RU world cup progress report

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

It's one thing to talk up and be positive about your own sport. But trying to claim you have a better World Cup than soccer can easily lead to you looking like a plonker. After all, it's the only sport with genuine claim to have a WC. 

I remember an article by Brian (poodle) Moore a couple of years ago in which he suggested that RL should stop trying to compare itself to other sports (i.e. union).  His comment came in response to some words by an RL official, which he had taken totally out of context.   Perhaps he could now write another article stating that union should stop trying to compare itself to other sports, particularly soccer.

#22 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

The sheer size of organising a soccer WC must involve scenarios that the people involved in the RUWC can't begin to envisage. There are bound to be issues and mistakes, it doesn't reflect well on them trying to make out they are better organised.

The RFU are better organised, they have everything in place and as planned for the tournament they are hosting.

The Brazilian FA knew this was coming a long time ago but this has been badly managed. They had a far bigger budget and more support yet are struggling to deliver. Do you consider this an example of being better organised?

28m391z.jpg

#23 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Let's be fair to union for a change; they were not the ones to make the comparison with FIFA's World Cup. Reread the article and you will see it is the BBC journalist who brought it in to spice up a fairly dull story of everything progressing smoothly.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#24 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

I remember an article by Brian (poodle) Moore a couple of years ago in which he suggested that RL should stop trying to compare itself to other sports (i.e. union).  His comment came in response to some words by an RL official, which he had taken totally out of context.   Perhaps he could now write another article stating that union should stop trying to compare itself to other sports, particularly soccer.

Why would he do that when RU looks so good by comparison, with plans well in place for the 2015 RWC and planning well advanced for the 2019 RWC in Japan?

The Brazil soccer WC is struggling along with their preparations and kick-off weeks away and they just admitted that Qatar was probably a mistake.

28m391z.jpg

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

It is irrelevant anyway if none of the stadiums were finished and they played the games on the local park. They will still be all full and generate massive coverage.

#26 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

It is irrelevant anyway if none of the stadiums were finished and they played the games on the local park. They will still be all full and generate massive coverage.

Not at all, the RFU would still be able to claim they prepared and planned better which was what we were discussing. Unless you have seen the RFU claim they will get more coverage than the soccer WC?

As stated the Brazil WC has been badly planned for and the Qatar one they are now admitting is a mistake in choice of venue. The RFU can quite rightly claim to have done a better job of preparing and only the most chippy of souls would disagree.

Have a great weekend. I'm off to grab a beer and get ready for the Premiership semi-final being played tonight.

28m391z.jpg

#27 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,509 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

The article is more a Union Propaganda article than a normal article. The fact is Union is not a world game and never will be. Most people in Europe have no idea what Rugby of any code is or even care. Will the Union WC be on national tv in Poland, Germany, Spain, Serbia, Russia? Will there be fan festivals in Copenhagen, Oslo, Vienna, Lisbon etc? Of course not. The Union WC will be a success and is well organized and obviously the old boys brigade will help plough money in. But there is no need to try and pretend Union is a World game or that millions of people will follow the WC. Probably more people are watching the Ice Hockey at the moment than will watch Union. Its claimed that around 800 Million people will watch or will have watched a WC 2014 Ice Hockey game. 

#28 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Why would he do that when RU looks so good by comparison, with plans well in place for the 2015 RWC and planning well advanced for the 2019 RWC in Japan?

The Brazil soccer WC is struggling along with their preparations and kick-off weeks away and they just admitted that Qatar was probably a mistake.

Ah, so bragging and looking down on others is ok?  That sounds about the norm for union so fair do's.

#29 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

The article is more a Union Propaganda article than a normal article. The fact is Union is not a world game and never will be. Most people in Europe have no idea what Rugby of any code is or even care. Will the Union WC be on national tv in Poland, Germany, Spain, Serbia, Russia? Will there be fan festivals in Copenhagen, Oslo, Vienna, Lisbon etc? Of course not. The Union WC will be a success and is well organized and obviously the old boys brigade will help plough money in. But there is no need to try and pretend Union is a World game or that millions of people will follow the WC. Probably more people are watching the Ice Hockey at the moment than will watch Union. Its claimed that around 800 Million people will watch or will have watched a WC 2014 Ice Hockey game. 

Now come on LRL, there were more than 800m in the stadium alone at the last union wc final.  You can't dispute it, I saw worked out on the union calculator.

#30 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Ah, so bragging and looking down on others is ok?  That sounds about the norm for union so fair do's.

Oh dear, is that really the best angle you can find for a dig at RU? You are now sounding very desperate MB. 

28m391z.jpg

#31 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Just 101 countries playing RU. Sounding very chippy there LRL.

