Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Popularity of the four football codes in Australia

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

The Guardian website has a comprehensive table of the latest Sats on the popularity of the codes.

The RU Grand Final figures do not make for comfortable reading for the Grand Union.

The participation figures for the round ball were a surprise to me,but then its the easiest game to pick up.

The TV viewing figures  surely tell you that when it comes to ENTERTAINMENT the Aussie public Know where to turn their remote control to.

Rugby League of course.

#2 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Having recently returned from a 3 week visit to Australia taking in 3 NRL games, my experience would say that the 2 main sports that all the tv sports reports were about were NRL and Aussie Rules
Soccer and union were never reported more or as headline stories over the other 2

#3 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:32 AM

The Guardian website has a comprehensive table of the latest Sats on the popularity of the codes.

The RU Grand Final figures do not make for comfortable reading for the Grand Union.

The participation figures for the round ball were a surprise to me,but then its the easiest game to pick up.

The TV viewing figures  surely tell you that when it comes to ENTERTAINMENT the Aussie public Know where to turn their remote control to.

Rugby League of course.

Soccer has always had the highest participation figures of the 4 winter sports. Pretty much always. Participation drops off significantly after juniors though.

There's another article in the paper today about the Roar and the Reds (Brisbane's soccer and rugby union teams). The Roar have won 3 out of the last 4 premierships but have a crowd average of about 15K. The Reds won a title in 2011, made the finals in 2012 but have been ###### since. They have a current average of 27K and have had a higher average than the Broncos for the last 2 years (IIRC). 

As for popularity. The NRL rules the TV and Aussie Rules smashes everything when it comes to crowds. This isn't a surprise as the NRL is tailor-made for TV and Aussie Rules is a much better game to watch live. 

#4 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

All these codes are available in the UK yet oddly RL is not topping the list.

Is this because the UK public is more choosy and would prefer to pay and go and watch soccer or RU, or is the standard of RL in the UK so poor that people are on the whole not interested?

Could you tell me how many other countries RL has conquered to come out top with the viewing figures?

With the dominance of Aussie Rules and League I think the Australian public's greater understanding of all things related to the oval ball has something to do with their preference for watching RL on TV..

Their appreciation of the skills on display is greater having grown up with the oval ball in some capacity.

Over here football is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of popularity.

There will be kids growing up in Newcastle or Birmingham for example, who have never had an oval ball in their toy box. Some may never have thrown or kicked a rugby ball in their lives.

Consequently a lot of people here cannot appreciate the difference in the ball handing skills between the average Union and League player ( interestingly Stuart Lancaster who is well versed with these skills can see the difference )

In short,being brought up on Aussie Rules and Sate of Origin you cannot pull the wool over the eyes of the Aussie public they know too much.

On the other hand over here with enough hype . . . . . . . . .!

Edited by Trojan horse, 12 May 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#5 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

There will be kids growing up in Newcastle or Birmingham for example, who have never had an oval ball in their toy box. Some may never have thrown or kicked a rugby ball in their lives.

I knew these areas were deprived but surely the government or EU should do something for these poor unfortunate souls.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#6 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Given that Australian RU has a huge debt crisis as well they could be in a real mess if they don't excel in the upcoming RUWC.

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

Please read the title of the thread.  It's about popularity in AUSTRALIA.  As you clearly can't keep on topic when discussing anywhere else then please keep on the narrow topic of the relative popularity of Australian codes of football.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

link to the article?

#9 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Who were the teams playing in this match, out of interest?

#10 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

I thought the confirmation of all touch rugby as coming under RL in Australia had bumped up the numbers? I did hear from someone that UK Premier League games can rate higher than A-League soccer but don't know if that is true?

Some of the stories coming out on the state of RU in Australia are pretty alarming and will have a massive impact on this in future.

#11 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:28 AM

I did hear from someone that UK Premier League games can rate higher than A-League soccer but don't know if that is true?

I've heard that as well. 

#12 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

link to the article?

Probably this one. Not sure how it is an "comprehensive" article on the popularity of the four codes.

http://www.theguardi...TCMP=mic_233050

#13 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Are they using stats that include SA and NZ teams in the super rugby?.. surely that doesn't fall into the category of "Australia's football codes".. a proper indication would be an average crowd based on games involving Australian teams. Same for the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#14 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Are they using stats that include SA and NZ teams in the super rugby?.. surely that doesn't fall into the category of "Australia's football codes".. a proper indication would be an average crowd based on games involving Australian teams. Same for the NRL.

There is a footnote to the super rugby average attendance figure stating it only includes Australian teams.

#15 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Union is buggered in Australia. The ARU has cut contracts and people forced to take pay cuts. They have admitted they cant match the NRL clubs anymore. The Wannabies are not a match for NZ and its years since they won the Bledisloe Cup. They need a strong performance in the WC to help keep sponsors and fans happy. The Super Rugby Franchises are all in a mess. NSW Waratahs are losing millions of dollars and are close to going out of business according to their CEO at the start of the year. The Force and Rebels are not much better. A number of top Aussies have left to play in Europe.  Its top schoolboys are getting picked up by League clubs and its Private Schools which have been where its top players in the past have come from are dropping Union for Soccer. Union is fighting for its Professional life in Australia and the amateur scene is also not as strong as it used to be.

