Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

11/05/14 - Bradford Bulls v St Helens KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Bradford Bulls by 21 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Bradford Bulls by 13 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Bradford Bulls by 1 to 12 points (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Draw (1 votes [20.00%])

5. St Helens by 1 to 12 points (1 votes [20.00%])

6. St Helens by 13 to 20 points (1 votes [20.00%])

7. St Helens by 21 points or more (1 votes [20.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Discuss Bradford Bulls v St Helens here:

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

http://www.bradfordb...lls-to-remember

BRADFORD BULLS, this weekend, will be marking the 29th anniversary of a disaster which left the city, country and sporting world in a state of shock. 

The Bradford City fire occurred, Sunday May 11, 1985, precisely 29 years to the day, as we welcome St Helens to The Provident Stadium.

Club officials are inviting everyone attending the First Utility Super League clash to pay tribute to those who tragically lost their lives on that fateful afternoon.

As a club, Bradford Bulls recognises the significance of events which unfolded and, ahead of kick-off, directors, players, staff and supporters will be provided with an opportunity to pay their respects to those who passed away and their families.

Chairman Marc Green said: “The disaster which unfolded at the home of Bradford City Football Club rocked the city of Bradford and the sporting world.

“Today marks its 29th anniversary and as a club we wanted to pay tribute, in a fit and proper manner, to those who sadly lost their lives.

“We are fully aware of how much this means to the city and its people and how important the city is to sport in the region.”

Bradford's District Fire Service commander Martin Speed will be in attendance on Sunday, along with a host of colleagues from the emergency services and representatives of the Rugby Football League and Football League.

Mr Speed added: “This was a devastating fire and a tragic loss of life. This fire has stayed in the hearts and minds, not only of those in the community of Bradford but also of the firefighters who attended the scene that day.

“I have worked with firefighters who were called to this traumatic incident and who have remembered it for decades.

“The fire service is proud to be part of this commemorative event to pay tribute to the 56 souls lost that fateful day.”

Fire prevention youth trainer Ken Hunter was one of the firefighters called from Pudsey Fire Station to the incident at around 3.45pm on May 11, 1985.

He said: “One of my lasting memories was the amount of people opening up their homes to supply drinks and comfort to all comers. I remember thinking at the time, ‘why can’t we be like this all the time, just trusting and caring for each other as human beings?’

“Although that day was the worst day of my working life, and the memories are still vivid, the kindness shown on that day makes remembering easier.”

On Sunday morning, from 11.00am, Bulls directors will join members of Francis Cummins' first-teams squad in a ceremony designed to commemorate those who lose their lives during the blaze. Officials are to lay flowers, while paying their respects.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

We can win this if:

- we can handle the Saints' trademark early blitz

- we play like we did against Warrington and concentrate on tiring their forwards over the first hour.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

I have gone for a draw, but don't really believe it . If I were a betting man I'd put my house on Saints.

#5 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

Well, there will be no element of surprise after the last two weeks, so we'll have to wait and see.

Just like the last two, the Saints encounter isn't a game I have down as one I'm expecting to get anything from [blessed is he who doth not expect; for he shall not be disappointed.... :tongue: ] though I'll be surprised if the Bulls don't turn up and make a game of it, which basically means the result is really up to Saints. If they turn up in the right frame of mind they'll probably win - if they don't, well,.. don't rule out the Bulls!

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#6 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

Think Saints will have just about enough to win this one.

Looks like its going to be the same Saints team as last week. Its a pity young Savelio isn't going to play this week as he played for the U19's against the Bulls last night (scored a hat trick and tore the bulls forwards apart)

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

A good test for the Bulls new found confidence,having taken two noticeable scalps in Catalans and Warrington,could go either way.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Think Saints will have just about enough to win this one.

Looks like its going to be the same Saints team as last week. Its a pity young Savelio isn't going to play this week as he played for the U19's against the Bulls last night (scored a hat trick and tore the bulls forwards apart)

Yeah but we have Nathan Brown as a coach remember!  Why put a big strapping lad in the pack against a perceived 'weaker' team than, say, Leeds (when he played his debut), when you can put in smaller lads who make virtually no impact going forward at all?  Let's leave it all to Walmsley and Knock on Nelly from down under to make the yards instead, meaning our rather fine number seven has to conjure up kicking and passing tricks to buy us some land and we have two worn out props come the business end of the season.  Dipstick.  (Nathan Brown that is)

We should win this simply because we have better players in key positions.  Apologies if that sounds arrogant; I'm just stating things as I see them.  However, our attack against London lacked cohesion, bar the odd move, relying heavily upon moments of brilliance and foresight from Luke Walsh rather than a team effort and bar the first 20 minutes our defence went west.  So I wasn't encouraged after that supposed response to Big Mac's whipping in the matchday programme.  Coach and players - all players rather than those who routinely work hard - need to get their collective fingers out and work their butts off against Bradford.  They need to make this the match to make a statement of intent for the rest of the season since they didn't manage to do that on Thursday or else I fear we may be undone by the enthusiasm of a resurgent Bradford side.

