Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

This Weekends Results 17th/18th May

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

Should we try this again?

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

At least 8 teams playing in the East this week.  A 25% increase in games, teams and playing numbers from last week.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

2 London games 24 - 0

* Staines cried off against London Skolars A
* Newham cried off against St Albans

On the plus side one PP game is being played today

* Elmbridge v Beckenham in London Div 1

#4 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Kings Lynn vs St Ives today at North Wootton; always a tasty affair... Sadly not playing having knackered by hamstring playing T20 cricket midweek... Getting old! Good luck to the rest of the teams in the East Division; it's going to be a warm one...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#5 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

London Entry League sees Hammersmith back in action and Esher's first game for the year.

2 positives.

#6 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

They really should have made Staines play division 1 rather than fast tracking them

#7 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

2 London games 24 - 0

* Staines cried off against London Skolars A
* Newham cried off against St Albans

They really should have made Staines play division 1 rather than fast tracking them

For the first time in the few years that I have been following amateur, sorry, open, rugby league in the south east I think the London league seems to be in a bit of a state at the minute, and not sure what can be done about it. The problem I think is that the standard of rugby seems to be very good for five of the six teams in this league, but is a very big step up for new teams.  Take the six teams in the London Prem, they have a ten game season plus a few cup games.  In this league you have Staines at one end  who 'stepped up' and have only played one game out of their first three, and in the same league you have Skolars 'A'  who last week when I watched them had at least six first team Skolars players in their 'A' team.  At one end you have a team with semi pro players in, playing in the same league as a team that seems unable to fulfil its fixtures. 

I know its stating the bleeding obvious, that more even, stable teams playing a longer seasons would seem to be the answer, but how that can be achieved, I do not know.  Any suggestions?

#8 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Skolars A should be in The Southern Conference really.

As for the rest, it is really a problem of critical mass - there aren't enough numbers to generate enough teams to give enough competitive divisions. There's a similar situation in the Midlands but we are just about hanging on.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#9 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Oxford Cavaliers 40 Bristol Sonics 18

Gloucester 70 Bristol Sonics A 50

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#10 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Did no one tackle in the Gloucester game. Taking into account a few penalties and knock on's there can't have been that many full sets of 6

#11 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

new ravens 34 nottingham outlaws a 46

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#12 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

London Cup
West Warriors 44 - 22 eastern Rhinos
SW London Chargers 40 - 26 Hemel A

Postponed London Div 1 game
Beckenham 34 - 16 Elmbridge

London Entry League
SW London Chargers 8 - 16 Hammersmith
SW London Chargers 16 - 4 Esher
Esher 0 - 24 Hammersmith

#13 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

South East Cup
Weald 50 - 38 Guildford
Medway 50 - 4 Portsmouth

East Premier
North Herts 24 - 22 Bedford
Milton Keynes 54 - 16 Southend

East Entry League
North Herts A 44 - 28 Bedford B

#14 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

Staines & Newham say they are good for next week and it was just a blip.

We will wait and See

#15 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Skolars A should be in The Southern Conference really.

As for the rest, it is really a problem of critical mass - there aren't enough numbers to generate enough teams to give enough competitive divisions. There's a similar situation in the Midlands but we are just about hanging on.

I'm guessing with Skolars A & Hemel A it is the travel that detracts from Confrence League South (and playing on Sundays) they get a pretty good opposition in London Premier - it's just that step from 5 to 8 teams that has always been tough!!

#16 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

London Cup
West Warriors 44 - 22 Eastern Rhinos

Wow, what a result.  Aren't West Warriors in the Entry League.  Can't find any website for them, anyone know anything about them?

#17 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

East Premier
North Herts 24 - 22 Bedford
Milton Keynes 54 - 16 Southend

Missed the most important game from that list... ;) Close game but sadly St Ives sneaked it in the end...

Kings Lynn 40 - 46 St Ives

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#18 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Wow, what a result. Aren't West Warriors in the Entry League. Can't find any website for them, anyone know anything about them?

They will hate me saying this but they are the kiwi equivalent of Hammersmith and weirdly play out of Hammersmiths old ground.

They will go through the leagues quickly - but rules state all teams must start in Entry League I believe. Can see them in London Prem next year (hopefully with the reformed Hammersmith).

#19 Janner

Janner
  • Coach
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

South West Men's League.
Plymouth Titans 48-24 Devon Sharks
North Devon Raiders 18-30 Exeter Centurions

#20 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

Staines & Newham say they are good for next week and it was just a blip.

We will wait and See

I've heard a number of conspiracy theories as to why Staines landed up in the Premier this year.  However, I said to the RFL that a team that bailed on the Entry League playoffs didn't deserve a crack at the Premier, no matter how well they did in the cup.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users