Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Reg Gasnier

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

Has passed away here in Australia a day before his 75th birthday. I recall going to the first test of the 1967 series at Leeds when he captained Australia to a narrow loss to Great Britain,though they won the series 2-1,winning in the snow at Swinton. I went along with my good mate Philip Halstead (does anybody know how I can get in touch with him?),that was the game when Hornets Malcolm Price played in the centres. Gasnier actually broke his leg in that stormy match,but recovered to play again at the end of the tour in France. No doubt he`ll get a good send off in his home city of Sydney.

#2 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

What a player! I saw him play twice in Test Matches at Station Rd (as well as on TV)  and he was the best centre that I have ever seen.

#3 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

And neither the BBC rugby league web site nor their national sports news on tv chooses to mention the passing of this great player!

An international in his 18/19th year I believe, a glittering career cut down by injury, a later life saddled with illness.

Did he play against us on the late fifties tour or any tour?

#4 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

I have an aussie team shirt signed by him.  A friend of mine lived next door to him and went to school with his on.  From all accounts he wasn't just an outstanding player but a real good bloke too.

RIP Reg.

#5 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

And neither the BBC rugby league web site nor their national sports news on tv chooses to mention the passing of this great player!

An international in his 18/19th year I believe, a glittering career cut down by injury, a later life saddled with illness.

Did he play against us on the late fifties tour or any tour?

Seem to remember the Aussie team playing at Hornets, Johnny Raper was there so was Reg, not to sure if he played or not.

Found this on you tube, Australia V GB, Station RD 1963 A couple of trys from RG

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ob8GGGy3G_A

Edited by ArthurDaley, 12 May 2014 - 07:24 PM.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#6 owfener

owfener
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

I remember waiting outside the Wellington to get the Aussie autographs in 1963, Can't remember the team against Hornets, though.

Reg Gasnier, The Prince of Centres, RIP. http://www.foxsports...6-1226913787821

Edited by owfener, 12 May 2014 - 07:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users