Edited by Saintslass, 09 May 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#9 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

In the build up to the Warrington game, after beating Catalans, I said

The Bulls really need to back up last week's performance here. A win is pretty unlikely, but it isn't impossible. But they need to show the same determination and fight they did against Catalans here, otherwise we are back to square one.

Substitute Catalans for Wire in the above and it's about right again. Difference is now we have our tails up, people notice us, hard for lightning to strike three times in successive weeks. Also I think Saints will be far more efficient at killing the game off than Warrington and Catalans - have we started any game this year at blistering pace ourselves? All I can remember is bumbling about for 15/20 minutes and waking up after that.

After Wakey winning tonight, we effectively need a 5 game swing against them (unless our points difference takes a massive turn, or the administration hearing treats us lightly). It's a back to reality weekend. Not as close as people think - Saints by at least 20. (As always, happy to be proven wrong..!)

Edited by Amber Avenger, 09 May 2014 - 11:00 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#10 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Pretty much agree with that Amber, and you're spot on about our super-slow starts - we definitely can't afford that against a Saints side renowned for the exact opposite. The game could be over as a contest after 15 minutes if we don't get into gear pdq.

#11 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Bradford should train their sights on Salford rather than Trinity. Be good to see some of the Bull army turn up again. Surely the team deserves the benefit of any doubt?

#12 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

Chev Walker and Manoukafoa are back in today which is a big plus for the Bulls, conditions might also assist and I could see it suiting the Bulls if they are patient.........big negative is the loss of Kearney as a lot will depend on 6 and 7 today.

I just hope Franny plays Gaskell at 6.

If Saints play well then they will win but I don't think it will be by too many, if the Bulls turn up and puts Saints on the back foot or Saints are not on it for 80 mins then a Bulls win would be no surprise.

A tough game to call this as the Bulls are improving and have players back which means the pack is looking very solid and a three quarter line that might be Kear, Wardle, Purtill, Henry just backs it up.

Could see either team winning this by a 6-10 pt margin............which one is the 64 million dollar question......certainly a head scratcher!!!

#13 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

Chev Walker and Manoukafoa are back in today which is a big plus for the Bulls, conditions might also assist and I could see it suiting the Bulls if they are patient.........big negative is the loss of Kearney as a lot will depend on 6 and 7 today.

I just hope Franny plays Gaskell at 6.

If Saints play well then they will win but I don't think it will be by too many, if the Bulls turn up and puts Saints on the back foot or Saints are not on it for 80 mins then a Bulls win would be no surprise.

A tough game to call this as the Bulls are improving and have players back which means the pack is looking very solid and a three quarter line that might be Kear, Wardle, Purtill, Henry just backs it up.

Could see either team winning this by a 6-10 pt margin............which one is the 64 million dollar question......certainly a head scratcher!!!

Not being funny, but whilst I realise Purtill is Purtell, who is Wardle ?

We used to have a Wardle in the juniors a few years back but he left for Hudds after his time in the Academy, and was still there last time I looked. We've not got him back, have we?

Edited by Bulliac, 11 May 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

Weather's bloody awful on the bright side of the Pennines.  If it's like this on the dark side then the match is going to be one miserable experience!

#15 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

Not being funny, but whilst I realise Purtill is Purtell, who is Wardle ?

We used to have a Wardle in the juniors a few years back but he left for Hudds after his time in the Academy, and was still there last time I looked. We've not got him back, have we?

Doh........Arundel..........brain not in gear!

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Something has come up so I doubt I can make it now. Probably a defeat for Bradford but as long as the effort is there that will be something.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

Saints saying that the weather in Bradford is terrible: cold, chucking it down with rain and very windy. There's also a bog in one corner of the pitch, which should be fun for the players.

#18 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Currently 0-22 at arf tarm.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,833 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

I think we've found out which St Helens team turned up...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Saints won 50-0. Can't ask for more than that.

Next weekend's clash with Warrington is nicely set up after their impressive win on Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users