Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Carcassonne view Super League 2

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

Apparently targetting a place inside next 5 years according to todays paper. After a disappointing season here have appointed a new manager - Laurent Garnier a Catalan who played for the Canaris early in his playing career. He has spent the last seven years in Brisbane coaching the Juniors at Wynnum-Manly. He will be assisted at Domec from September by Vincent Banet and Alex Couttet. Some story doing the rounds here of a new corporate investment so I think thats got some of the locals a bit excited. But ASC still have some clout and can get support out when needed. Ideal location and more than a decent stadium. With Catalans still the most celebrated of all French clubs.

Edited by audois, 14 May 2014 - 05:38 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

Interesting stuff.

Will it be finically viable to have 2 French clubs at this level? Will French TV be more interested in this to the point where they'd pay money? Hopefully they will and it acts as a springboard to developing a better European structure.

I cannot see relegation into the third tier of English RL being an option though. What would happen if they finished bottom?
Posted Image

#3 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Very good news Gordon. The coach sounds ideal and any new investment will be the icing on the cake. Excellent stadium with the new stand now up and running. Fingers crossed...

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

That's quite a surprise, but would've expected Avignon to be the next club to make the transition across the channel. One also wonders whether they have a large enough catchment area to sustain a professional team, unless they rebrand themselves as a club which represents the whole Aude region?

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 14 May 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:13 PM

That's quite a surprise, but would've expected Avignon to be the next club to make the transition across the channel. One also wonders whether they have a large enough catchment area to sustain a professional team, unless they rebrand themselves as a club which represents the whole Aude region?

Would they need to rebrand to be able to represent the Aude area? I think there's sometimes a risk of casting the net too wide with names and preventing a connection with locals.
Posted Image

#6 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Two tens or twelves with four French clubs would be great for the game, but they must bring a TV deal with them

Edited by sweaty craiq, 14 May 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#7 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

ASC are a bigger club than many in the current Championship. Would love to see them in.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

Two tens or twelves with four French clubs would be great for the game, but they must bring a TV deal with them

I reckon we are heading for three  leagues of 8 eventually. 

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

I can't see a part time French side being in the English division, it just isn't practical.

Toulouse pretty much failed when they came to England. Not because of the club itself but you cannot find enough quality part time players willing to travel from France to England once a fortnight. Championship or 'super league 2' players will more than likely have a job alongside playing. Travelling to and from England once a fortnight just doesn't work with the lifestyle you have. Not to mention the affect it has on your performances travelling that far.

If a French side wants to play in England they have to be full time. I was hoping for a 20 club SL in 2 10's all full time. Four French clubs 16 SL clubs. Have the current 13 SL clubs and 3 championship clubs and all full time. P & R between the league's and the French bring a TV deal with them. Licensing to apply to try get in the bottom 10 of SL.

The French will not succeed if they have to go part time. If they go full time straight into SL2 then it may work, but do they have the money to do that? Time will tell.

#10 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

totally agree toulouse were an abject failure in the championship 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#11 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Just out of interest, why would the French TV pay to show semi-pro RL in England but not the Elite 1? 

#12 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

I can't see a part time French side being in the English division, it just isn't practical.

Toulouse pretty much failed when they came to England. Not because of the club itself but you cannot find enough quality part time players willing to travel from France to England once a fortnight. Championship or 'super league 2' players will more than likely have a job alongside playing. Travelling to and from England once a fortnight just doesn't work with the lifestyle you have. Not to mention the affect it has on your performances travelling that far.

If a French side wants to play in England they have to be full time. I was hoping for a 20 club SL in 2 10's all full time. Four French clubs 16 SL clubs. Have the current 13 SL clubs and 3 championship clubs and all full time. P & R between the league's and the French bring a TV deal with them. Licensing to apply to try get in the bottom 10 of SL.

The French will not succeed if they have to go part time. If they go full time straight into SL2 then it may work, but do they have the money to do that? Time will tell.

TBF the opening post mentions a cash injection, probably similar to leigh and fev,

Also a European league needs European teams.... this would complement the English and Welsh nicely for the next 20 years....

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

totally agree toulouse were an abject failure in the championship 

They might have been disappointing but it wasn't too long ago that they knocked off a SL side in the Challenge Cup. How many Championship sides have done that in the last decade? ;)

http://www.theguardi...hallengecup2005

Edited by Scubby, 14 May 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#14 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

widnes and featherstone but lets face it mate anything can happen in a one off cup tie 

Edited by Viking Warrior, 14 May 2014 - 09:00 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

TBF the opening post mentions a cash injection, probably similar to leigh and fev,

Also a European league needs European teams.... this would complement the English and Welsh nicely for the next 20 years....

It would have to be millions IMO. I don't think the OP implied millions as I think a bigger deal would of been made of these 'corporate figures' involved.

As I say time will tell I guess.

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

one day people will realise that there is a historic hotbed of rugby league which would be a shoe in for super league if a team could be helped as the french teams are.........................i give you cumbria 

#17 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

one day people will realise that there is a historic hotbed of rugby league which would be a shoe in for super league if a team could be helped as the french teams are.........................i give you cumbria 

Workington could be in SL after next year if they win enough games.

Edited by Scubby, 14 May 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#18 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

As could Whitehaven and Barrow. Although we don't really class Whitehaven as cumbrian, they're like the unwanted brother we don't want to associate ourselves with.

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Haven are the top Cumbria team at the moment.

#20 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

What TV deal would they bring?
How would they fair in a french league?
Would the clubs merge like catalan did?
Haven't they had a bash at it and failed? Didn't they have free access to SL for years and bottled it?