Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

This Weekends Results 17th/18th May

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

I've heard a number of conspiracy theories as to why Staines landed up in the Premier this year. However, I said to the RFL that a team that bailed on the Entry League playoffs didn't deserve a crack at the Premier, no matter how well they did in the cup.

If be interested to hear these conspiracy theories?

#22 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

Skolars A should be in The Southern Conference really.

As for the rest, it is really a problem of critical mass - there aren't enough numbers to generate enough teams to give enough competitive divisions. There's a similar situation in the Midlands but we are just about hanging on.

An expanded NCL South with a regionalised draw would appear to be the obvious solution here.

#23 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

An expanded NCL South with a regionalised draw would appear to be the obvious solution here.

If enough clubs were up for that you could use the old NL3 format where you play the teams in your region twice and out of your region once. I think it's most likely they'll build up London Premier to sit parallel to CLS though. You'd see more of the likes of Medway and perhaps Southampton and North Hertfordshire rather than Staines in such a league though.

#24 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

If be interested to hear these conspiracy theories?

Nothing too nefarious.  It seems some clubs have a bit more political pull than others, Staines being one of those clubs.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#25 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Sorry, other things that I wanted to chime in on.

If enough clubs were up for that you could use the old NL3 format where you play the teams in your region twice and out of your region once. I think it's most likely they'll build up London Premier to sit parallel to CLS though. You'd see more of the likes of Medway and perhaps Southampton and North Hertfordshire rather than Staines in such a league though.

London, South East and East have the same competitions manager and he has shown the clubs (that turned up) a plan for leagues with a smaller geographic footprint.  However, it needs clubs to evolve from juniors or to spring up out of thin air.  The idea situation is for five leagues to replace the current three.   East Region to split in two (East Anglia and South Midlands) with a shared Entry setup, South East to split into two (Hampshire/Berkshire and Kent/Surrey/Sussex) with a shared Entry setup and have a separate London league its own Entry league.  A suggestion was put forward that there should be a London, South and East superleague that sits between this setup and Conference League South.

They will hate me saying this but they are the kiwi equivalent of Hammersmith and weirdly play out of Hammersmiths old ground.

They will go through the leagues quickly - but rules state all teams must start in Entry League I believe. Can see them in London Prem next year (hopefully with the reformed Hammersmith).

I met the guys from Wests and it started from the tag rugby ranks but I think that once they decided a direction and hooked up with London New Zealand, it took a different direction.  Nice bunch of guys however, which I'm not sure you could always say about Hills Hoists.

#26 MalteseExile

MalteseExile
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

North East Results

17th NEA-D2 Miner RL 46-18 Consett Steelers 

17th NEA-D2 Gateshead Storm A 38-36 Peterlee Pumas A

17th NEA-D2 Warriors 18-50 Whitley Bay Barbarians

17th NEA-D1 Cramlington Rockets 34-36 Jarrow Vikings

17th NEA-D1 Gateshead Storm 38-20 Wallsend Eagles

10 teams played out of a possible 14

#27 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Skolars A should be in The Southern Conference really.

As for the rest, it is really a problem of critical mass - there aren't enough numbers to generate enough teams to give enough competitive divisions. There's a similar situation in the Midlands but we are just about hanging on.

I'm guessing with Skolars A & Hemel A it is the travel that detracts from Confrence League South (and playing on Sundays) they get a pretty good opposition in London Premier - it's just that step from 5 to 8 teams that has always been tough!!

I'm prepared to be shot down here, but just wondering,  is there any reason, apart from maybe travelling, that a joint London Prem and Eastern Prem would not work.  Play each team in your own Prem twice and once for the teams on the other premier league.  That would be a sixteen week season, plus a few cup games etc, would give clubs about a 20 week season.  Would they want it, is it do-able.

#28 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

I'm prepared to be shot down here, but just wondering, is there any reason, apart from maybe travelling, that a joint London Prem and Eastern Prem would not work. Play each team in your own Prem twice and once for the teams on the other premier league. That would be a sixteen week season, plus a few cup games etc, would give clubs about a 20 week season. Would they want it, is it do-able.

Wouldn't work as too many clubs are just a RU kick around. A joint London, SE and East premier in one division with more games on the CLS format may work though

#29 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

I'm prepared to be shot down here, but just wondering, is there any reason, apart from maybe travelling, that a joint London Prem and Eastern Prem would not work. Play each team in your own Prem twice and once for the teams on the other premier league. That would be a sixteen week season, plus a few cup games etc, would give clubs about a 20 week season. Would they want it, is it do-able.

I think a couple of East clubs could do it - North Herts & Bedford - while the step (at the moment) might be too far for the rest.

Bringing in Medway & maybe another from the South East could be the solution.

This would only work though if Bedford / North Herts / Medway second teams took their current position in their existing league.

Otherwise you strengthen one comp and weaken two!

Edited by London Drifter, 19 May 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#30 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

London & South East Entry League

Eastern Rhinos 'A' 30 - 30 Billericay Rangers

What a great result for two teams in their first outing.

Some good news!!

#31 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

London & South East Entry League

Eastern Rhinos 'A' 30 - 30 Billericay Rangers

What a great result for two teams in their first outing.

Some good news!!

See that North Herts-Bedford played a double header with 'A' teams in tow. 4 open age sides just has happened recently between Cadishead-Chester and earlier Bolton-Bury. Encouraging.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#32 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

I think a couple of East clubs could do it - North Herts & Bedford - while the step (at the moment) might be too far for the rest.

Bringing in Medway & maybe another from the South East could be the solution.

This would only work though if Bedford / North Herts / Medway second teams took their current position in their existing league.

Otherwise you strengthen one comp and weaken two!

Bedford A might be ready to step up but I reckon someone like Cambridge or Brentwood would be better than North Herts A perhaps. Medway don't have an A team.

#33 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

I've had a crazy format idea that might suit everyone's needs without upsetting the current status quo. It's so mad it might just work.

Let me think about it some more before I put it out there.

#34 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

How can you start a team in Billericay and not call them the Billericay Dickies?  Anybody know who's got that going?

#35 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Spot on in my opinion LD. As someone who plays in the East League, I think I have a decent grasp of the standard and North Herts and Bedford are a cut above the other four clubs. St Ives are a decent bunch but massively rely on 2/3 blokes so don't compare to the other sides. Milton Keynes are improving whilst Southend are a slightly unknown quantity but look to be of a lesser standard than those four clubs already mentioned. We (Kings Lynn) on the otherhand can be decent or downright awful and are nowhere near the level of North Herts and Bedford.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#36 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

How can you start a team in Billericay and not call them the Billericay Dickies? Anybody know who's got that going?

Billericay Rangers Rugby Union Club I believe.

#37 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

London Entry League sees Hammersmith back in action and Esher's first game for the year.

2 positives.

Another positive is that South London Storm are entering the Brighton 9s, and are in the process of arranging two or three friendlies.  ;)  

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#38 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Did no one tackle in the Gloucester game. Taking into account a few penalties and knock on's there can't have been that many full sets of 6

I was at the other game in Oxford (it was actually 44-18) but apparently the A team game was played 11-a-side… hence the space on the pitch and the ludicrous scoreline. Lots of players new to RL on both sides.

No excuse for our first team. Our defence was just poor, certainly in the second half.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users