Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

This Weeks Results - 10th & 11th May

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Put your teams results, views, reports etc here as others interested in amateur rugby like to read them.

I see that in London Premiership Eastern Rhinos v Staines Titans has been postponed.  Hope there is a 'proper' reason and the new boys aren't finding the step up too hard already.

#2 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

East Premier League:

North Herts 58 - 24 Kings Lynn
St Ives 82 - 12 Southend
Milton Keynes 24 - 50 Bedford

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#3 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

London Div 1
Beckenham v Esher PP
SWL Chargers A 44 - 0 Elmbridge

London Premier
Rhinos v Staines PP
SWL Chargers 40 - 4 Hemel A
Skolars A 34 - 8 St Albans

South East Premier
Weald 58 - 30 Sussex
Portsmouth 38 - 12 Southampton
Medway v Guildford PP

London & South East Entry League
Medway 38 v 30 Beckenham
West Warriors 58 v 6 Newham

Southern Ladies League
SWL Chargers Ladies 12 - 6 Sussex Merlin's Ladies

Edited by London Drifter, 10 May 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#4 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Mids Prem

Telford 16 Leamington 20

Northampton 68 NEW Ravens 14

Chargers 8 Leicester A 26

Birmimgham 44 Outlaws A 28

Derby City 32 Cov Dragons 22

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#5 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Two weeks in a row without opposition is quite worrying.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#6 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

Jasper unfortunately you have started a thread that does not make good reading. If you look at all the other websites through out the country I would say less than 20 games out side the NCL, Yorkshire Mens, and NW counties where 9 games are down as postponed. Next week Magic with very few games then the bank holiday weekend, you have bbfaz's team not appearing to be able to get a game and the season has only just started. Peterlee had a fixture today and according to the website their next game is 7th June, after tomorrow our 16s will have played their 5th game since 3rd March then their next game is June.
It is not in the RFL's interest to let the open age game disintegrate so what are they doing about the decline?

#7 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

On looking i would say there were over 30 games played outside the leagues you mentioned.
Also from the North East website peterlee have fixtures every week.

#8 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

Sorry IO I may have looked at the websites before they were fully updated.
Concerning Peterlee it was their NCL team I was talking about and can only go by the NCL website, no game next week because of magic, the week after no game, then the cup, they have no game till 7th June.
Looking at their website their 15s have merged with their 16s due to lack of teams to play against our 16s playing 5 games in 3 months also in the YJ and Hull junior leagues teams have folded with no replacements if you are happy with this lets carry on.
You say 30 fixtures yesterday outside of the heartlands well after 30+ years of expansion not a great return especially when 9 fixtures in the NWC league were postponed some of these NCL club A teams and other fixtures in the YML not taking place, some NCL clubs have travelled with less than 17 players and 2 have pulled out of the league already, this is the flagship competition in the amateur game.
Winter was on a steady decline we all accept that, the great messiah was summer why are we not getting players flocking to the game and clubs sprouting up all over don't tell me it takes time as the expansion areas in the main have only ever played summer, I think we were told "you will have that many players you will not know what to do with them"
David Gent said there will be casualties but I don't even think he thought more off than on, except for the select band of clubs it all appears to not be working. My son played touch, school, college, u18s and A team all in a calendar year in terms of participation is that 1 tick in the box or 5, we appear to be using the same players all year round as he will now be playing in the YM entry league where every player in the team has played either under 18s or A team rugby in the winter.
The RFL are tinkering with the 6-7-8 part of the mini mod an area according to their own review that has the greatest amount of teams when all added together and the best retention rate, to me it is the teenage years that needs to be looked at, I suppose we could introduce small sided games and tag rugby for these age groups at least the lads may start enjoying the game.
My boss used to say silence is acceptance so have the RFL accepted this is as good as it gets or as my original question was
" It is not in the RFL's interest to let the OA game disintegrate so what are they doing about the steady decline in OA rugby??