Despite all the problems in AFL and the NRL both are very strong and have money in the bank. A League as well is going well and gets decent crowds and has money and power that will increase in the future. Union looks like its been left behind and is on a life support machine compared to the other 3. 

#16 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

They have admitted they cant match the NRL clubs anymore

They never have been able to match NRL clubs. SR wages a significantly lower than NRL ones. The only guys who earn good money also have ARU contracts.

A number of top Aussies have left to play in Europe.

And this is different to how the situation was 10 years ago how?

Its top schoolboys are getting picked up by League clubs

This has always happened. Always.

RU isn't going anywhere in Australia. Sorry about that.

#17 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

A few points should be borne in mind with regard to Aussie Rules attendances. Games tend to be played in bigger venues such as the Melbourne Cricket Ground. MCG members are entitled to attend virtually all cricket and Aussie Rules games played at the venue. The MCG is centrally located within the city and has excellent rail and metro connections that whisk you to Federation Square in minutes. The majority of the NRL clubs are concentrated within the outer suburbs of the Sydney Metropolitan area. Sydney's metro is great for getting you to the main tourist areas but hopeless for getting you to the main sporting venues. Suburbs like Parramatta and Manly are a 30 minute ferry ride from the central harbour area. Even Allianz Stadium (Sydney Football Stadium) the venue closest to the city centre, requires a train and bus ride to reach the stadium. Also public transport fares in Sydney rate as amongst the highest in the world, thus NRL fans have to make more effort to attend games than their Aussie Rules counterparts.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#18 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:23 AM

A few points should be borne in mind with regard to Aussie Rules attendances. Games tend to be played in bigger venues such as the Melbourne Cricket Ground. MCG members are entitled to attend virtually all cricket and Aussie Rules games played at the venue. The MCG is centrally located within the city and has excellent rail and metro connections that whisk you to Federation Square in minutes. The majority of the NRL clubs are concentrated within the outer suburbs of the Sydney Metropolitan area. Sydney's metro is great for getting you to the main tourist areas but hopeless for getting you to the main sporting venues. Suburbs like Parramatta and Manly are a 30 minute ferry ride from the central harbour area. Even Allianz Stadium (Sydney Football Stadium) the venue closest to the city centre, requires a train and bus ride to reach the stadium. Also public transport fares in Sydney rate as amongst the highest in the world, thus NRL fans have to make more effort to attend games than their Aussie Rules counterparts.

Not all games are played at the MCG...

But you are somewhat correct. The stadiums in Melbourne are centrally located. Tickets are also cheap. There used to be a deal that after 3/4 time, entry was free. When I lived in Melbourne I often had a few beers with mates and then wandered in to watch the last 1/4 of a game. 

Plus Aussie Rules is probably more ingrained in society in AFL states than rugby league is elsewhere. It can be a real pain when you visit Melbourne and you want to read articles on a sport other than Aussie Rules.

#19 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Having just come back from Oz - I can't agree.
The lowest single train fare is $3.70 - about £2.00
Its £4.00 lowest fare on the London tube
Day travel ticket is more expensive than London, but covers the ferries so still good value at about £13 for all forms of transport.
The logistics of the Sydney trains to me is unique and makes for good travel connections - to have every train come through Central station, loop around the main (tourist) areas, then back through Central makes it so easy.
Only the airport train I would describe as expensive.

Olympic Park has direct trains from the centre, and often, with more on match days. Loads of extra trains on the way back. It was easy.
Granted Manly is out of the way, but there are direct buses from the centre of Sydney. We got one back from Manly - took 20 to 25 mins. Easier than getting to Harlequins or Barnet from centre of London.
Free trains to/from the games as well this season.

#20 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Having just come back from Oz - I can't agree.
The lowest single train fare is $3.70 - about £2.00
Its £4.00 lowest fare on the London tube
Day travel ticket is more expensive than London, but covers the ferries so still good value at about £13 for all forms of transport.
The logistics of the Sydney trains to me is unique and makes for good travel connections - to have every train come through Central station, loop around the main (tourist) areas, then back through Central makes it so easy.
Only the airport train I would describe as expensive.

Olympic Park has direct trains from the centre, and often, with more on match days. Loads of extra trains on the way back. It was easy.
Granted Manly is out of the way, but there are direct buses from the centre of Sydney. We got one back from Manly - took 20 to 25 mins. Easier than getting to Harlequins or Barnet from centre of London.
Free trains to/from the games as well this season.

Been to Sydney and Melbourne a few times and think that Melbourne is way better for getting to its sporting base. Easy to walk in 10 minutes to the MCG from the centre plus I found the public transport better to use and understand in Melbourne than Sydney. Sydney I think is good to get around the Centre, but from the suburbs its a nightmare and time consuming. The buses I used to commute between Manly (where we was staying with friends)) and the City took forever and very crowded  and the same when I was commuting between the City and Bondi.(Again stayed with friends). The people I know in Sydney are not happy with the transport system and how it functions and would stay local rather than try and fight across the city to go and do something 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users