That is a blow!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

At least a bonus point but our 6-10 loss, especially with all below us bar Swinton winning, makes things even tighter.  Now 11th and only 7 points separating 6th and 13th.  Hopefully, we can bounce back against Halifax who lost at home against Crusaders!   No doubt the conditions were a factor (for both sides) in the closeness and we knew that Worky wouldn't give much away given their bonus point record, but how did we play generally?

#2 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

Not a good day at the office. Town deserved their win. They made fewer mistakes than us, tackled well and had a better kicking game. Conditions didn't suit an open game but Mr Bloem's disregarded of offside at the play the ball helped neither side. He kept trying to tell players to get back but nobody seemed to take any notice of him.

#3 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

Yeah no real complaints from me, ' Town showed the advantage of having played at this level for longer than we have this afternoon. We had a real old fashioned " arm wrestle " in the first half. I can't remember the last time we came in at 0-0 at half time. ' Town had started like a house on fire and penned us in our 25 for four sets of six at the off and it took us a while to get a foothold in the game.
The first half was played out in a similar style, nip and tuck, we defended like Trojan's but we struggled to make progress with the ball in hand against a well organised defence and conditions that seemed to favour 'Town. They managed a goal line drop out that travelled 75 yards to go out on our 25. That's something I've never seen before !

At half time I thought we would have the upper hand with the conditions in our favour but the rain stopped and things seem to calm down weather wise. We started the second half in our usual lackadaisical style and before you could blink our opponents had found a large gap on the right hand side of our line twice in succession and we were 10-0 down. We battled gamely after that to get back in the game but dumb rugby became the order or the day. Twice we blew scrums on the Workie line on the first tackle ! Unforgiveable. Even so we batted on and managed to score a six pointer near the end when the ''Town fullback got caught out by a good bomb under the sticks. Too little too late though.

Plus points - we got the bonus point our play deserved. Our defence in the first half was awesome. A year ago we would have been losing 24-0 at half time, this season we can defend our own line.

Minus point's- no plan B, we got drawn into a forward battle, up the middle stuff. Not our game. You can blame the weather to a certain extent but we need to get smarter in possession. To be blunt we need more from our creative players.

My MOM- Warren Thompson, he ran his guts out all the game.

As for Jamie Bloem if ever you needed proof that substance abuse damages your brain cells we had it today. The guy can't even count up to six. When the crowd at a Rugby League game starts calling out the tackle count on your behalf you know you've got a problem.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 11 May 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#4 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

I agree with Tyrone we are not creative enough at 6 and 7. Most of our opponents to date have had players in those postions with pace and craft. A basic pass at this level is not good enough. We need to be running the line and bringing the forwards onto the ball at pace to get over the gain line. Workington had a very flat pass system that took them foward at every play the ball.

All in all it we were good in defence but lacked imagination or go forward in attack.

We are going in the right direction though and this was a little hickup. 

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#5 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Halifax have one win more than us, and Batley - last season's grand finalists - are in the drop zone. There's nothing in this division. It was always going to be a challenge and it's a challenge we've risen too pretty well. Worky showed that liitle bit extra nous that comes from having had a year in the Championship. We're giving it way more of a go than pretty much everyone expected us to. The expectation at Halifax is far greater than that on us and they got rolled by Crusaders last week - and they have only one more win than us and they have Super League ambitions. You can hear their squeaky sphincters from here. In comparison, we're having a decent season - the margins are so slim.

Ultimately, you win a few, you lose a few, you crash a few. And over the years I've seen supposedly 'better' Hornets sides rolled over by far worse Workington sides. Let's get back on the bike and capitalise on Halifax's major wobble.

Edited by Hornetto, 13 May 2014 - 08:53 AM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#6 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Good luck guys for the rest of the season. One thing no one can say is that your bad losers. Everyone else who we've beat since we got promoted 18months ago have always had an excuse and we usually get the old 'town were the better of 2 bad teams on the day'. But at least you guys have been fair in your assessment. I think there's a good chance well both be in championship 1 next year but you just never know if we both continue to defend and show heart like on Sunday. All the best.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#7 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

One thing no one can say is that your bad losers...

Some might say we've had plenty of practice down the years  ;)

See you at yours later in the year - maybe we can nick one back.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#8 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Yes, we are doing well, it's relatively early days and we are going mostly in the right direction (onwards and higher had we managed to beat Worky!).  Given the closeness of this league and the stakes on offer, it will (in my opinion) be those teams who better address weaknesses that reap the rewards.  Not the knee-jerk reactions affecting some teams at the moment.  Hopefully, the coach and team will continue to work on those areas that could make the difference.

Having seen only the odd match video, I have to agree with Tyrone - "To be blunt we need more from our creative players" - and more pace/better run lines from deeper positions - we seem too static and lateral at times.  Thankfully, our defence has improved immeasurably, so it is very frustrating, to say the least, to see our post half-time, short-lived but damaging weakness, returning to the mix.  Dual registration - well!  The biggest problem is integrating 'guest players' at short notice into the set-up, either because of injuries (on Sunday?) or experiment and then returning to regulars the next game.  We have to get the right balance - regularly.

It promises to be a very warm weekend in contrast to last week, so let's give Halifax a very warm welcome and return to winning ways.  With six away games to follow before Fev at home, it ain't going to get any easier.  We can beat the odds.

#9 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

I asked some of the players why we didn't change the game plan for the second half, the reply "we didn't stick to the game plan in the first half"

I think that initial onslaught in the first 15 mins threw our game plan out the window and the team just could not get back into it. It was more of the same at the beginning of the second half, so we continued "up the middle" against a stronger pack. I agree with others, our 6 and 7 are not being creative enough at the moment, but, I also feel as the season goes on and the pitches dry out and become firmer we will see more creativity from the backs.

Well here's hoping.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users