The RFU is doing a great job and you call it propaganda and others accuse RU of looking down on people. Jesus wept you guys need to move on as you are really scrapping the barrel for excuses to slag off RU.

The last RLWC was a success, is telling everyone about it bragging and a sign of arrogance?

http://www.irb.com/r...king/index.html

28m391z.jpg

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

Not at all, the RFU would still be able to claim they prepared and planned better which was what we were discussing. Unless you have seen the RFU claim they will get more coverage than the soccer WC?

As stated the Brazil WC has been badly planned for and the Qatar one they are now admitting is a mistake in choice of venue. The RFU can quite rightly claim to have done a better job of preparing and only the most chippy of souls would disagree.

Have a great weekend. I'm off to grab a beer and get ready for the Premiership semi-final being played tonight.

not really like for like though is it?
Its like me bragging that i rent my flat looking down my nose at the guy down the road who built his own four bedroom detached home because he had some delays.
Fifa could have gone out and rented 20 grounds. Easy.

Edited by Dave T, 16 May 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#33 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Oh dear, is that really the best angle you can find for a dig at RU? You are now sounding very desperate MB. 

Not the best angle, no, just one of many

#34 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,509 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Just 101 countries playing RU. Sounding very chippy there LRL.

The RFU is doing a great job and you call it propaganda and others accuse RU of looking down on people. Jesus wept you guys need to move on as you are really scrapping the barrel for excuses to slag off RU.

The last RLWC was a success, is telling everyone about it bragging and a sign of arrogance?

http://www.irb.com/r...king/index.html

No doubt Union is very successful and well organized. But the claim made by many Unionites, is that Union is a world game is a joke and clearly not the case. From my experience travelling around Europe and the world its an Ex pats game with a handful of natives who play and follow it in most cases. Certainly if you went to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, Oslo, Vienna etc even during the WC you wouldnt see people dont care or even know there was a WC on. From my experience most Europeans outside of France and Italy have no idea on Rugby of any code and often confuse it with American Football. I dont know where Unionites get this thing about Rugby Union being a world game from.

#35 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

I dont know where Unionites get this thing about Rugby Union being a world game from.

See the link previously provided. Click on and it and read the list. HTH. You're welcome.

28m391z.jpg

#36 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

Fifa could have gone out and rented 20 grounds. Easy.

Shame they never thought of doing that, then they would be able to tell everyone how good they are planning tournaments.

Perhaps they could also shift thew Qatar soccer WC to the UK and tell everyone how awesome they are and meant to do that all along.

They could have done a lot of things, but they didn't. 

28m391z.jpg

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Shame they never thought of doing that, then they would be able to tell everyone how good they are planning tournaments.

Perhaps they could also shift thew Qatar soccer WC to the UK and tell everyone how awesome they are and meant to do that all along.

They could have done a lot of things, but they didn't.

and there are reasons for doing that. When the tournaments end, the Fifa one will leave a far bigger legacy.

#38 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,509 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

See the link previously provided. Click on and it and read the list. HTH. You're welcome.

Seen the list and it tells you very little. I have played Union around Europe and a large number of teams are made up of people from UK & Ireland, USA, France, Australasia and South Africa rather than based on natives- usually students. Just because Union is played in Austria, Indonesia, Poland, Monaco etc doesnt make it a world game. And having played in Austria, its very much an unknown sport as it is around much of Europe from my personal experience. As I said there is no reason to class Union as a world sport. Most people in the world will not have the opportunity to watch on TV or even know the Union WC is on. 

#39 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

Seen the list and it tells you very little. I have played Union around Europe and a large number of teams are made up of people from UK & Ireland, USA, France, Australasia and South Africa rather than based on natives- usually students. Just because Union is played in Austria, Indonesia, Poland, Monaco etc doesnt make it a world game. And having played in Austria, its very much an unknown sport as it is around much of Europe from my personal experience. As I said there is no reason to class Union as a world sport. Most people in the world will not have the opportunity to watch on TV or even know the Union WC is on. 

I don't think anyone is claiming that RU is a sport that everyone will have heard of, and yes the ex-pat community is doing it's bit to spread the word, but it's got to start somewhere and it is in many many countries across the planet. There is a comprehensive qualification process for the RWC with a vast number of countries competing.

From juniors upwards I've played against club sides from various (non mainstream) European countries, the players were not ex-pats and they played a very good standard of RU.

28m391z.jpg

#40 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

and there are reasons for doing that. When the tournaments end, the Fifa one will leave a far bigger legacy.

What, shiny new stadia for already establish clubs in Brazil? You think soccer might catch on there  ;)

28m391z.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users