Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffield predictions

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 the shootist

the shootist
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

all this negativety about keegan hirst is uncalled for ive not missed a match this season and all ive seen him do is bust a gut for the team has no one seen his effort in defence ill get slated for this but for me hes been one of our best forwards ( and yes i have played the game and coached at a reasonable level with success before you say i know nowt about the game)

#42 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Forgive me but I thought this thread was --SHEFFIELD PREDICTIONS---I'll go for Dogs 16  Eagles 23.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#43 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

Batley 10 Sheffield 34

#44 bulldogforlife

bulldogforlife
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

What this team needs is for the fans to get behind them, and get off there backs!!! I don't like how we're playing at the moment,but the only way there going to start to play more open rugby is with confidence. And there not going to get that when they read all this about themselves!! And abuse at the games!! Lets all cheer them on this week and stop putting them down all the time, and maybe just maybe they might start to surprise us!!! As for score I will go for with the fans behind them dogs 18 Sheffield 22 but with the fans on there back dogs 6 Sheffield 46!!! So come on guys lets cheer them on, and hopefully we can all have a great day in the sun.. Players as well!

#45 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

What this team needs is for the fans to get behind them, and get off there backs!!! I don't like how we're playing at the moment,but the only way there going to start to play more open rugby is with confidence. And there not going to get that when they read all this about themselves!! And abuse at the games!! Lets all cheer them on this week and stop putting them down all the time, and maybe just maybe they might start to surprise us!!! As for score I will go for with the fans behind them dogs 18 Sheffield 22 but with the fans on there back dogs 6 Sheffield 46!!! So come on guys lets cheer them on, and hopefully we can all have a great day in the sun.. Players as well!

Well said sir, 100% behind the lads on Sunday, win, draw or lose.

#46 Rev Delboy

Rev Delboy
  • Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'm with the last two posts, stand with our boys whatever the outcome. Let them hear some positive voices on Sunday and who knows this might be the turning point of the whole season.

#47 beestondog

beestondog
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

Can somebody cheer em on for me please, I can't be there due to unforeseen circumstances.

#48 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

Fans are commenting on what they are seeing every week its up to the players to improve they must know the product served this season is poor. Too many players are underperforming or simply not good enough . The fans who still come are the hardcore 500 and believe me we want success. players need to improve cut out the mistakes and add flair to a basic game plan maybe then they may shock a team or two even Sheffield maybe even win in the sun . 

#49 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'm with the last two posts, stand with our boys whatever the outcome. Let them hear some positive voices on Sunday and who knows this might be the turning point of the whole season.

Welcome to the board Reverand lets hope the positivity brings a much needed win

#50 bulldogforlife

bulldogforlife
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

Everyone wants success!! Players as well. And I'm sure they would be the first to hold there hands up and say its not good! But it does come down to confidence. If it was as simple as to just say to yourself god I'm playing sh## but next week I'm not going to drop a ball, and going to score 2 try's then we would be top of the league!! Think of last year we got to grand final but half way through season when we were loosing to everyone, why?? Confidence! They got it back and didn't look back. If we can get 2 or 3 wins on the bounce I'm sure we will start to see a different team out there. But they need us the fans on there side to stand any chance of getting it..

#51 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

lets just hope we compete for 80 and hold a bit a structure,am sure or senior players will show the way forward and set the platform for a bit a flair and maybe even shock a few of with a win,then i woke up.. :rap:

Edited by silverback, 17 May 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#52 phildog

phildog
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Right, some deep insights amongst these contributions; DR has been a big let down for us on the whole, especially now. last season when Mullaley and Fairbank were playing regularly you could see that they wanted to be here, hence their responses in front of the fans when we beat both Leigh and Fev in play-offs, they were genuinely excited for us and seemed as though they belonged. This year, we've gone through more Dr's than our own players, for various reasons which are too bizarre to understand. Players who were DR'd to us have been pulled back and sent somewhere else, where's this 'entente cordial' between us and Giants disappeared to, it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread.Surely Giants aren't that badly off for players that they can't offer a couple each week, even getting first team players fit after injury or someone who is having a dip in form. When we lost all those players we all had our opinions about who we would and wouldn't miss and why, and how the new guys would fit in. Now we see that not many of those who left are actually getting picked week in week out by their new clubs, even allowing for injuries, some weren't getting in anyway, so whether it was just money, or they thought they were better than they actually were who knows. Right, to the actual topic in hand - I agree with most that the players don't actually leave the sheds with the attitude of not giving a damn, and knowing the stick they're going to return to. does the thought of that stick affect the way they perform, not trying anything too extraordinary in case of more failure. Well, try it, it can only improve things!! As far as Sheffield are concerned, how the hell do they support such a good side on even less support than us? Who's their money? They fill their team with these South Sea Islanders who are giants of men, how do they attract them, yet we can't? Yes, everybody in the game has given us credit over the past 5 seasons for the way we have battled and punched above our weight and thankfully and rightfully so. But credit don't win games, and despite Hirst turning up, who will add some steel to the defence I can't see it being enough of a fillip. Eagles by 20.

