Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh - 11 May. Discussion!

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#121 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

Lets see what the score is on a decent pitch at a decent stadium...

That'll be Headingley then!
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#122 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

Little old Dewsbury???
Don't Leigh play in a RENTED stadium

not quite, we have a 12% share.  Love your STADIUM....it's amazing !  ;)

#123 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

Spoke to Ryan brierley on twitter, who was also talking to matt haggarty. Brierley admitted it wasn't malicious, but he did lose afew teeth from the tackle. In my opionion haggertys was not a red. He was commited to the tackle as you can see in the video and the pic that's gone on twitter. Higsons was more a red card than haggertys but he got nothing, but id personally say both shouldn't have got red. It ruined the match. Both should of just gone on report. I honestly believe we would of won had he not got sent off. As for stadiums, well that's just petty!! Rams ground is one of best in league. At leest you get an atmosphere at rams, rather than playing at a souless empty stadium. I was going to wish you goodluck against Leeds and I hope you do our league proud but it appears some of the Leigh fans are bellends. Anyway games over now, on to barrow next for us.. All rugby fans, we all only want our sides to win so let's now get along again instead of all being petty and slating each others clubs. If both sets of players can get along imsure fans can too?!!

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 12 May 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#124 Shipley Ram

Shipley Ram
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

not quite, we have a 12% share.  Love your STADIUM....it's amazing !  ;)

Glad you love our stadium, We do too !!

So did all the Wigan fans i spoke to when we played them a few weeks back.

RUGBY LEAGUE IS MY RELIGION.
CROWN FLATT IS MY CHURCH.

#125 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

Same here Chris spoke to him myself

#126 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

Strange, cos Glenn was absolutely fuming when I spoke to him post match! And I doubt he told you he instructed his players to "take out" Brierley.

Higson should have been sent off. It would have affected the result. Not saying we'd have won, but we'd have at least picked up a vital bonus point.

#127 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

I always see a common denominator in games that boil over - the idiot with the whistle. We had Thaler v Fev at home and we had a great game, played at pace with few stoppages.

Compare that to the weekend, he didn't sort out the ptb or police the line - result was niggle that eventually boiled over. Brierley will get targeted at this level, but when you have a good ref with pace on the game that creates acres of space for the other players as Fev found out last week.

Why we get ref'd at this level differently to SL I will never know, the rule book is the same and we pay to watch 80m of RL from which the best team on the day should win.

#128 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

I always see a common denominator in games that boil over - the idiot with the whistle. We had Thaler v Fev at home and we had a great game, played at pace with few stoppages.

Compare that to the weekend, he didn't sort out the ptb or police the line - result was niggle that eventually boiled over. Brierley will get targeted at this level, but when you have a good ref with pace on the game that creates acres of space for the other players as Fev found out last week.

Why we get ref'd at this level differently to SL I will never know, the rule book is the same and we pay to watch 80m of RL from which the best team on the day should win.

Yeah, think it's an interesting one.

I remember wincing when Samoa played France in the World Cup last year, as their big forwards were giving Barthau a right towelling every time he touched the ball. It's up to the match officials to stamp out that sort of play, and I think that's why Merrich sent off Haggarty on Sunday.

I'm a Rams fan, and I can't help being biased, but from watching that vid it looks like it was a clash of heads that did the damage, but he was late and deserved a sin-bin at the least.

I think the fact the Higson incident happened during broken play, and that it was between two similar-sized players, diluted it a bit - not that it should - and I'd be interested to see what action gets taken against Higson and what gets said in his defence, as it was a bad one.

Still - we move on. Think we deserved a bonus point, but Beswick and Brierley had too much class when it mattered.

#129 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Higson's foul is a shocker. The ref was looking in the direction of the pass and the TJ would have had a clear view, it is hard to see how he stayed on. Will be interesting to see how many games he gets for that.

#130 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Yeh Glenn looked fuming in the bar afterwards tom lad

#131 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

It's irrespective how many games he might get. The fact is we had too much to do with 12 players against an extremely fit side. Him being banned for a game or 3 now won't help us.The incident should have been dealt with at the time.

As for the Leigh comments that we wouldn't have won in honesty I agree but had the try for offside been allowed and both side had an equal number of players in the second half Leigh would (IMO) still have been playing catch up with an hour gone. No doubt fitness would have told in the final quarter but I'm sure we would have picked up a valuable BP. 

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#132 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Strange, cos Glenn was absolutely fuming when I spoke to him post match! And I doubt he told you he instructed his players to "take out" Brierley.

Higson should have been sent off. It would have affected the result. Not saying we'd have won, but we'd have at least picked up a vital bonus point.

why don't you read my post correctly, I was stood with the 2 coaches chatting in that dive of a bar near the changing rooms eating a bit of post match Pasta when they were discussing it, at which point do i state he directly told me?

