#47 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

Shouldn't we be challenging those big jessies that play the Eton Wall game to a hybrid match? Winner gets to fag for Smyth-Partington?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#48 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

I really can't see the RL clubs going for this.  6th December, after their top players have just returned from what will probably be a grueling series in NZ/OZ, and right at the start of pre-season training.  IMO there'd have to be a great deal of money on the table to tempt them.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#49 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

There would be a huge number of 'unavailable' players in December

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users