#53 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

A good thread this, some really good contributions, not sure you should be so hard on the lads.    I could say a few words about our performances this season that would not be too glowing but prefer to give our lads encouragement, new recruits take a bit of time to gel and you can see there is a lot of quality in our ranks.   With regards to DR, you are not the most attractive location for the apprentices, half their game time is an uphill struggle, they are used to a level playing field.   I have not got the figures to hand but would be surprised if you have bigger gates than us but we do have a great chairman who understands accountancy and Mark Aston is a giant in the Rugby League world so attracts trainees.   Hope its a good game today and if you win, it will have been because our lads will be giving their all.

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#54 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Right, some deep insights amongst these contributions; DR has been a big let down for us on the whole, especially now. last season when Mullaley and Fairbank were playing regularly you could see that they wanted to be here, hence their responses in front of the fans when we beat both Leigh and Fev in play-offs, they were genuinely excited for us and seemed as though they belonged. This year, we've gone through more Dr's than our own players, for various reasons which are too bizarre to understand. Players who were DR'd to us have been pulled back and sent somewhere else, where's this 'entente cordial' between us and Giants disappeared to, it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread.Surely Giants aren't that badly off for players that they can't offer a couple each week, even getting first team players fit after injury or someone who is having a dip in form. When we lost all those players we all had our opinions about who we would and wouldn't miss and why, and how the new guys would fit in. Now we see that not many of those who left are actually getting picked week in week out by their new clubs, even allowing for injuries, some weren't getting in anyway, so whether it was just money, or they thought they were better than they actually were who knows. Right, to the actual topic in hand - I agree with most that the players don't actually leave the sheds with the attitude of not giving a damn, and knowing the stick they're going to return to. does the thought of that stick affect the way they perform, not trying anything too extraordinary in case of more failure. Well, try it, it can only improve things!! As far as Sheffield are concerned, how the hell do they support such a good side on even less support than us? Who's their money? They fill their team with these South Sea Islanders who are giants of men, how do they attract them, yet we can't? Yes, everybody in the game has given us credit over the past 5 seasons for the way we have battled and punched above our weight and thankfully and rightfully so. But credit don't win games, and despite Hirst turning up, who will add some steel to the defence I can't see it being enough of a fillip. Eagles by 20.

As I understand it, the eagles have a "special relationship" with a local college, that allows them to circumnavigate visa restrictions, hence the steady supply of exciting south seas talent - and of course you don't need DR under those circumstances.

#55 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

But you still have to pay them!

:\
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#56 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

But you still have to pay them!

:\

mmmm| ! So you have. ;)

#57 Morleydog

Morleydog
  • Coach
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

As I understand it, the eagles have a "special relationship" with a local college, that allows them to circumnavigate visa restrictions, hence the steady supply of exciting south seas talent - and of course you don't need DR under those circumstances.

Some of these degree courses must go on for a while.

#58 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

There is no special link up with the college, we dont actually pay them that much, we have just been lucky to find a loyal bunch of lads especially given the double your money wages Leigh were offering in the close season. 

We have arguably the best sponsorship and corporate efforts in the league, and our crowds havent stooped below 600 for a league game, winning the Grand Final two years in a row also brings a bit of cash!

why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#59 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

There is no special link up with the college, we dont actually pay them that much, we have just been lucky to find a loyal bunch of lads especially given the double your money wages Leigh were offering in the close season. 

We have arguably the best sponsorship and corporate efforts in the league, and our crowds havent stooped below 600 for a league game, winning the Grand Final two years in a row also brings a bit of cash!

Not suggesting any impropriety brummie, but whenever we try to sign on south sea Islanders, there are visa issues - not something the eagles seem to have a problem with. I was led to believe this was because of an arrangement you had with the college in question, who would be able to get them here on student visas. I confess to a degree of jealousy here. ;)