Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Six Game GB Tour planned for 2015

But Aussies wont sign off

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

I'm not really that bothered whether they bring back the GB team. I can see the arguments both ways. What will hurt the development of International RL in this country is the fact that we don't appear to be playing at home til 2016. Two consecutive tours down under, and seemingly no mid season games. Whether the team is England or GB, you won't maintain the interest of all those newcomers who turned out at Wembley and elsewhere last year by not playing any games for them to come and watch. The England 'brand' will never grow if we don't play any games in this country. 

Agree totally with this. I am pretty cheesed off at no home internationals planned for end of season until 2016. What is worse that the RFL couldn't be a***d to set up some mid-season international football at home. I know we have key players out but would it have been that hard to set up a match with Scotland, Wales or France in July? Give it back to a successful WC venue like Bristol, Workington or Rochdale and sell tickets at keen prices to sell out.

Lazy, lazy lazy!

#42 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Agree totally with this. I am pretty cheesed off at no home internationals planned for end of season until 2016. What is worse that the RFL couldn't be a***d to set up some mid-season international football at home. I know we have key players out but would it have been that hard to set up a match with Scotland, Wales or France in July? Give it back to a successful WC venue like Bristol, Workington or Rochdale and sell tickets at keen prices to sell out.

Lazy, lazy lazy!

We should be playing France home and away each season anyway, for the good of both nations.

#43 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

Lazy, lazy lazy!

As far as I know, the likes of Wales and Scotland are still waiting to hear about the funding levels the RLIF are planning. From what I can gather, this decision has been delayed further, so they can't announce anything concrete. Presumably the newly appointed chairman and deputy chairman of the RLIF have been too busy congratulating each other on their new jobs to actually make any firm decisions. 

#44 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

As far as I know, the likes of Wales and Scotland are still waiting to hear about the funding levels the RLIF are planning. From what I can gather, this decision has been delayed further, so they can't announce anything concrete. Presumably the newly appointed chairman and deputy chairman of the RLIF have been too busy congratulating each other on their new jobs to actually make any firm decisions. 

Do you mean the ones that were appointed a week ago? Give them chance to get settled in!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#45 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Did English people stop supporting Andy Murray in the Olympics because he was Scottish? .

Yes, yes many did actually.

#46 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Do you mean the ones that were appointed a week ago? Give them chance to get settled in!

It's not an excuse. There should be a team working behind the scenes throughout the year to put plans in place. Then all the board needs to do is ratify those plans. Wood has also been the vice-Chairman (VC) for months so should know exactly what the requirements and details are as they should have been discussed months ago. If not, then he failed in his role as VC...  

It is now May and we have no idea if the home nations will play any internationals this year. It is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#47 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

I think you're wrong geek. Up until the last second defeat in that WC semi against NZ, the atmosphere and 'Enger-land' chanting was noticeably stronger than anything I remember for GB. It was building very nicely but hey, let's go backwards and pretend.

I am flabbergasted that the RFL didn't have a plan on future home internationals based on the success or failure of the WC?

After a successful WC England have 2 or 3 home internationals in the following 18 months & the other home nations have 1 or 2 against teams that peaked the public's interest say, USA, PNG or Samoa & Italy etc

If the WC was so/so have a clause in the contracts to scale it back to the perceived levels of interest.

Or why not have an emerging GB (JUST DON'T LABEL THAT) Where you select the least amount of English players possible based on the strength of rest of the GB players but still keeping it strong enough to compete with 4th to 8th best nations who play the game & strong enough to get encouraging attendances, this would give the best Scots, Welsh & Irish players quality game time vs strong competition but in a winnable possibly upper hand game & more up & coming Non English lads the same high intensity game time, thus fast forwarding their development as players & Nations on both sides of the field.

Tighten up the rules where the top 3 only pick "born on that soil players" while allowing the rest to pick from a tightened up heritage group & keep it on a sliding scale as the better they become the less heritage players they can select, thus all the emerging nations are over night stronger & the top 3 weaker thus a more balanced sport, which benefits the sport and give the fans what they really want, WC's that are genuinely more competitive across the board.

This IMHO will peak interest and help spread the game.

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

It's not an excuse. There should be a team working behind the scenes throughout the year to put plans in place. Then all the board needs to do is ratify those plans. Wood has also been the vice-Chairman (VC) for months so should know exactly what the requirements and details are as they should have been discussed months ago. If not, then he failed in his role as VC...  

It is now May and we have no idea if the home nations will play any internationals this year. It is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

This is why the whole structure is nonsense. They need full time staff actually working and making decisions on a day to day basis, not just a meeting each time there is a Test match on (not very often). To be fair to Wood he has called this out and apparently that is what some of the proceeds from the RLWC will go towards.

Having said all that, I do wonder why the Home Nations games aren't announced anyway.  I know that some funding will be needed to stage these games, but surely the organisers of any tournament (RLEF) should be pulling together sponsors, grants investors etc. to stage these games.

#49 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Of course they would, but this example is not relevant to this discussion. All of the players selected for GB will come from GB.

Really? Did English people stop supporting Andy Murray in the Olympics because he was Scottish? Or the curling team because they were Scottish? I may be naive, but from my experience people aren't so xenophobic that they would refuse to support GB for this reason.

'.

Of course not but that's not the same comparison. A closer one would be if the entire Olympic team came from England would it lose support from the other home nations.

