Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

09/05/14 - Warrington Wolves v Catalan Dragons KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Warrington Wolves by 21 points or more (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Warrington Wolves by 13 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Warrington Wolves by 1 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Catalan Dragons by 1 to 12 points (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

6. Catalan Dragons by 13 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Catalan Dragons by 21 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

Still a lot of errors from us, we need to be better than this against Saints. Fortunately Catalan have been as error prone as us which has allowed us to take advantage,.

#82 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

Defence for warrington - hasn't it been good??

It hasn't had to contend with anything to be fair!  Except that first attempt at a try by the Dragons, on the wing.  THAT was good defence.

#83 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

why can't Escaré do this when the game is alive ??

#84 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

why can't Escaré do this when the game is alive ??

It was Escare's nutty pass from between his legs that started the Dragons' speedy slide into oblivion in this game (what was the lad thinking of by doing that exactly?).  Escare was on fire last weekend.  Has he been poorly or something?  Mind you, Pryce was very good last weekend too although to be fair, Pyce is rarely very good for two consecutive weekends.

#85 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

It hasn't had to contend with anything to be fair!  Except that first attempt at a try by the Dragons, on the wing.  THAT was good defence.

Early on set the tone, 95% success in the tackle! needs to be higher next week.

You'll still give us a spanking

#86 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

It was Escare's nutty pass from between his legs that started the Dragons' speedy slide into oblivion in this game (what was the lad thinking of by doing that exactly?).  Escare was on fire last weekend.  Has he been poorly or something?  Mind you, Pryce was very good last weekend too although to be fair, Pyce is rarely very good for two consecutive weekends.

I think the forwards need to take the credit for Wire and stick for Catalan. The backs had little to work with for catalan to be fair.

#87 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

It's not just him, most of the team is just a shadow of themselves away from home. I still think something is not right with the attitude of the squad..

#88 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Tony Smith sounded even more bored than me. Please keep him away from the mike. He kills everything.

#89 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

The interviews focused on the dropped ball from Catalan there, but tbh Warrington made as many errors as Catalan. It was the lack of go forward and some good play by Warrington. 

The analysis is always too simple - both teams dropped the ball, one were just better at pretty much everything else.

#90 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

The interviews focused on the dropped ball from Catalan there, but tbh Warrington made as many errors as Catalan. It was the lack of go forward and some good play by Warrington. 

The analysis is always too simple - both teams dropped the ball, one were just better at pretty much everything else.

the difference was in defence

#91 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Still a lot of errors from us, we need to be better than this against Saints. Fortunately Catalan have been as error prone as us which has allowed us to take advantage,.

Spot on, I don't think Warrington should read too much into that win, though it may buck up their confidence a bit, they were still not totally at the races.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#92 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Ok. Make sure the Kleenex is handy.

Sounds like i missed a classic LOL
Sorry but too many mismatches on sky at the moment,not to mention the amateur commentary

#93 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Spot on, I don't think Warrington should read too much into that win, though it may buck up their confidence a bit, they were still not totally at the races.

It was pretty similar to Good Friday, then look what happened in our next two SL games!

Our defence was generally very good, until play became broken, we seemed to be all at sea and a couple of our forwards still don't look fit yet and don't get back in line.

SOme pleasing things, some very nice tries, but plenty improvement to hopefully come.

#94 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

It was pretty similar to Good Friday, then look what happened in our next two SL games!

Our defence was generally very good, until play became broken, we seemed to be all at sea and a couple of our forwards still don't look fit yet and don't get back in line.

SOme pleasing things, some very nice tries, but plenty improvement to hopefully come.

I think Warrington have started to pick up that loose ball advantage better from what I've seen in other games. Quicker to the loose, apart from when lazy players just take advantage of having never attempted to get back.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#95 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

It's not just him, most of the team is just a shadow of themselves away from home. I still think something is not right with the attitude of the squad..

I agree with your comment on attitude.  Virtually the same team played at home against Salford as away against Warrington and yet the attitude towards each game was totally different.  If the players are relying upon their home form to get them through then they are taking a risk.  It's not like they have a major travelling problem this year either with charter flights taking them away and back home again.

#96 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

Early on set the tone, 95% success in the tackle! needs to be higher next week.

You'll still give us a spanking

I would like us to give you a spanking but based on what I saw at LP against London we have a very long way to go to restore confidence in the fanbase!  Our attitude towards hard work still stinks and our attack is misfiring.  Had it not been for Luke Walsh on Thursday night I am not even sure we would have won!

However, back to the game tonight (as I don't want to be accused of Saints navel gazing again!) ... I think the comment about the forwards was probably accurate.  Chris Hill continues to impress for Warrington.  That lad never stops working his butt off.  By contrast, the Catalan forwards appeared to want the night off.

Edited by Saintslass, 09 May 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#97 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

Another poor selection by Sky.These one sided games are not doing our game any favours.The comparison with Thursday is vast-its like watching another sport.

#98 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

What exactly is the travel schedule for the Cats?

If they are chartering from Perpignan they will have to be there at least an hour before the flight time. Then the time on the plane...2 hours...then getting through the airport, on to a coach and then up to an hour on the bus.

I assume a minimum of 5 hours from players house to the ground. How early a start and how much prep time at the ground/ hotel?

I realise that for the English sides it is a one off but they still typically arrive in Perpignan at least 48 hours b4 the game.

And the RL have said next Saturday they fly in on the morning for a 12.30 kick off.

Is it any wonder they seem mentally and physically unprepared.

#99 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

It's not like they have a major travelling problem this year either with charter flights taking them away and back home again.[/quote]

Maybe just a cost saving exercise.....cheaper to charter same day than travel to Girona? book a scheduled flight and then pay for hotels.

It gets them home quicker but that is less relevant than pre match.

Premier League teams like Spurs charter a flight to Cardiff the Day b4 the match.

It might help if the league schedule gave them away games on Sunday followed by Thurs/Friday allowing them to stay over every 3/4 weeks in a fixed training camp in the North West. Followed by 2 home games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users