Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Six Game GB Tour planned for 2015

But Aussies wont sign off

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

Their is a massive misconception about the Pacific Island Nations as a Rugby League force on most English forums.

I agree to be honest, I can't see them being able to compete, as they just don't have the money and only then only PNG or Fiji are likely to. I can't see a Samoan team of ex-Kiwi internationals being able to beat the Kiwis or Aussies regularly, otherwise they'd be playing for NZ. We need France as the fourth competitive nation, due to their history in the game, huge resources, crowds and of course, because they are a 'real' team full of players developed in France. I hope we can play them either at home or in France before we jet off to the Four Nations, if Catalans don't make the GF we need to play them in October. But we should be playing them in France every year, as it will be more competitive and the crowds would be larger. 

#122 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I agree to be honest, I can't see them being able to compete, as they just don't have the money and only then only PNG or Fiji are likely to. I can't see a Samoan team of ex-Kiwi internationals being able to beat the Kiwis or Aussies regularly, otherwise they'd be playing for NZ. We need France as the fourth competitive nation, due to their history in the game, huge resources, crowds and of course, because they are a 'real' team full of players developed in France. I hope we can play them either at home or in France before we jet off to the Four Nations, if Catalans don't make the GF we need to play them in October. But we should be playing them in France every year, as it will be more competitive and the crowds would be larger. 

I think McNamara has already said that due to the timings of the Grand Final and the Four Nations, there won't be time for England to play a warm up game before they leave. 

#123 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

You could try and encourage France to play.
What is their reason not too?
You could have Scouts in France poaching young athletes to convert from Union to League.
For a Country the size of France with their large Union following why are there not more youngsters brought across to English League Clubs?
France was a force in League some time ago, they came 2nd last in 2008 and flogged by England in the quarter finals in 2013.

England should concentrate on France,
Not Ireland, Scotland or Wales.
Not Croatia, Malta, Italy and Lebanon.
It hardly seems to be rocket science.

france pulled out cos it ruins catalans season....and when catalan players pulled out france had to play players from the french league.....which is no good for us or them...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#124 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

france pulled out cos it ruins catalans season....and when catalan players pulled out france had to play players from the french league.....which is no good for us or them...

There should be a weekend set aside for internationals. Eng v France, Wales v Scotland, Ireland v Italy! Problem solved!

#125 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

well it ain't solved cos catalan still supply 99%. of the french team...players either pulled out,ruining the french tean or got injured ruining catalans season

mid season should be england v the combined celts (celtic tigers)

and a french 2nd string/kids can play homegrown/ESL italians

Edited by roughyedspud, 23 May 2014 - 10:52 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#126 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

well it ain't solved cos catalan still supply 99%. of the french team...players either pulled out,ruining the french tean or got injured ruining catalans season

mid season should be england v the combined celts (celtic tigers)

and a french 2nd string/kids can play homegrown/ESL italians

That's half the problem though Spud.

If France have to draw most of their players from the Catalan Dragons...............

Its a SL Club that has been up and down, often pretty average with a large proportion of often average Aussies.

Is it any wonder France can not compete at Test level when most of the players are dragged out of a mid table team reinforced by many average Aussies in key spots?

This IS the issue.

Edited by boxhead, 23 May 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#127 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

There's more non-Catalans players to pick from these days: Larroyer, Fages, Casty, Martins, Fakir, Bentleys, Gonzales-Triques, Herrold, Gigot, Ferret etc. We could do with more of the fringe players like Vaccari, Baile, Simon, Maria playing at other clubs. 

#128 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

That's half the problem though Spud.
If France have to draw most of their players from the Catalan Dragons...............
Its a SL Club that has been up and down, often pretty average with a large proportion of often average Aussies.
Is it any wonder France can not compete at Test level when most of the players are dragged out of a mid table team reinforced by many average Aussies in key spots?
This IS the issue.

and thats a issue for the FFRXII to address not the RFL

OLDHAM RLFC

#129 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

Can I be cynical?? And say Nigel Wood is just throwing his weight around wanting a GB tour that the Aussies don't want!, all that's in it for them is to try and flog it to the Aus public and to get ISC to manufacter a GB shirt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users