Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Magic Weekend Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

Poll: How many games will you watch? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

How many games will you watch at the stadium or on TV?

1. One (1 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

2. Two (3 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Three (5 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

4. Four (10 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

5. Five (4 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

6. Six (2 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

7. Seven (16 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

8. None (7 votes [14.58%])

Percentage of vote: 14.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#361 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

For those without Sky or a train ticket to Manchester, Radio 5 Sports Extra are doing commentary on all three matches today.

I haven't got Sky but TBH I reckon I've seen the best. Off to Fev this aft.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#362 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Fantastic display by Wigan, they took it to Leeds and never shirked a tackle all game. I'm not McIlorum's biggest fan but he led Wigan brilliantly yesterday, a definite captain's knock.

The biff was nothing really, the only real surprise was that nobody laid McGuire out for his constant niggling including kicking out at Williams after a great tackle.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#363 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

McGuire has always been good at starting something and then walking backwards, still giving the lip and hiding behind a forward.

People forget that Thaler penalised Wigan for putting forearm in a tacked player's face but Leeds constantly do it (as do other teams).

#364 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

18-0 to Cas after 24 mins and look far more dangerous with ball in hand. Just had another try disallowed aswell.

#365 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

He's not as good as hit & run Bailey.

#366 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

A fractured cheek bone keeps Danny Kirmond off the pitch for a whole 18 minutes.

#367 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,363 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

What was the VR watching?? Ball steal and try.

Very brave of Danny Kirmond, but I don't like to see that. I think that's a broken cheekbone and he shouldn't be on the field.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#368 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

All these costs for Wigan, Salford, and Widnes fans who live on the doorstep and tickets for the day less than most regular Round games. Rovers and Hull travel in numbers as do Leeds fans to Wigan. Most don't go for the weekend and certainly those within 30 miles don't need to stay overnight.
Hull v Rovers league games at the KC usually attract 20,000 plus and Wigan v Leeds on a Sat/ Sun must reach close to that.

If anything your point of expense reinforces the quality support the poor folk in Hull provide......why cannot there be better support from clubs much closer to Manchester. This is a festival of games so even season ticket holders can dig deep.....with the concessions they get tickets are a giveaway esp for up to 4 games.....a day out not 2 hours entertainment.

Wembley might have taken 20 years....how long ago was that.....but it is in London, hardly cheap or attractive. The crowd in 1964, my first trip, was 70,000 and travel options were tough in those days.

My point is that 36000.....a record....is nothing to crow about after fantastic marketing every week since it was announced and 3 years into Manchester.

Padge....are you really happy with the status quo? Do you have a radical bone in your body?
When do you think we can achieve 50 000 at Magic?

#369 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

Let's scrap the magic weekend then because one fan thinks the crowds are disappointing.

#370 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

All these costs for Wigan, Salford, and Widnes fans who live on the doorstep and tickets for the day less than most regular Round games. Rovers and Hull travel in numbers as do Leeds fans to Wigan. Most don't go for the weekend and certainly those within 30 miles don't need to stay overnight.
Hull v Rovers league games at the KC usually attract 20,000 plus and Wigan v Leeds on a Sat/ Sun must reach close to that.

If anything your point of expense reinforces the quality support the poor folk in Hull provide......why cannot there be better support from clubs much closer to Manchester. This is a festival of games so even season ticket holders can dig deep.....with the concessions they get tickets are a giveaway esp for up to 4 games.....a day out not 2 hours entertainment.

Wembley might have taken 20 years....how long ago was that.....but it is in London, hardly cheap or attractive. The crowd in 1964, my first trip, was 70,000 and travel options were tough in those days.

My point is that 36000.....a record....is nothing to crow about after fantastic marketing every week since it was announced and 3 years into Manchester.

Padge....are you really happy with the status quo? Do you have a radical bone in your body?
When do you think we can achieve 50 000 at Magic?

All interesting points. I would love to know the percentage of weekend tickets against overall sales when the event was in Cardiff and Edinburgh compared to Manchester? If it is significantly lower then it is making it really difficult to grow as a tourist experience. Manchester while making it easier to get there also makes it easier to go home.

The upper tier opening was a breakthrough yesterday. You could argue the atmosphere yesterday was the best it has been in all the years of Magic. However, it is clearly a lower showing on Sunday. There could be a case of the Magic weekend being round 1 after the split in 2015 and just over 1 day. The top eight clubs across 1 day and aiming for 40k plus in ticket sales.

Edited by Scubby, 18 May 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#371 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Was the attendance better than before? Than that's a good thing. I'm putting my tin helmet on now... 

How's it looking today?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#372 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Let's scrap the magic weekend then because one fan thinks the crowds are disappointing.

Things looking OK in an RL comp, quick hunt for negatives.....

#373 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Contender for try of the season by Sneyd there.

#374 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

Fantastic play from Sneyd there. Get him on the plane, Steve!

#375 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Things looking OK in an RL comp, quick hunt for negatives.....

Pretty much.

I went last year and it was one of the best events I've been too. I was 17 last year and didn't even mind that I didn't have the opportunity to drink because the atmosphere was so friendly and enjoyable.

We should keep it at the Etihad and try to expand it. Spread the word to other people how good the event is, not criticise the crowds and mumble.

#376 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

"syker" ???

#377 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

"syker" ???

Siejka

#378 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Siejka

ah...thought the commentator was misreading Sykes shirt name

#379 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Pretty much.

I went last year and it was one of the best events I've been too. I was 17 last year and didn't even mind that I didn't have the opportunity to drink because the atmosphere was so friendly and enjoyable.

We should keep it at the Etihad and try to expand it. Spread the word to other people how good the event is, not criticise the crowds and mumble.

The ground's going up to 60k in a couple of years, so to target 120k over the weekend would be fantastic in coming years. 

#380 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

Sneyd has to be considered for the England 7 shirt. He's a class act.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users