Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull FC/Hull KR- The best to play for both?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

The mention of a couple of players playing today who's played for both got me thinking, whom have been the most notable players who have played for both?? What about putting a XIII together. I'll go for the obvious to begin with - Clive Sullivan.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Well since Rovers reached SL, a team of the players that have played for both that I can think of are:
1. S. Briscoe
2. Colborn
3. G. Horne
4. Gene
5. Hall
6. Cooke
7. James Webster
8. Paea
9. J. Hodgeson
10. Watts
11. Wheeldon
12. Galea
13. Chester

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 18 May 2014 - 09:27 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

What a great question

Have read it properly now - need to have a think about that one

Edited by Bomballey, 17 May 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#4 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

Some pretty ordinary players in Wellsy's SL XIII unfortunately. Apart from Sully, the other stand out player I can come up with is Mick Crane. Hugely gifted footballer and I wanted to mention him before RoyBoy did. I think Terry Clawson played for both and possibly one of the Drake twins from the Hull pack of the fifties. Can't be bothered to think of any more at the mo as I'm still sulking.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#5 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Flash Flanagan, Mike Stephenson Arthur Bunting?.....

#6 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

And of course the great Len Casey.

#7 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

Some pretty ordinary players in Wellsy's SL XIII unfortunately. Apart from Sully, the other stand out player I can come up with is Mick Crane. Hugely gifted footballer and I wanted to mention him before RoyBoy did. I think Terry Clawson played for both and possibly one of the Drake twins from the Hull pack of the fifties. Can't be bothered to think of any more at the mo as I'm still sulking.

Indeed there are. But bother Hull sides have been pretty ordinary (being generous) for the majority of the last 8 seasons!
Posted Image

#8 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Rovers have been anything but ordinary over the last 8 seasons! Everything is relative but having spent time in the lower leagues Rovers fans have been more than satisfied with our ability to compete. The most commonly used word by Rovers fans about their friends across the River is "arrogant" which sums this point up.

Clive Sullivan would win any poll but it would be interesting to see a vote result weighted in favour of 60s 70s and 80s players to allow for the obvious bias in favour of current players.

Is Clive the only player to score over 100 tries for each club.

Andy Dannatt, another name dragged from the memory bank. Can always go to the record books but far more challenging to dig deep into the mind.

Alan Holdstock? Coverley?

Edited by stevereed100, 18 May 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#9 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

No Paul Cook?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#10 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

Shaun Briscoe played for both clubs with distinction

#11 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

They say short term memory is the first to go!

#12 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Paul Rose Colin Cooper Phil Coupland et al.....now he was a star larker.

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Bloody hell, forgot about Shaun! Great player that we should never have let go. I'm getting rid of McDonnell for him!
Posted Image

#14 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Not being funny Hull fans, but when you look at Wellsy's list Rovers have had the best of 10 or 11 of those players. Very poor recruitment/retention over a short period, much of which has smacked of trying to get one over Rovers rather than what has been the best for the team.

Still, if Hull had sold Yeaman and co to Rovers 5 years ago, perhaps they'd be laughing.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

Rovers have been anything but ordinary over the last 8 seasons! Everything is relative but having spent time in the lower leagues Rovers fans have been more than satisfied with our ability to compete. The most commonly used word by Rovers fans about their friends across the River is "arrogant" which sums this point up.

How's that chip on your shoulder? ;)

You avoided relegation, finished bottom half of the table twice, and scraped into the play offs a few times. Other than finishing fourth once 5 years ago, it's been incredibly ordinary.
I fail to see how it's arrogant to say that we're ordinary? But if you want to throw labels around, "delusional" usually comes up when talking about how good Rovers fans think their team is in comparison to the real world.

And just to put things in perspective (since you brought up relativity), in Hull's first 8 seasons in SL after a few years in the lower leagues, we finished 3rd twice and won the Challenge Cup. Just saying...
Posted Image

#16 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

You also merged with another club to help your case.

With our financial resources compared to other SL clubs....sthg Hull fans constantly threw at us...I think we have done remarkably well....remembering most other teams had several years of SL riches to build on.

But that is not my point. You choose to describe your team Hull as ordinary. I choose to be proud of my teams achievements, having produced some good wins home and away against much stronger clubs.

But of course Hull rule the roost and are the major team in town....and we mustnt be cheeky.

You try to mock us by claiming we are obsessed with winning the Derby above all else...shame we keep on doing it but one day Rodney Hull will turn the tables and regain their rightful place at the top of SL.

Back to the topic....who do you want off us this year?

#17 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

You also merged with another club to help your case.

With our financial resources compared to other SL clubs....sthg Hull fans constantly threw at us...I think we have done remarkably well....remembering most other teams had several years of SL riches to build on.

Your financial resources? Haven't you got a chairman that regularly spends up to the cap?
I didn't realise us Hull fans had an effect on your club? What a poor excuse!
And we wouldn't have had to merge had your club agreed to let us in to the NFP, remember that. Turned out alright for us in the end like...

But that is not my point. You choose to describe your team Hull as ordinary. I choose to be proud of my teams achievements, having produced some good wins home and away against much stronger clubs.

I'd like to think we have a bit more ambition than just beating the big clubs every once in a while. If say you're not helping the ordinary case there.

But of course Hull rule the roost and are the major team in town....and we mustnt be cheeky.

You try to mock us by claiming we are obsessed with winning the Derby above all else...shame we keep on doing it but one day Rodney Hull will turn the tables and regain their rightful place at the top of SL.

And again, you're not helping your case. There's more to SL than winning the derby. You can keep winning it, we'll just keep getting to finals.

Back to the topic....who do you want off us this year?

Oh the irony!
Posted Image

#18 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

You have a fantastic ability to ignore the point being made and continue with your High and mighty Hull centric responses.

The best example being your return to an attempt to create a Rovers obsession with winning the Derby.....we cannot help it if we keep winning....but the truth is like you we want to get to finals, without getting badly beaten.

Perhaps you could get back to the point and put your mind to putting some serious names for an all star team of players having played for both clubs. Perhaps you would like to drop Colborn Wheeldon and Watts from your original squad as they are definitely not worthy....none of the 3 can claim any quality for both sides.

#19 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

when did james webster play for fc???? he left widnes to take up a coaching role and retired from the game,

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#20 Rubecula

Rubecula
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

Andy Smith, Paul Parker, Craig Murdock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users