Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RU world cup progress report

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:55 PM

The organising committee has issued a progress report on preparations for their world cup. As might be expected there is a big emphasis on the off field commercial activities and comparatively little about what will happen on the pitch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-27307178

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

Perhaps that's because it's a business report rather than a sports report?

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,829 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

It's hardy a dispassionate  piece, though, with a rubbish  introduction like this:

As this summer's football World Cup limps uncertainly to the starting line, the final phase of organisation for another global sporting event - the 2015 Rugby World Cup - has hit the ground running. :bad:  :bad:  :bad:  :bad:

#4 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

It's hardy a dispassionate  piece, though, with a rubbish  introduction like this:

As this summer's football World Cup limps uncertainly to the starting line, the final phase of organisation for another global sporting event - the 2015 Rugby World Cup - has hit the ground running. :bad:  :bad:  :bad:  :bad:

It is true though-Brazil are nowhere near ready and the fixtures and stadia for the RU World Cup are all in place well over a year in advance.

#5 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

The bit that made me laugh is...

"It is our ambition that tickets go to genuine fans," says Ms Jevans.

Genuine fans who can afford £200+ per ticket. Yep that certainly rules out the majority of them.

28m391z.jpg

#6 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

It is true though-Brazil are nowhere near ready and the fixtures and stadia for the RU World Cup are all in place well over a year in advance.

The R F U have not had to purpose build or refurbish the stadiums they are using for the finals they are just using the ones in situ or borrowing soccer stadium .

#7 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

The R F U have not had to purpose build or refurbish the stadiums they are using for the finals they are just using the ones in situ or borrowing soccer stadium .

Seems like a sensible and well thought out plan to me. Well done RFU.

28m391z.jpg

#8 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

Seems like a sensible and well thought out plan to me. Well done RFU.

But would they have been ready 12 months out if they had to build 6 50,000 seater stadium as happens with the F I F A world cup !

#9 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

But would they have been ready 12 months out if they had to build 6 50,000 seater stadium as happens with the F I F A world cup !

I doubt that they would have bid to host the RWC if they knew that they had to build six 50,000 seater stadia. They knew the infrastructure was in place when they bid and managed their plans accordingly.

RU is not comparable in size with soccer, building new stadia for one tournament would not be viable, but then Brasil FA have had a very long time to plan for this and seem to have done so very poorly.

28m391z.jpg

#10 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

I doubt that they would have bid to host the RWC if they knew that they had to build six 50,000 seater stadia. They knew the infrastructure was in place when they bid and managed their plans accordingly.

RU is not comparable in size with soccer, building new stadia for one tournament would not be viable, but then Brasil FA have had a very long time to plan for this and seem to have done so very poorly.

I think you are underselling union there TT.  Six 50,000 seater stadiums is only 300,000 (I knew my Doctorate in pure mathematics would come in useful one day!).  That is less than 1% of the 4bn people who watched the 2007 final worldwide and only 5% of the 6m who crammed themselves into the stadium for the final - excluding season ticket holders of course..

#11 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

I think you are underselling union there TT.  Six 50,000 seater stadiums is only 300,000 (I knew my Doctorate in pure mathematics would come in useful one day!).  That is less than 1% of the 4bn people who watched the 2007 final worldwide and only 5% of the 6m who crammed themselves into the stadium for the final - excluding season ticket holders of course..

Not wishing to go off topic, so sticking with rugby world cups could you double check the figures where it was announced that the 2000 RLWC made a profit please, my doctorate wasn't in mathematics so it's beyond my comprehension? 

28m391z.jpg

#12 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

Not wishing to go off topic, so sticking with rugby world cups could you double check the figures where it was announced that the 2000 RLWC made a profit please, my doctorate wasn't in mathematics so it's beyond my comprehension? 

Mmm, touchy, but no - you have gone off topic so no need to bother with any mathematics there at all.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,829 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

The bit that made me laugh is...

"It is our ambition that tickets go to genuine fans," says Ms Jevans.

Genuine fans who can afford £200+ per ticket. Yep that certainly rules out the majority of them.

No it doesn't. I think you'll find that they are 10 times oversubscribed at that price and will be changing hands at a premium across the tables in Harvey Nicks restaurants and in the dorms at Terra Nova

#14 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

I think TT already said - why give it to countries that don't already have the infrastructure?

As for this whole thing - why not be happy about how your sport and the powers that look after it are doing? Maybe the old PMA stuff is exactly what RL needs!

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

I think TT already said - why give it to countries that don't already have the infrastructure?

As for this whole thing - why not be happy about how your sport and the powers that look after it are doing? Maybe the old PMA stuff is exactly what RL needs!

It's one thing to talk up and be positive about your own sport. But trying to claim you have a better World Cup than soccer can easily lead to you looking like a plonker. After all, it's the only sport with genuine claim to have a WC. 

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,829 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

I think it's about helping to develop that country's sporting infrastructure.

#17 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

It's one thing to talk up and be positive about your own sport. But trying to claim you have a better World Cup than soccer can easily lead to you looking like a plonker. After all, it's the only sport with genuine claim to have a WC. 

RU claiming to have a better organised and planned WC when compared to soccer seems quite reasonable. Preparation for Brazil are still ongoing and it was not well thought out and planned, and Blatter has just admitted that hosting a soccer WC in Qatar was probably a mistake.

If RU were claiming to have more viewers or more competing nations than soccer then I would agree it was nonsense, but when talking up the RWC by saying how things are moving along relatively smoothly (apart from Ticketmaster having a few issues with early ticket sales) and planning is paying off then this seem quite reasonable and something soccer could learn from RU.

28m391z.jpg

#18 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

I think it's about helping to develop that country's sporting infrastructure.

If that's not financially viable or even necessary then building a load of stadia for the sake of it would just be silly. The RFU have planned a WC competition utlising current resources and I suspect will do a very good job of hosting the RWC. Yep they could have tried to build 50,000 seater stadia in Bath, Gloucester Leicester, Leeds, Newcastle and Birmingham but that would have been complete madness.

28m391z.jpg

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,829 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

indeed it would, but then it not a mass participation global sport. By comparison, its a minority sport with a small following in all but a few countries. Congrats to the RFU in accepting this.

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

RU claiming to have a better organised and planned WC when compared to soccer seems quite reasonable. Preparation for Brazil are still ongoing and it was not well thought out and planned, and Blatter has just admitted that hosting a soccer WC in Qatar was probably a mistake.

If RU were claiming to have more viewers or more competing nations than soccer then I would agree it was nonsense, but when talking up the RWC by saying how things are moving along relatively smoothly (apart from Ticketmaster having a few issues with early ticket sales) and planning is paying off then this seem quite reasonable and something soccer could learn from RU.

The sheer size of organising a soccer WC must involve scenarios that the people involved in the RUWC can't begin to envisage. There are bound to be issues and mistakes, it doesn't reflect well on them trying to make out they are better organised.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users