Photo
- - - - -

The new Featherstone Rovers Head coach is..............

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,605 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Andy Hay.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#2 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

http://www.thereddev...ves-red-devils/

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#3 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

http://www.featherst...le.php?id=13014

Rovers appoint Andy Hay as Head Coach

Thursday 15th May 2014

23349.jpgStory in brief:
Andy Hay has joined Featherstone Rovers as Head Coach after signing a two year contract

Featherstone Rovers are delighted to announce that Andy Hay has been appointed as First Team Head Coach with immediate effect on a two year contract. Andy, the former Great Britain International had a successful playing career spanning 15 years with Sheffield Eagles, Castleford Tigers, Leeds Rhinos and Widnes Vikings.

Andy has a rich pedigree in the sport and followed in his father's footsteps, who was also a professional rugby league player. John was a professional player with Featherstone Rovers, who regularly filled in the centre spots and was at Post Office Road in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Following his playing career which also saw Andy play for Great Britain in the 1999 Tri-nations and England in 2000 World Cup, Andy made his first move into coaching as Academy Coach at Castleford Tigers for 12 months before being promoted to Assistant First Team Coach alongside Head Coach Terry Matterson in 2006. In 2011 Andy joined Hull FC as Assistant to Peter Gentle. Following two years at Hull FC, Andy joined Salford Red Devils as Assistant to Brian Noble and most recently assisted former Rovers player Iestyn Harris. Andy is part of the RFL Elite Coaches Programme and visited Australia in 2012 where he spent time at Sydney Roosters, West Tigers and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Featherstone Rovers received a number of quality of applications and expressions of interest from throughout the world for the high profile position in the last week. Following a thorough interview process, Andy has been appointed as the main man to steer Featherstone Rovers back to the top flight.

Andy Hay who is relishing the opportunity said "I am looking forward to the challenge of being Head Coach of a club like Featherstone Rovers. It has a fantastic history and tradition which I'm well aware of. The club has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years, the stadium redevelopments are progressing well and this Centre of Excellence is one of the best I've seen. A competitive squad has been established and all the ingredients are there for the club to kick on. The new competition structures that are coming in place from next year present a great opportunity for Featherstone Rovers and I cannot wait to get started and lead us through an exciting chapter for the club."

Featherstone Rovers Chairman Mark Campbell said "I'm absolutely delighted to welcome Andy to the "Fev Family" and relish working with him on strengthening our squad with the new league structures in mind. I'm confident with Andy's knowledge of players throughout Super League we will continue to improve the squad to meet the next challenge of the relegated teams from Super League which I'm sure we are all looking forward to.

"We have an excellent squad at the moment which was demonstrated last weekend with a fantastic win away at the current champions and I'll like to put on record just how lucky we are to have such an outstanding coach in Danny Evans who we all know is Featherstone through and through. He just gets on with the job in hand and it was even more pleasing to see such a turnout of the Capper Army at Sheffield Eagles especially after two disappointing results against Leigh Centurions. I know how much Danny and the players appreciate the great support they get on match days.

"I feel it's going to be an exciting ride from now until the end of the season and the fantastic result achieved at Sheffield Eagles by Danny and the lads was what we as a group talked about last Monday. We all said that Featherstone Rovers season starts now! Now we have beaten Sheffield Eagles, we can go till the end of the season unbeaten and beat Leigh. I know this is Andy's goal and with the boards backing and your fantastic support together we can turn our disappointing start to 2014 into a thriller

Featherstone Rovers Majority Shareholder Feisal Nahaboo said "I'm really excited that we have got our man. Andy has worked alongside some quality coaches over the last five years and observed and learnt their best attributes. He is a well-rounded individual who is used to working with Super League quality players and getting the best out of the players at his disposal and that is something that ticked a lot of boxes for us.

"Andy is chomping at the bit to be a Head Coach and we feel he is our ideal man. As a player Andy was a winner and competitive player and this character shows through. He is technically very astute, he wishes to play not only a winning brand of rugby but also an entertaining brand of rugby which will excite supporters. It was a unanimous decision to appoint Andy and he was impressed what the club has to offer. The Centre of Excellence shows our commitment to the long term development of players at the club as well as the fantastic work our volunteers led by Paul Coventry are doing on the Railway End of the ground.

"He interviewed very well and is very enthusiastic about his future. Like all of us at Featherstone Rovers, he is an ambitious man and is fully focused on winning games and returning us to the top echelons where we belong. He will be given the investment which will be substantial to mould the squad he wants to complement the excellent facilities we have at Featherstone Rovers. Supporters must unite as one and support Andy and the squad for the rest of 2014."

Andy Hay will be in charge of first team duties for the visit of Workington Town RLFC on Sunday 18th May. Admission on the gate is £17 adults, £10 Concession and £5 juniors.

There is also pre-match hospitality available where Andy will be interviewed as Head Coach for the first time. To book your places or for more information please contact Commercial Manager Paul Taylor on 01977 702386 or email paul.taylor@featherstonerovers.net

The club will be holding a "Meet the Head Coach Evening" on Wednesday 21st May at the Big Fellas Stadium at 7.30pm.

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

Good luck to him.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

Good luck to him.