#50 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

This is why the whole structure is nonsense. They need full time staff actually working and making decisions on a day to day basis, not just a meeting each time there is a Test match on (not very often). To be fair to Wood he has called this out and apparently that is what some of the proceeds from the RLWC will go towards.

Having said all that, I do wonder why the Home Nations games aren't announced anyway.  I know that some funding will be needed to stage these games, but surely the organisers of any tournament (RLEF) should be pulling together sponsors, grants investors etc. to stage these games.

Agreed on the first part. Apparently, the Samoans have have had to cancel a tour to the US because the RLIF funding hasn't been decided yet, and won't be agreed on til after they were due to play in July. You'd hope the funding issues were being sorted out long before the change in Chairman, but for whatever reason it appears to be a slow process. 

On the second point, the RLEF are part funded by the RLIF, so any issues will affect them as well, and the likes of Scotland are heavily reliant on the RLIF now with the RFL funding having ceased. 

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Agreed on the first part. Apparently, the Samoans have have had to cancel a tour to the US because the RLIF funding hasn't been decided yet, and won't be agreed on til after they were due to play in July. You'd hope the funding issues were being sorted out long before the change in Chairman, but for whatever reason it appears to be a slow process. 

On the second point, the RLEF are part funded by the RLIF, so any issues will affect them as well, and the likes of Scotland are heavily reliant on the RLIF now with the RFL funding having ceased. 

The reality is though that £3.7m of profit from the World Cup won't go that far. I know there will be additional income each year from TV deals etc to the RLIF but I think we may be expecting too much for an RLIF to sort out all of our international woes, it does still need each country to attract investment themselves.

When I see Scotland having to play a WC warmup game in Featherstone (IIRC) having played not a single game in Scotland that year it makes me pretty angry, but I'm not sure who I should be criticising tbh!

#52 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

GB or England - I really don't care. I just want to see us having the chance to whoop the Aussies over a 3-test series. I actually think this is a better chance for us to topple them than playing them on odd occasions in tournament.

A test series is the right team playing with the right form at the right time. If we knocked them off over 3 games there would be no excuses.

Whether it's England or GB, I'm just not interested in test series or tours, as I would be the Four Nations or other multi-nation tournaments. Playing one nation all the time is boring. 

#53 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

The reality is though that £3.7m of profit from the World Cup won't go that far. I know there will be additional income each year from TV deals etc to the RLIF but I think we may be expecting too much for an RLIF to sort out all of our international woes, it does still need each country to attract investment themselves.

When I see Scotland having to play a WC warmup game in Featherstone (IIRC) having played not a single game in Scotland that year it makes me pretty angry, but I'm not sure who I should be criticising tbh!

The profits won't go very far. £3.7m isn't actually that big an amount when you go through all the countries and tournaments that will be asking for funding, and add on top of that any full time staff that the RLIF might look to employ. And its a good point on individual governing bodies doing more. Maybe the teams that turn up at the World Cups gives us all a false impression of the level some of these nations are actually at. 

#54 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

The profits won't go very far. £3.7m isn't actually that big an amount when you go through all the countries and tournaments that will be asking for funding, and add on top of that any full time staff that the RLIF might look to employ. And its a good point on individual governing bodies doing more. Maybe the teams that turn up at the World Cups gives us all a false impression of the level some of these nations are actually at. 

Yep, agree with that.

Maybe we need to be a touch more ruthless and really focus on a core of stronger nations and provide logistical support for other nations. Do Scotland genuinely deserve investment for them to stage Test matches? What is the return on this? If the answer is yes, great, if not then they need to prove commitment by getting stuck in and staging what they can.

We have too many fake teams imho, as much joy as Scotland, Samoa, Italy etc gave in the RLWC, if they can't actually stage a game at home, with their own players, then what are we actually doing there? It never feels like there is an actual strategy in place, the post-WC planning has been nothing short of a disgrace.

#55 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

Yes, yes many did actually.

Only the petty minded ones.

#56 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

the post-WC planning has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Planning?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#57 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Whether it's England or GB, I'm just not interested in test series or tours, as I would be the Four Nations or other multi-nation tournaments. Playing one nation all the time is boring. 

Not only boring, but as I've said before also the mark of a small-time international game which isn't played in enough countries to have more.

Unfortunately, as others have already pointed out the £3.7 million made by the World Cup won't go very far with a dozen or so countries looking for financial help over the four-year period until the next World Cup.  They needed a plan to get World Cup sponsors on board with supporting Internationals for the countries outside the big three in that period, but there's been no sign of them doing that as far as I know.

#58 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Unfortunately, as others have already pointed out the £3.7 million made by the World Cup won't go very far with a dozen or so countries looking for financial help over the four-year period until the next World Cup.  

There's about 40 or so nations looking for financial assistance, grants to the RLEF and money towards staging RLWC qualifiers amongst other things. One thing about the Four Nations is that its a good earner for the International game inbetween World Cups. 

#59 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

The Emperors clothes. Having large numbers of Heritage players in the RLWC may have lent the tournament "competitive" match up games but have stunted the  International growth of League. Where can Italy play the USA when most of the players are Australian? Answer: Nowhere.

I was at Wembley to watch England beat [apart from the end bit] beat NZ. Great day.

Why is there even a discussion about if or if not GB is touring Aus when this should have been set in stone.

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Planning?

Sadly, there was actually a plan. It involved no England games in England for two years.