Ben Jones Bishop

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

I don't want to be the Cassandra in amongst all this, but five quid says he's off to the dark side.

I reckon that there's an arrangement with the club(s) to keep schtum to prevent any ill will less than halfway through the SL season.

#22 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

If he was off to the dark side then wouldn't it be for this up coming seasons?
The Union club would maybe pay a small fee for an early release.

I reckon he'll go to Wire. They need quality young players and BJB is quality.

#23 rossco123

rossco123
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

He's coming to north wales crusaders, he's. Currently having welsh lessons

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Confirmed as a Salford player for 2015.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#25 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Good piece of business by Salford, that.  If they keep this up then they could have a seriously pacey backline (but obviously they'd have to get rid of Meli first!). 

#26 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

Confirmed as a Salford player for 2015.

Doesnt want to play full back then?

Posted Image

#27 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

Good piece of business by Salford, that.  If they keep this up then they could have a seriously pacey backline (but obviously they'd have to get rid of Meli first!). 

Meli's a try machine. I think he's on something like 10 so far this season, having run a total of 20 yards in scoring them. He's only on a one year deal though, so he'll be off at the end of the season anyway.

One of our major problems this season has been the glacial pace of our backs. The signings of Locke and now BJB go some way towards fixing that.

#28 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Meli's a try machine. I think he's on something like 10 so far this season, having run a total of 20 yards in scoring them. He's only on a one year deal though, so he'll be off at the end of the season anyway.

One of our major problems this season has been the glacial pace of our backs. The signings of Locke and now BJB go some way towards fixing that.

Absolutely.  Probably need to replace at least Gleeson as well for the same reason?  Who is your other centre?  I can't think.

Meli is a try machine from 20m out but also a bit of a turnstile in defence, especially when a ball is involved.

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Locke and now BJB is a statement of intent for Salford's ambition. I wonder who else is on the way...?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Locke and now BJB is a statement of intent for Salford's ambition. I wonder who else is on the way...?

I find it all quite intriguing!  Gotta say, Dr K is great entertainment, and clearly serious about building a good team at Salford.

#31 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

I don't want to be the Cassandra in amongst all this, but five quid says he's off to the dark side.

I retract that statement and apologise unequivocally.

#32 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Absolutely.  Probably need to replace at least Gleeson as well for the same reason?  Who is your other centre?  I can't think.

Meli is a try machine from 20m out but also a bit of a turnstile in defence, especially when a ball is involved.

I think Gleeson is also in his last year and I suspect won't get an extension. Sadly, the years are catching up with him and he's lost what little pace he had. The other centre is Junior S'au. Also a bit on the slow side, but a real bulldozer of a player who I think will establish himself as a crowd favourite when he has quicker players around him.

I don't think we've had a 20 yarder from Francis Meli yet. 2 yards is his average, maybe the odd 3 yard thriller thrown in. His biggest problem defensively is under the high ball. It's like his feet have long taproots burrowing their way into the earth which prevent him from jumping.

#33 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

I retract that statement and apologise unequivocally.

Not necessarily. I'd like to think we are the dark side.

#34 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

A goalkicker, surely. One of the most questionable of our previous coach's recruitment decisions was to leave us without a recognised goalkicker.

#35 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

A goalkicker, surely. One of the most questionable of our previous coach's recruitment decisions was to leave us without a recognised goalkicker.

Errrr.......................Sneyd for 2015

#36 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Errrr.......................Sneyd for 2015

We'll have to wait and see on that one. Marwan has said Tim Smith is still an important part of the club's long term plans, so where would Sneyd play? I hope he does come back, but it wouldn't surprise me to see his move to Cas become permanent. Which would be a shame.

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Doesnt want to play full back then?

That appears to be the case.Good luck to him.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#38 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

We'll have to wait and see on that one. Marwan has said Tim Smith is still an important part of the club's long term plans, so where would Sneyd play? I hope he does come back, but it wouldn't surprise me to see his move to Cas become permanent. Which would be a shame.

Couple of quotes from Dr K's twitter feed about Sneyd below. Sounds like he will be back although you never know.

Marc is a Salford player . Full stop

If I get my way, for ever. He should have never been allowed to leave. I would pay a fee to get him back now

#39 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

I think Gleeson is also in his last year and I suspect won't get an extension. Sadly, the years are catching up with him and he's lost what little pace he had. The other centre is Junior S'au. Also a bit on the slow side, but a real bulldozer of a player who I think will establish himself as a crowd favourite when he has quicker players around him.

Of course.  S'au.  On the few times I've seen him play he looks pretty good.  I didn't realise he was slow.  Somehow he looks like he should be quick!

I don't think we've had a 20 yarder from Francis Meli yet. 2 yards is his average, maybe the odd 3 yard thriller thrown in. His biggest problem defensively is under the high ball. It's like his feet have long taproots burrowing their way into the earth which prevent him from jumping.

Being a Saints fan I know all about Meli's aversion to catching a ball.  It need not be in the air either.  He was always just as averse to dealing with a bouncing one or a dribbling one or any one coming at him at all really.  That's why Kevin Sinfield used to love kicking to him in every Grand Final we featured!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users