Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

GOING BACKWARDS

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Barlby Knight 65

Barlby Knight 65
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

I know I'll proberbly get shot down for this but we seem to have gone backwards since Swinton away , we had a game plan that was working now all of a sudden we seem to have no ideas or direction ! I appreciate Hemel came to spoil today & the ref was no better than useless but at times we were devoid of ideas , it was just one man rugby , we'd also seem very light in the forwards ! If Ian Morrison is only going to play once every blue moon & for 10 / 15 mins can we really afford to keep him , I know he's exciting when he comes on the field but it's the getting him on the field that worries me ! Why tinker with something that was working ! On a positive James Salonstall is a real quality addition , the lad has genuine class !!!!!!

#2 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'll not shoot you down, Nige but I dont completely agree.

Had ball gone to hand on those final passes we would have skated home and, you're right, we are missing Mozza and Austin but Hemel came to spoil, slow the game down and they were allowed to get away with it ( and this is two weeks running ) by inept officialdom.

We saw letter of the law in extremis today and, to me, the RFL need to sort it and quickly - fans will not continue to pay money to watch a game that crawls along and is littered with stoppages and pedantic penalties, RL should be fast and exciting..

That was a big negative today - another was that at least three of our pivotal players had off days today ( one by his own admission after the game (honest lad !) and one because I nearly saw more ball than he did !

The plus points were that we won despite only turning it on for ten minutes out of the eighty, Fordy was back and looked sharp, Pat Smith was back to his best and, in James Saltonstall, as you say, we have made a cracking acquisition.

GT has a hard week ahead because we need to be right for next week against a big side who will plough it up the middle of a pitch that, in all likelihood, will be heavy to say the least.

#3 trig

trig
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Totally agree with you barlby knight,
Spoke to Fordy after game says hoping to have Morrison and Bell back next week.
Hopefully will bring bit of pace and experience back into team.

#4 Barlby Knight 65

Barlby Knight 65
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

Cheers for the reply Andy , informed as always , your right Whitebank will be like a quagmire , just think we've gone away from a system that was working , Pat Smith makes a big difference when he comes on , adds a bit of craftiness , hope Fordys right Trig , were seriously missing some go forward at the min

Edited by Barlby Knight 65, 11 May 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#5 knightrider

knightrider
  • Coach
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

Couldn't agree more Nidge.The last few games have been awful to watch,compared to the Hunslet,Whitehaven,South Wales games.Agree with you aswell Andy.Something needs to be done and quick about the officials and there interpretation of the rules.The holding down,off sides,high tackles are just getting beyond a joke.As soon as our guys got up from a tackle they were moving up.No attempt to wait until the ball touches the floor.Same at scrums.As soon as the ball went into the scrum they were moving up.No attempt to wait until the ball comes out the back of the scrum.So they were already 5 yards up on our guys before we had played the ball.Needs looking at big time.The last 4 games have been a total farce imo.Last week and this week I was ready for home at half time.Fed up with what I am watching at the mo.Thats more the officials that the team.Saying that the forwards are simply not doing the biz for me.Jack Lee,Pat Smith both look good when they are on the pitch.The props in particular,just are not making decent yards.Needs sorting for next week.Playing like we are,Oldham and Hunslet will be relishing playing us.

Posted Image

#6 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

True, Dave. Back to the old five yards - not many points in a game and only for the purist !

Going back to the 8-3's, 7-6's and 4-0's from the 70's and 80's.

#7 Barlby Knight 65

Barlby Knight 65
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

Jesus that would spell the end of the game !!!!

#8 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Got to agree with all of that - massive improvement needed to get 6 points in the next 2 weeks, to me we are not direct enough & go wide just for the sake of it & are making a simple game look very difficult at the moment

Might need to change the half backs because Pat Smith & Jack Lee need to be on the pitch at the same time & agree we need some size back up front - Nathan Harper would be in next week for me

#9 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Is there any ruling about that idiot with the afro that was pretty much a 14th man for Hemel!? He was actually in the scrum at one point walking through our players, absolutely ridiculous, he must have been on the pitch for a total of 35 minutes throughout the whole match.

It's time to park the camels.

#10 knightrider

knightrider
  • Coach
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

Got to agree with all of that - massive improvement needed to get 6 points in the next 2 weeks, to me we are not direct enough & go wide just for the sake of it & are making a simple game look very difficult at the moment

Might need to change the half backs because Pat Smith & Jack Lee need to be on the pitch at the same time & agree we need some size back up front - Nathan Harper would be in next week for me

Well,i just didn't understand some of the things I saw on sunday.Twice we kicked on 3rd tackle.We even passed the ball out wide and went into touch on the 2nd tackle at one point.Yes,we bombed a few chances,on the whole though,just not good enough.Maybe just about good enough to beat Hemel,London etc,not the Oldhams and Hunslets of this world.

I would give Harry Carter a run on sunday,freeing up Pat Smith to play in the halves.Either Ben or Elvis to make way,neither of which are creating a great deal at the moment.Elvis has  to be the most frustrating player I have ever seen.With his pace he could create havoc running at big forwards.His support play has been very hit and miss.We will see what Mr.Thornton comes up with.Agree with you Shades,massive improvements needed if we are to get anything out of the next two games.

Posted Image

#11 Barlby Knight 65

Barlby Knight 65
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

Harry has a broken hand at min Dave , bout 2 wks away from fitness

#12 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

Is there any ruling about that idiot with the afro that was pretty much a 14th man for Hemel!? He was actually in the scrum at one point walking through our players, absolutely ridiculous, he must have been on the pitch for a total of 35 minutes throughout the whole match.

That was Jermaine Coleman, the Hemel assistant coach, brother of their half back Jy Mel. He retired from playing at the end of last season and, at one time, I think, played for York Wasps and, yes, there should be a ruling. The ref should have warned him but as Alan Hanson once said 'you cant ref anything with kids'.... or something like that ! ;)

#13 knightrider

knightrider
  • Coach
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Harry has a broken hand at min Dave , bout 2 wks away from fitness

Didn't know that Nidge,missed it somewhere along the line.No Brining aswell.Maybe use Elvis as replacement hooker,done it before with shall we say varying degrees of success.Just think like Shades that we need Pat Smith and Jack Lee out there at the same time.

Posted Image

#14 cloughdog87

cloughdog87
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

thanks York thanks for not too much abuse on sunday lol

#15 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

thanks York thanks for not too much abuse on sunday lol

I thought there was a decent amount..

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

That was Jermaine Coleman, the Hemel assistant coach, brother of their half back Jy Mel. He retired from playing at the end of last season and, at one time, I think, played for York Wasps and, yes, there should be a ruling. The ref should have warned him but as Alan Hanson once said 'you cant ref anything with kids'.... or something like that ! ;)

He came to the Knights on loan in 2003. Think he played 2 games before getting injured. One was at Featherstone.

:)

Posted Image

#17 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

He came to the Knights on loan in 2003. Think he played 2 games before getting injured. One was at Featherstone.

:)

Don't care what his name is, just get off the bluddy pitch!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users