Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Players

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Fat lad

Fat lad
  • Workington
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

Was there any Wigan players at training last night

#2 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

Don't think so mate

#3 Fat lad

Fat lad
  • Workington
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:13 PM

Looking at the Wigan team no Powell or Conner farrall

#4 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Looking at the Wigan team no Powell or Conner farrall

Hope we get them again Sunday

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

Powell has to be a must if available . Sparks others as well as what he offers himself

#6 Kick

Kick
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Powell wasn't in the squad tonight so...

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Yep . And would be good this week to see him link up in some way with Callum to give us some more xfactor and zip. Hopefully Karl is fit and that's two big boosts .

Edited by DavidM, 09 May 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#8 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Only Murphy in from Wigan tomorrow

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

Strange that a bloke can't go from Wigan to Rochdale on a matchday ? Just had a cold sweat looking at the fixtures - I'd say tomorrow's verging on a must win .

Edited by DavidM, 10 May 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#10 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

if that's true what a farce.

#11 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

We don't get them once they're fit for 1st team duty, Gelling, Hughes and Powell confirm that. Only one I'm surprised about is Farrell not coming but Wigan may be thinking that they'll need him in coming weeks. Looking after themselves as per. The downside of DR and the reason a lot don't like it.

#12 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

Murphy
Connor
Mossop
Red
Carter
Forber
Callum
Shacks
Matty
Big Brett
Stack
Mcavoy
Olstrum

Coward
Lupton
Rowlandson
Rooney

More than enough there to beat Rochdale. Hope to see the Phillips brothers both starts.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

I don't see why Farrell and Powell couldn't have played it's not as if they are going to be selected in the next couple of weeks or so for Wigan's SL team. They tell us one thing and do the complete opposite. Weren't we going to get two props on a regular basis? Oh, and a stand-off at some point? The truth is we haven't a clue who we might or might not get for any particular match. At least Charlo told Widnes which of their players would play for us.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

No I don't either , but we won't be told . It's totally ad hoc and top secret . We'll see where our squad is tomorrow then . With Eliott injured and two of the amateurs out of it , everyone bar one will get in . Good job we are virtually fully healthy then as the Star says ...

Edited by DavidM, 10 May 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#15 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 557 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Dont worry too much it should be a level playing field tomorrow all the saints players rochdale have used this year are in the saints squad this weekend 

#16 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

Dont worry too much it should be a level playing field tomorrow all the saints players rochdale have used this year are in the saints squad this weekend

Not so much worried as frustrated donald, as the fans don't know from one week to the next who will be playing for us and it seems neither do the people who select our team. I believe it's time we either got something more permanent with Wigan or told them to sling their hook as Barrow and Leigh did. Apart from 2 of the Wigan coaching staff coming to our training on one evening what other benefits have we had from this partnership? More and more people are saying enough is enough.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

I think town army has nailed it . They have a few injuries and don't want to risk any more . So guys who should be here are wrapped up just in case . It is all very strange . Players come , players go . Even when it seems they're available they're held back . There's guys loaned out , guys still playing in the u19s ... You do wonder where we fit in to it all , and how it's worked out and at what timescale prior to a game . Is there a plan or do we get a nod on Friday morning ? Very hard to get any continuity , and guys don't know if they're playing until they see if anyone comes in their spot . I think it's potentially a huge plus for us and have said so - but only if it's consistent and quality driven . It's all been pretty staccato and hit n miss quality wise so far . I'm afraid we're not in the position to give it the flick . We just don't have the numbers , so we're just gonna have to swallow it and continue to try and get the best out of it till seasons end .

Edited by DavidM, 10 May 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#18 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

I'd have thought Wigan would've had more strength in depth as would everyone at the club no doubt. It would appear that outside of a nucleus of 25 or so Wigan don't really have anyone capable of stepping up to our level which is a surprise and a disappointment to me. There's nothing to say we aren't offered the likes of Lever etc. who aren't any better than what we have so we decline them though.

#19 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

They'll be down to a skeletal 30 or so...they work by their own plan when all is said and done , but I agree you'd think a machine like Wigan would have at least three or four players who'd stand out at this level on offer every week . At times it seems they have , but they don't come . The prop rotation as Keith said did seem the core of it . We counted double figure props a while back .... You'd hope with those numbers that at least side of things would hold up

Edited by DavidM, 10 May 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#20 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'm sure once they get a fully fit squad we'll then start seeing the benefit but at the moment we'll just have to grin and bear it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users