Ref for Sunday.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

M Woodhead.A new one to me. Jamie Bloem is down at London Skolars.

#2 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

New one to me as well. At least a change from Jamie Bloem.

#3 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Let's hope he doesn't need an abacus like Mr Bloem!!!

His number of 7 tackle sets last week was disgraceful.

Surely it's not expecting to much for the officials to be able to count up to six??

#4 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Not a 100% but believe he is from the St Helens area.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#5 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

At least you lot ain't got Dave Merrick he is the worse of the lot :)

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

It seems as if certain games have been selected to give new referees game time. You have M Woodhead, Haven v Swinton have G Kendall and Fev v Town have A Sweet, who reffed the Haven v Donny game last Sunday and no-one had a good word for his performance.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

League Weekly Silver Whistle Appraisal for the above Ref's:

Mike Woodhead at Gateshead Vs Skolars Score: 75/100

Chris Kendall at York Vs Hemel Score: 55/100

A. Sweet at Haven Vs Doncaster Score: 25/100

Is there any hope for any of us if the Whistleblower is rubbish. 

Edited by The Baron Mk11, 15 May 2014 - 10:17 AM.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#8 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

I suppose its OK to criticise referees but what is the answer - presumably there is no long line of folks trying to get in on the act, all better than the current bunch.

Seems like we need to make it a more attractive proposition to become a referee with the intention of attracting more (and/or better) candidates.

Mr Sweet may well have been rubbish ( I wasn't at the game), but what was the alternative?

#9 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Former Hornets and Oldham winger Chris Campbell is now a ref.He was quite a flyer Chris, so he should be able to keep up with the game.

He reffed his first pro game Scorpions v Thunder a fortnight ago.Be nice if he reffed one of our games.

Perfect choice for a future "A627M El Classico" if there is one. 

#10 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

I'd like to know who the assessors were in the referee Sweet game.  To award a referee only 25/100 would suggest that it was not a totally independent set of adjudicators.  I have lost count of the times people have criticised a ref near me when they were obviously wrong in their reason for doing so.  Missing the count is one that a regular poster on here does as a matter of course, forward passes are another favourite, how in the name of almighty Pete they can tell a pass is forward from play near the ends when they are on halfway I don't know!

Stop worrying about referees or do the right thing and get onto your local referees society and have a go, I think most would realise their errors very quickly.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#11 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

I've got to disagree with you Andy. Just because a referee got a low mark doesn't necessarily mean that the adjudicators were not independent. I wasn't at the match so can not comment on Mr Sweet's performance. Referees can have bad days like everyone else. I would be worried if he was being given low marks all the time. I would also not expect every referee to be given a high mark irrespective of his performance.  A long time ago I achieved the mark of 25% in an Art exam. This  was a subjective mark and I couldn't argue with it as it wasn't my best work. I would suspect that the adjudicators had guide lines to help them come to their decision.

I'm a little too old to take up your suggestion re trying my hand at refereeing. However I do think that the referees that I've seen over the years cover the complete spectrum of competency. Most are ok and have good and bad days but a few are just  not up to the job and a few are excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users