I also had a drink with Haggerty who is one big fella and knows most of the Leigh team as I didn't realize he was a Leigh Miners lad, Morrison may have been fuming after a defeat but the fact of the matter is your tactics were to take Brierley out and you succeeded.

#133 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, think it's an interesting one.

I remember wincing when Samoa played France in the World Cup last year, as their big forwards were giving Barthau a right towelling every time he touched the ball. It's up to the match officials to stamp out that sort of play, and I think that's why Merrich sent off Haggarty on Sunday.

I'm a Rams fan, and I can't help being biased, but from watching that vid it looks like it was a clash of heads that did the damage, but he was late and deserved a sin-bin at the least.

I think the fact the Higson incident happened during broken play, and that it was between two similar-sized players, diluted it a bit - not that it should - and I'd be interested to see what action gets taken against Higson and what gets said in his defence, as it was a bad one.

Still - we move on. Think we deserved a bonus point, but Beswick and Brierley had too much class when it mattered.

Higson was hit with an elbow and had just got back into the line after treatment - again right in front of the same official
We need the officials to operate to the rule book and accept responsibility for creating the opportunity for teams to entertain the paying public

#134 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

why don't you read my post correctly, I was stood with the 2 coaches chatting in that dive of a bar near the changing rooms eating a bit of post match Pasta when they were discussing it, at which point do i state he directly told me?

I also had a drink with Haggerty who is one big fella and knows most of the Leigh team as I didn't realize he was a Leigh Miners lad, Morrison may have been fuming after a defeat but the fact of the matter is your tactics were to take Brierley out and you succeeded.

So do we need an apology from the section of the Leigh faithful chanting " y' dirty Yorkshire barsteward" then ?

#135 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

DISAPPOINTED TO SEE THE LACK OF BANS FOR FOUL AND ABUSIVE LAUNGUGE ON THIS THREAT
SEEMS THE BOTTLELESS MODERATORS OF THIS FORUM ONLY PICK ON WHO THEY LIKE

SO MR DRAKE WHERE ARE YOU NOW!!!!!!!
DOUBLE STANDARDS OF THE RIDUICULAS ORDER!!!!

Edited by coolie, 13 May 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#136 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Having seen the highlights on YouTube id expect higson will get 3 games for that tackle and haggerty sending off sufficient. At first I thought higson timed it wrong but by looks of the highlight on YouTube it was just a pure act of cowardness. I don't believe haggertys was a sending off in a million years. Even you Leigh fans must agree the higson one is a lot worse. Suprised young callan becket still had his head after that tackle

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 13 May 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#137 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,628 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

DISAPPOINTED TO SEE THE LACK OF BANS FOR FOUL AND ABUSIVE LAUNGUGE ON THIS THREAT
SEEMS THE BOTTLELESS MODERATORS OF THIS FORUM ONLY PICK ON WHO THEY LIKE

SO MR DRAKE WHERE ARE YOU NOW!!!!!!!
DOUBLE STANDARDS OF THE RIDUICULAS ORDER!!!!

As I explained to you recently in a private email exchange (which I'm happy to post up here in full for everyone to see if you wish) the post which you made, and which resulted in you receiving a temporary suspension from posting (not a ban) was reported by another forum member (not a moderator), and dealt with by a Site Admin (ckn, not a local forum moderator).

So far, no one (including you) has reported anything from this thread which probably explains why no Site Admin has taken any action, as we don't see everything that's posted on this forum, believe it or not. The only reason I've seen this is because you just emailed me to tell me you'd posted it.

It would have been simpler and more useful to just use the report button to flag up whatever bad language (or any other breach of the forum Terms & Conditions of Use) you have seen, and leave it to be dealt with. That's the way it usually works, and that's what I explained to you in the aforementioned email exchange.

You haven't done that, neither has anyone else yet.

All I'm interested in is keeping the forum free of bad language (which you have admitted to using on here) and personal abuse, in line with the Terms & Conditions which everyone on here has signed up to when becoming a member, so that it can be used and enjoyed by Rugby League fans of all ages and backgrounds. I don't think that's a bad thing to aim for. But it's up to all forum members themselves to help achieve that, by making sure all (not just some) of their own posts are acceptable and reporting posts which break these pretty basic and reasonable rules.

If you do that, it will be dealt with. If you don't, it probably won't.

Over to you.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#138 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Having seen the highlights on YouTube id expect higson will get 3 games for that tackle and haggerty sending off sufficient. At first I thought higson timed it wrong but by looks of the highlight on YouTube it was just a pure act of cowardness. I don't believe haggertys was a sending off in a million years. Even you Leigh fans must agree the higson one is a lot worse. Suprised young callan becket still had his head after that tackle

I have watched them all deed player leads with elbow before Higson incident - 3 match ban, Higson doesn't go high Dewsbury player slips- NFA, and Haggerty was a late and pre meditated assault to the head- 6 games
I am impartial too

#139 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

You must off been watching a different game to us

#140 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Even Ryan Brierley agreed with me on twitter that Haggerty's was not a sending off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users