Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Joel Tomkins

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 7723

• Coach
  • 597 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Apparently Wigan are making a huge bid to bring him back.

https://twitter.com/...221132282572800

Edited by 7723, 16 May 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

I thought that was Salford not Wigan!

That said I do think we need a player like him, or at least like the player he was before we moved him to the centre and then went to union. The year O'Loughlin was injured he played LF for us if I remember and played it well. As it looks like O'Loughlin's career might be sadly winding down through injury maybe he's a good fit to come back.

#3 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

It would be a nice change to see a top class player come into the club instead of leaving.

#4 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Don't care either way, really.
He ditched his club and his code, so why should he waltz back ahead of a true leaguie?

#5 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

Good luck to him, it just proves that playing for England is the only pull Union has, once that doesn't happen there is not much worth staying for.

I really do think Burgess will be back in RL within 12 months.

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Don't care either way, really.
He ditched his club and his code, so why should he waltz back ahead of a true leaguie?

FFS! What year is it again?

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Good luck to him, it just proves that playing for England is the only pull Union has, once that doesn't happen there is not much worth staying for.

I really do think Burgess will be back in RL within 12 months.

Very interesting comment Mark and I think Joel being back in the game will have a massive impact on Sam Tomkins too. Absolutely agree with you about Sam Burgess, saw his Mum interviewed at half-time at the Bunnies game and she said she responded to the news by saying 'what are you doing? You're breaking my heart'. Also said she would be staying in Australia with the rest of the boys. The pull to go back will be massive if things don't go right in the first few months. I noticed he has only signed a two and a half year contract in union too.

In Joel's case. He is a top athlete and I don't buy this criticism of his abilities he got when he left. He would be pushing for a back-row spot in the England side within the first season of his return.

Edited by Scubby, 16 May 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

FFS! What year is it again?

Each to their own.
I don't know what you do, but what effect would it have on your motivation if you had chosen to ignore the advances of a predatory direct rival, a colleague had moved to them for more money, and then was welcomed back with open arms?
And would that make you less or more inclined to accept an offer, the next time the phone went.
FFS is that clear enough?

#9 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Wigan may still hold his registration so that could help them in negotiations.
Any rival club for Joel's signature would then have to pay a transfer fee as well as match Wigan's salary offer.
Would be good to get him back in the game and even better if it were at Wigan!

#10 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

He's in his mid-20s and was out of contract when he left so any attempt by Wigan to cash in would be futile.

It's a moot point anyway as I'm fairly certain he'll be heading back to Wigan anyway.

#11 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

He's in his mid-20s and was out of contract when he left so any attempt by Wigan to cash in would be futile.

It's a moot point anyway as I'm fairly certain he'll be heading back to Wigan anyway.

He was out of contract when he left? I thought Wigan got a transfer fee then used that to uplift Sam's contract.

Would like to see him back, but as a 2nd row not a centre, though think it would be a couple of seasons before he was near international class - there's a fair few ahead of him

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#12 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

He was out of contract when he left? I thought Wigan got a transfer fee then used that to uplift Sam's contract.

Would like to see him back, but as a 2nd row not a centre, though think it would be a couple of seasons before he was near international class - there's a fair few ahead of him

You are correct you wont get a transfer fee for an OC player

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Wouldn't rush to have him back. The fact he played Union is irrelevant. He is it's hard to explain not big enough for the forwards or agile enough for the backs. He's a slightly above SL player that's all he is. He's like a slightly better version than Ian Thornley. I think a lot of Joel Tomkins hype came from his try at Wembley and the fact his brother is the best British SL player we have produced this century.

I'd have him back obviously, but a huge bid not a chance. If we want a huge bid can we try get back Sam Burgess, Chris Ashton or Bryan Habana on the wing maybe. A huge bid for Joel? Not worth it.

#14 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

Wouldn't rush to have him back. The fact he played Union is irrelevant. He is it's hard to explain not big enough for the forwards or agile enough for the backs. He's a slightly above SL player that's all he is. He's like a slightly better version than Ian Thornley. I think a lot of Joel Tomkins hype came from his try at Wembley and the fact his brother is the best British SL player we have produced this century.

I'd have him back obviously, but a huge bid not a chance. If we want a huge bid can we try get back Sam Burgess, Chris Ashton or Bryan Habana on the wing maybe. A huge bid for Joel? Not worth it.

Chris Ashton please no
Defence like a sieve

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Jesus, how old must Habana get before he stops being seen as the solution to... anything?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Chris Ashton? I do hope that was a joke, because he is a joke of a player, yet the ignorant kick and clap press seem to think he's a star lol.

I'd be happy to see Joel Tomkins come back, he'd be a solid Super League player, unless he's lost some of his skills in union but i certainly wouldn't be making a big play for him. I'd rather see Eastmond back because he could've been a star

#17 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

Jesus talk about missing the main point of a post and commenting on the little details. Signing a Chris Ashton or Bryan Habana would make national newspaper coverage. Signing Joel Tomkins won't. That would be probably the main benefit of signing a player like that.

#18 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'd rather eat my mother in laws toe nails than pay money to see Ashton. He's an average union player and no where near the quality of our current wingers.

If I placed a coffin on the right edge of cougar park it would bring down more players than Ashton's tackle success in a season.

#19 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

I wouldn't say he's been badly missed by SL or England, if he wants to come back then he should have to earn a place in the national team, rather than just going in straight away. The game's moved on without him and there are some decent prospects challenging for a backrow spot. I'd hate to hear the media obsession over him like he was a superstar, if he did come back. I'd rather someone made a big play for Eastmond than pay big bucks for Joel Tomkins. 

Edited by londonrlfan, 17 May 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#20 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

I wouldn't say he's been badly missed by SL or England, if he wants to come back then he should have to earn a place in the national team, rather than just going in straight away. The game's moved on without him and there are some decent prospects challenging for a backrow spot. I'd hate to hear the media obsession over him like he was a superstar, if he did come back. I'd rather someone made a big play for Eastmond than pay big bucks for Joel Tomkins. 

I don't think Tomkins would be anywhere near an England team if he came back, he wasn't in it before so i don't suddenly see why he would after a couple of years blunting his skills in another code

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users