Edited by Defender1, 11 May 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#9 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Our U15s squad has 25 players and now has a waiting list. The U16s start next week and we will promote some of the bigger/better U15s so that we can give everyone a decent game at 15s.

Our Open Age squad now has 19 registered players despite losing a few over the winter who didn't want to commit properly to the club and the team. I've not run a "traditional area" club but I can tell you that outside the heartlands it's tough full stop - and I think that only summer works for us. Our U15s are playing Yorkshire League, by the way.

#10 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

No-one is throwing criticism at any volunteer or club, in some areas and some clubs summer is the only option I am not saying winter is the option especially without changes, I ask what is best for the game?

Tim2 you say you only have 19 players it will be a struggle to field a team if you get injuries and the holiday season kicks in

All I would like an answer to is

" It is not in the RFL's interest to let the OA game disintegrate so what are they doing about the steady decline in OA rugby??

Edited by Defender1, 11 May 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#11 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

On looking i would say there were over 30 games played outside the leagues you mentioned.
Also from the North East website peterlee have fixtures every week.

Take the blinkers off !!!!

#12 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Our U15s squad has 25 players and now has a waiting list. The U16s start next week and we will promote some of the bigger/better U15s so that we can give everyone a decent game at 15s.

Our Open Age squad now has 19 registered players despite losing a few over the winter who didn't want to commit properly to the club and the team. I've not run a "traditional area" club but I can tell you that outside the heartlands it's tough full stop - and I think that only summer works for us. Our U15s are playing Yorkshire League, by the way.

The whole idea of the "Four Seasons Debate " was to find a fit that suits best for each area / region .

That makes sense  and most of us buy into that .

But the facts are summer rugby does not work in some areas so lets have a full unbiased review and at least be open and transparent, some areas are being severely  damaged and the integrity of the competition is being compromised . 

The question is " Rugby League Cares " or does it ?

#13 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Take the blinkers off !!!!

My apologies for pointing out a mistake, from now on I shall not correct any without permission!

#14 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

No-one is throwing criticism at any volunteer or club, in some areas and some clubs summer is the only option I am not saying winter is the option especially without changes, I ask what is best for the game?

Tim2 you say you only have 19 players it will be a struggle to field a team if you get injuries and the holiday season kicks in

All I would like an answer to is

19 after only having 6 from last year - several to come back from University too and still recruiting. We didn't blob on a fixture last year and I hope that wiull be the case this season as well.

I agree with your view about the 4 seasons thing - for me it's not a slam dunk that summer is the full answer for all ages and regions.

#15 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

Where does this 30 years of investment come from?

#16 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Investment is not mentioned, 30+ years of trying to expand the game out of the heartlands and only 30 fixtures nationwide in the height of the season in my view is not good, especially when there were call offs in the NWC and YML, if you are happy with this so be it.

As I keep saying

Why cannot anybody let me know what if any initiatives the RFL are implementing to stop the decline in OA this is not directed at any individual club, volunteer, or league and also includes the heartlands as it is not all sweetness and light there either

Edited by Defender1, 11 May 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#17 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

My apologies for pointing out a mistake, from now on I shall not correct any without permission!

Glad you know your place :onthequiet:

#18 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

I can only go by the official RFL websites and am talking open age teams, these are the games that there are results for I am sure others took place, but as I say 9 called off in the NWC and others in the YML not a great picture

London Mens. 5 games
South East 2 games
South West. 1 game
Midlands 7 games
Wales 0 games
Scotland. 2 games
East RL. 3 games
North East. 2 games
Total. 22 games

If we say each team has 20 players, thats 880 open age players playing Rugby League outside of Cumbria, Yorkshire and Lancashire areas, if the RFL are happy with this then so be it

#19 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Add Conference League South but even so that takes it to 25 games

#20 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

I counted in Cumbria also as the original message only said 20 games outside NCL, YML, & NWML but if people want to move the goalposts that is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users