Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh - 11 May. Discussion!

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#161 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

Good Grief (see lads...no swearing) It's like Dewsbury were robbed of a victory. Teams can win games with 12 men you know, and in the end you didn't even get a bonus point. And you only scored at the end, coz we had 10 men (2 sin binned 1 injured, no subs left) GET OVER IT.

No - you had 12 men. Acton hadn't been sin-binned and you were still making subs. Best team won, but 8-0 up against top of the league and the referee made two big calls against us. I think we're OK to feel aggrieved! 

#162 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

No - you had 12 men. Acton hadn't been sin-binned and you were still making subs. Best team won, but 8-0 up against top of the league and the referee made two big calls against us. I think we're OK to feel aggrieved! 

Tom, Leigh did have ten on for the last couple of minutes. Armstrong went off and wasn't replaced (either nobody fit, or subs used up) Not that it made any difference. As for a bad disciplinary record, check out the latest findings from that match, where nobody has been suspended.

http://www.therfl.co...fl/disciplinary

#163 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

Tom, Leigh did have ten on for the last couple of minutes. Armstrong went off and wasn't replaced (either nobody fit, or subs used up) Not that it made any difference. As for a bad disciplinary record, check out the latest findings from that match, where nobody has been suspended.

http://www.therfl.co...fl/disciplinary

Alan, budgie referred to the moments before the try was scored - not the last couple of minutes, when you may well have been down to 12 men.

And I think it's an absolutely scandalous decision not to ban Higson.

Edited by Tom Coates, 15 May 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#164 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

Once again the officials have bottled it again when it came to the hearings,should not really be surprised when this happens.Leigh players can carry on doing the same dirty thing next week and nothing happens.

#165 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

be

Once again the officials have bottled it again when it came to the hearings,should not really be surprised when this happens.Leigh players can carry on doing the same dirty thing next week and nothing happens.

OK (dons tin hat) - I had a very good view of both incidents, and in both cases I thought the players involved should of walked. I've seen nothing on the video to change my mind - both tackles were dangerous (or clumsy if you are giving the benefit of the doubt) on players in vulnerable positions. Both should have been banned for a couple of matches IMO. Had Haggerty put the shoulder into Brierley's face, and Higson late tackled Beckett, I suggest we would still be arguing that Haggerty's offence was the lesser - it's human nature, but in the cold light of hindsight, I don't think there was much difference (removes hat). The disallowed try - can't fathom it, it was good as far as I could see, so I can only think the schoolboy with the flag was influenced by the vociferous support in the corner. Either way, we would almost certainly still have lost, because the gale was worth more than twelve points against a good team, but I think a bonus point was nailed on, and it's loss could make a big difference come the end of the season.

#166 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

So Matthew Haggerty was marginally late with initial contact to the shoulder. How is this a sending off offence?

#167 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

The rfl are laughing stocks yet again here! Asif higson didn't get a ban. Even if higson was a rams player I'd of thought atleest a 2 match ban. I'd personally give 3. Still don't agree at all!!!

#168 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

I'm not saying Adam higson is a dirty player and did it deliberate, he probably just timed it all wrong and lost his mind for a split few seconds but the tackler in that situation as to be more careful. The rfl and dave Merrick on Sunday failed in both situations here but then again it is the blind Steve Ganson who probably viewed it and he has an history of missing the obvious and making cockups.. Ie millenium magic, and the cock up video ref show last season I think it was

#169 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

So Matthew Haggerty was marginally late with initial contact to the shoulder. How is this a sending off offence?

The referee is the sole arbiter on the field of play - if he deems it a sending off, then it is.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#170 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

I'm not saying Adam higson is a dirty player and did it deliberate, he probably just timed it all wrong and lost his mind for a split few seconds but the tackler in that situation as to be more careful. The rfl and dave Merrick on Sunday failed in both situations here but then again it is the blind Steve Ganson who probably viewed it and he has an history of missing the obvious and making cockups.. Ie millenium magic, and the cock up video ref show last season I think it was

As far as I'm aware it is an independent panel including a couple of ex players. Decisions sometimes don't seem fair but a reasonable adjudication has taken place and you have to accept the outcome and move on.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#171 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

Having watched the video I'm astonished at that decision. Still don't think Haggerty is a sending off offence but it matters not. We can move on , thankfully it is very rare we have players in trouble at Red Hall.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#172 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

The panel obviously missed the fact that Beckett didn't actually have hold of the ball at the time of impact and that the Leigh player rise toward the head as he brings his arm forward and his fist appears to be clenched!!!.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#173 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

its absolutely laughable how both these incidents have not brought a ban. In the case of haggerty and dewsbury they have been punished already with a sending off and it has cost the club possible points. As for Leigh I really don't know how and why they are getting away with it so consistently.
The Higson incident you could not get any clear cut as that attack to the head. There was no 'unclear' view of the incident, there was no initial shoulder contact it was pure and simple a dangerous head high shot that should be punished. This is not a stab at Leigh it is a stab at the clowns who are running the game in this country. If that is in the NRL its a certain 3 matches.
As for Leigh they will continue to run with these tactics that are working so well for them as there is clearly no punishment.
the first time someone lays a finger on their players theres a punishment or a ban.
The only reason Penkywicz got a 1 match ban this week is because they banned andy kain and could hardly ban one without the other.

Edited by Deano44, 16 May 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#174 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

We get away with it because we don't do it, when the dust settles and the DVD is watched that becomes apparent to the panel
We want a fast open game our opponents don't want that so revert to the tactics displayed by yourselves last weekend
Your game plan was to slow it down push the ref for a short ten and take the halves at every opportunity. Your pitch allows for those tactics and
those tactics if allowed will result in a flare up at some point, a better ref would have stopped it first five minutes

#175 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

We get away with it because we don't do it, when the dust settles and the DVD is watched that becomes apparent to the panel
We want a fast open game our opponents don't want that so revert to the tactics displayed by yourselves last weekend
Your game plan was to slow it down push the ref for a short ten and take the halves at every opportunity. Your pitch allows for those tactics and
those tactics if allowed will result in a flare up at some point, a better ref would have stopped it first five minutes

So no comment on the Higson decision, then?

Slowing down the game is not against the rules, nor is putting pressure on half-backs. Keighley executed that exact same game plan against us the previous week and it worked fantastically.

I don't think the RFL are corrupt, I don't think they favour the big clubs, but I do believe they have made a right mess of this decision.

Higson doesn't attempt a tackle, there is no attempt to wrap the arms, our player doesn't even get the ball, the referee's whistle had already gone (for a penalty for obstruction) and contact is with the head. Astonished.

Edited by Tom Coates, 16 May 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#176 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Pass is in motion, Higson comes in to prevent overlap, player stumbles causing contact to back of head and poor pass goes behind player - we all see things differently and hence the impartial panel. The law relating to speed of PTB as follows:

11. The play-the-ball must be performed as quickly as
possible. Any player who intentionally delays the
bringing of the ball into play shall be penalised

Because we cannot state 3 seconds 10 seconds etc this is up to manipulation and interpretation, the refs who get pace on the game create a better spectacle with fewer penalties imo. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users