He'll need it. Bucket of salt time for all new announcements from the club........

#6 johnh1

johnh1
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Good luck to Andy from a Salford fan. Looking forward to Rovers being in Super League sometime very soon.

#7 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

Good luck to Andy from a Salford fan. Looking forward to Rovers being in Super League sometime very soon.

What's your opinion of his ability John?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

Best wishes for him.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

For me its a strange appointment after all the big statement last week!  After all this talk from Featherstone about having money and basically bragging about things, I would have expected a big name coach with experience or somebody from Australia like Justin Morgan or another assistant at a NRL club to lead Fev into SL. Andy Hay, as far as I know has never been a head coach or has experience of the Pressure he will be under at Fev. Will be interesting to see how this develops

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

A Cas lad ....... mmmmm ........ should fit in well.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#11 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

For me its a strange appointment after all the big statement last week! After all this talk from Featherstone about having money and basically bragging about things, I would have expected a big name coach with experience or somebody from Australia like Justin Morgan or another assistant at a NRL club to lead Fev into SL. Andy Hay, as far as I know has never been a head coach or has experience of the Pressure he will be under at Fev. Will be interesting to see how this develops

Which big name SL coaches are available other than Nobby? Could you really see an NRL assistant uproot and give up his position in the World's top comp to coach an English Championship club? We were only ever going to get a SL assistant at best and Hay has been an international SL player and coached SL players consistently for a good number of years. Why is it a strange appointment?

If we're talking about pressure there's plenty at Salford and what position did Iestyn Harris hold before joining them as head coach

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 16 May 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#12 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

A Cas lad ....... mmmmm ........ should fit in well.

Aye but his dad played for Fev Griff so the pedigree's top notch

#13 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Which big name SL coaches are available other than Nobby? Could you really see an NRL assistant uproot and give up his position in the World's top comp to coach an English Championship club? We were only ever going to get a SL assistant at best and Hay has been an international SL player and coached SL players consistently for a good number of years. Why is it a strange appointment?

If we're talking about pressure there's plenty at Salford and what position did Iestyn Harris hold before joining them as head coach

Have Assistant Coaches at NRL clubs not joined clubs outside of SL before? The way that certain people at your club was mouthing off last week, that money was not a problem and you could get anybody you wanted its a strange appointment that you get a coach with no experience as head coach at either SL or Championship level . A person who has never experienced being under pressure as head coach and what is required. Being assistant coach is completely different to being Head Coach.  Also that your last coach, had no experience as a head coach and allegedly wasnt up to it your club then decides to go for somebody from a similar background with no experience is a surprise. Featherstone publically stated last week they expect to be a top SL team in a couple of years and yet within a couple of days of this they are a dual Reg club with Wakefield- there great rivals. Then your club announce a person who has no experience at coaching at that level. Your clubs public statement last week was very positive and brash. The news after, has maybe shown the reality of the situation at Featherstone and that this wild statement last week was a bit foolish. With respect Fev stand little chance of being a top SL club in the next 5 years and the past few days have shown that

#14 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

Have Assistant Coaches at NRL clubs not joined clubs outside of SL before? The way that certain people at your club was mouthing off last week, that money was not a problem and you could get anybody you wanted its a strange appointment that you get a coach with no experience as head coach at either SL or Championship level . A person who has never experienced being under pressure as head coach and what is required. Being assistant coach is completely different to being Head Coach.  Also that your last coach, had no experience as a head coach and allegedly wasnt up to it your club then decides to go for somebody from a similar background with no experience is a surprise. Featherstone publically stated last week they expect to be a top SL team in a couple of years and yet within a couple of days of this they are a dual Reg club with Wakefield- there great rivals. Then your club announce a person who has no experience at coaching at that level. Your clubs public statement last week was very positive and brash. The news after, has maybe shown the reality of the situation at Featherstone and that this wild statement last week was a bit foolish. With respect Fev stand little chance of being a top SL club in the next 5 years and the past few days have shown that

thank you for your concern. noted

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#15 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Never heard of him

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#16 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

FFS, Fev need to kick someone up their backside for all the rubbish, i can see them becoming a feeder club for Fev Lions

#17 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

http://www.thesun.co...ay-as-boss.html
http://www.dailystar...-Hay-s-time-now
http://www.thesun.co...Down-Under.html

Salford confirmed the move on their official website, with coach Iestyn Harris saying: "Andy is a talented coach and we are obviously sorry to see him go but this is a fantastic opportunity for him to progress his career at an ambitious and committed Championship side."

The lad is highly rated, he'll do ok for Fev. Just can't understand the negativity towards him and the club. A degree of wishful thinking perhaps?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 16 May 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,629 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

A degree of wishful thinking perhaps? 

Don't think so..more a reaction to "The Head Coach will be a fantastic manager who will win our dressing room, not for what he has accomplished, but for who he is, what he stands for and what transparent qualities he brings to the dressing room."

Anyway, good luck to him.  Good coaches are hard to find and they have to start somewhere and gain skill, knowledge, experience, standing etc. Just hope that when he is successful at Fev, he isn't temped away by the delights of the big city.

Patience is a virtue so I trust he will be given the time necessary to achieve results. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users